Powder Mountain paradise (2/16-2/20 2016)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Powder Mountain paradise (2/16-2/20 2016)

onscott
This post was updated on .
Hardcore skiing for 5 straight days in Utah...didn't think I had it in me at age 52!  Had planned to have my daughter join me but one month after we made plans (in November) she informed me that she was pregnant (w/my second grandchild) and that she probably couldn't go (doc said NO!).  So I went solo and wife was very concerned about safety so I hired a guide for first three days.  Spent one day each at Snowbird, Alta and Brighton (all days w/guide) and had a great time exploring the lesser known areas of each resort and gaining valuable tips on how to improve as a skier.  My guide was 20 y.o. and had boundless energy and enthusiasm...if you've never skied with a guide before you should try it.

Anyway, guide wasn't available after the first three days so I needed to go some place where the runs weren't as scary and the snow was better.  There's this little (as in 7000 acres if you include their cat skiing) place called Powder Mountain (PowMow for short) outside of Odgen, Utah...with a name like Powder Mountain how could you go wrong?  You can't.

Day 1 was at the resort itself.  It had snowed about 6" the night before and the place looked great upon arrival.  Wisely took the free 2 hour mountain tour - this place is convoluted to say the least.  "Base" lodge is 3/4 up the mountain at about 8,200 ft.  There are multiple ridges, canyons, etc. that are all in-bounds, plus there is "out of bounds" that is also in-bounds.  Anyway, do you know hard it is to listen to a tour guide describe the area when all around you is untracked snow?  Finally bailed on the tour and started exploring...here's what I found:

Endless, untracked terrain as far as the eye could see.  This on a day where the locals told may they hadn't seen that many people at the resort in as long as they could remember!

As I continued exploring I saw a gate/trail called "Powder Country".  Wasn't sure what to make of it because of the dire warning signs (you are entering expert terrain, etc. etc.) so I waited for some locals to go in and tagged along.  Down we went through deep powder and trees for quite awhile until we came out at the access road (to the base of the resort).  Followed the road down to a landing and a minute later a bus pulls up...everyone loads up and back to the resort base we go...what the hell?!!  Lapped this one for a few times (untracked lines each time) and then noticed that people were coming down on the other side of the road as well.  Took a bit to figure out how to get there (you have to ride a different lift up) but in short order I was over there and heading down.  Untracked but much steeper...in a bit over my head but made it down to the bus stop.  Found out that Powmow also has a snow cat running up two other areas of the resort for $20/ride.  A bargain considering that these are high exposed areas (SP does avy control) that provide long/hi vert. runs.

So that's the $75 dollar lift ticket version of Powder Mountain.  Then there's the BC snow cat operation (this is the $425 lift ticket) that is run from this resort.  On my 5th and last day of skiing I signed up for this trip.  Was a bit spooked b/c the night before they emailed us and said that only the advanced/expert terrain was available due to the fact that some fat tire bike race was going to be in and around the mellower terrain.  Was further spooked b/c the woman at the desk asked if I had powder skis; I said "I think so" and she asked how wide they were.  I said "96mm under foot" - she frowned and said "you really should have 105's or above - we can rent you some".  I'm thinking WTF, since when do you need 2'x6's to ski powder?  I declined the rental but my anxiety level was through the roof and I began to doubt my abilities even though I had just skied the same powder the day before w/out any problems.

Anyway, the anxiety went away after we road the cat (holds 12 people) up and dropped in on a treed run of fairly easy terrain.  The 96mm's worked as they did the day before and we all carved up some nice foot deep powder w/out any problems.  As the day progressed the runs got harder but the snow got a little deeper as well so it didn't seem much harder.

On the 2nd to last run I made it down to about 12 feet above the cat track - all that was left was a steep 45 degree incline to the actual cat track itself.  I tried to pick my way through some brush and caught my left ski - before I knew it I was facing uphill in a full spread eagle then fell right on to my back.  Slid down all of the way and almost took out four skiers...fortunately they jumped out of the way but my legs were a twisted mess.  Strained my left hip flexor and could barely walk the next day.

Anyway, it was a great two days at the little place called Powder Mountain.  Honestly, I think I'll skip LCC/BCC next year and make Ogden my home base for the week.  In addition to Powder Mountain there is Snowbasin and also Beaver Mountain (a bit further) that also has endless untracked tree skiing.  Alta and Snowbird are awesome places but can get crowded and tracked out within 2-3 hours of opening.  Plus, a lot of their terrain is at the edge of my skiing abilities.  Powmow on the other hand, is just right.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Powder Mountain paradise (2/16-2/20)

PeeTex
Powder is a great place to get untracked. The snow is usually not as light as Alta/bird but untracked is everywhere.
Looks like you hit it with great conditions.

I have been skiing 85s in the dense Sierra snow, use to consider these powder boards but 105s might be the ticket for next year. The 95s you were on should have been plenty fine for Utah. I am sure PowMow gets lots of gapers so they want to stress the wide boards.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Great report & photos!  I really need to check out PowMow and Snowbasin on my next Utah trip!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Excellent - thanks for the report and pictures
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Powder Mountain paradise (2/16-2/20 2016)

Z
In reply to this post by onscott
Powmo and Targhee are the best non commercial areas in the US

I have been there the last two years and we absolutely loved it.  We have been booked for the full day cat but it never ran either due to lack of snow or lack of enough paid skiers.  Thier pay per ride cat skiing is great too.  Check out my TR from the last couple years.

We skied a good portion of the day with a mt host and I feel I know it decently well now.  There is so many aspects you can always find the goods.  This place is truely epic.  The only issue is in bad years it's lower compared to LCC so it gets crusty layers in its lower sections.

My plan is to retire to Targhee.  If it wasn't for the Mormon thing and the lower taxes I would probably pick PowMo
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Coach Z wrote
Powmo and Targhee are the best non commercial areas in the US

I have been there the last two years and we absolutely loved it.  We have been booked for the full day cat but it never ran either due to lack of snow or lack of enough paid skiers.  Thier pay per ride cat skiing is great too.  Check out my TR from the last couple years.

We skied a good portion of the day with a mt host and I feel I know it decently well now.  There is so many aspects you can always find the goods.  This place is truely epic.  The only issue is in bad years it's lower compared to LCC so it gets crusty layers in its lower sections.

My plan is to retire to Targhee.  If it wasn't for the Mormon thing and the lower taxes I would probably pick PowMo
The west side of the Teets is extremely Mormon. It's gotten better with all of the Jaxn transplants but it's still a little weird. A little farther west in into Fremont County and it's extreme red neck Mormon. It's down right creepy.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Driggs has a Catholic church.  None in the Odgen Valley.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by onscott
Great pics. I love Powmow. We did our first day there a few weeks ago. First time back in about 5 years and it was interesting to see how many new houses have been built at the summit. I could tell that some money has been dropped in the cosmetics of the restaurants and bars but other than that the place is pretty much unchanged.

Did you happen to find a black iphone 6 on the steep side of powder country?
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Oh and to the op nice pics, I agree with coach the terrain looks a lot like the terrain at GTR.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote

All of my information comes from the young family types transitioning from the ski bum life from Jxn. I think it's a little odd dealing with the schools there and other parents so it's not going to be the same issues for a retired couple. The transplant scene is actually pretty cool, a lot of classic old school legends have moved into that area.

A also think that GTR is a great place to retire for an older skier that just wants to ski powder on mellow-ish terrain (perfect powder skiing pitches) and not deal with the crowds.
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Coach - not sure how the Ogden Valley is defined, but there are certainly Catholic churches in Ogden. If you get a chance next time, stay a night or two in Ogden. It is obvious that a lot of things are going on in the central business district there. Art studios. bars, restaurants, etc. Houses are relatively cheap and the town seems to pride itself on being a little "rebellious". If I could convince the wife to move out that way I would seriously consider it. It wouldn't be as isolated as Driggs either.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by Danzilla
No, but our guide said he and the crew recovered over 500 cell phones one year!  They try to find the owners but if not they donate them to the air force base and reprogram them for use by soldiers.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
thanks for the pics, looks really nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

onscott
In reply to this post by PeeTex
I've only had one "blower" powder day in all of my trips to Utah.  It's like Bigfoot - people claim to have seen it but I never have!  I swear the lightest powder I've ever skied is the lake effect snow in Upstate NY.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
onscott wrote
I've only had one "blower" powder day in all of my trips to Utah.  It's like Bigfoot - people claim to have seen it but I never have!  I swear the lightest powder I've ever skied is the lake effect snow in Upstate NY.

very true... i have skied in Utah about 30 times..yep only one or two true powder days..
"Peace and Love"