classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
39 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Powder Mt expansion

Z
By saying PowMo is 3D as in 3 dimensional.  This place has several layers.  It's the most 3D ski area you will ever find.  You start sort of in the middle and there is skiing both above, behind, and in front if the main base lodge.  The trail map does not do it justice just how big it is and how many different elevations and aspects it has.  You be going holy crap that looks great but how do i get there plus there is a lot of stuff you can't see from lifts.

Highly recommend hooking up with a local or hiring a guide.  I've been there a couple of times and once I had an instructor show me around and the other time got a private tour with a courtesy patrol guy.  He said he would take a run with us thru the trees and did his best to lose us.  When he stopped after a couple thousand Vert and my son was still right on his ass he decided we were worthy of being really shown the "goods"

Really cool cat skiing pay per run op.  I think it's 15 bucks and you are supposed to buy tickets at the lodge but the cat driver on your second pass will take tips instead.  Check out my TRs from my past trips.

The new owners of PowMo are Silicon Valley types.  Not really skiers maybe some boarders.  The want to turn it into some hipster type place.  Hope they don't succeed.  It's now a duct tape kind of crowd and it's a great place to ski.

What makes Targhee so great is the snow.  Best snow anywhere.  So dry.  Double what Jackson gets.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Coach Z wrote
Double what Jackson gets.
Coach, ftw: double what Jackson gets, huh? So Targhee gets over 700"/yr?  Granted they get about 100" more...but it's not even close to double. I see you've been taking lessons from the Trump School of Spewing Falsehoods.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Probably best to not read too much into Coach's late night posts.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Targhee real shines with it's orientation.  JH faces east , so from mid feb on it bakes in the sun..Targhee has a more northerly exposure..

I will not pull the trigger until a few days before I want to leave..Waiting on weather and conditions..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I've never liked full northern exposures.  It sucks skiing in flat light for pretty much all of December.  That being said, for glade skiing, it's the best exposure.

I like to have a combination of East South and West exposure so that one can follow the Sun throughout the day.  Steamboat and Tremblant are the only places I've skied so far that have this.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
I'm in Arizona so it was only 10 pm and I was having my first adult beverage of the evening when I wrote that.

My bad I thought they averaged 600" and it turns out is 500"

The locals will tell you it snows much more at GT.  It will be puking there and sunny on the other side of the Tetons.  
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by snoloco
GT has a Western exposure with North and South facing aspects off the spines in the mt

PowMo has every aspect.  I've skied fluffy stuff in the morning and perfect corn in the afternoon on the different aspects.  
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by snoloco
snoloco wrote
I've never liked full northern exposures.  It sucks skiing in flat light for pretty much all of December.  That being said, for glade skiing, it's the best exposure.

I like to have a combination of East South and West exposure so that one can follow the Sun throughout the day.  Steamboat and Tremblant are the only places I've skied so far that have this.
Bromley!
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
The pow lives on the north faces as well as lurking dragons. Danger danger Will Robinson.

Jackson has every aspect on it, Granite is all north facing, that's why it's called the dark side.

The Ghee gets dumped huge and although it's a mellow skiing mountain the shots off of Peaked and Mary's can be very exciting. Mid line 60 foot freefall drops are pretty standard for many of the locals. Nitwits is one of the best pow lines there is right off a lift, just don't get caught on that one.

If I can find it I'll post up a cool article on the backside lines.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
This post was updated on .
This article appeared in the 2000/01 winter issue of Teton Valley Magazine. It's got a bunch of cool local history on the ski lines/drops on Targhees backside, I love this stuff and that's why I have kept it all these years.

Check out the photo of Nitwits coach, that's right behind the Blackfoot chair, you roll off the ramp, look around for patrol and if it looks clear throw the rop over your head and you are right on that thing. The traverse back is a coast and cruiser for the most part and it dumps you out right near the bottom of the chair. You could, in theory bust out 8 of these in a day.

The massive cliff located in between Cherry's Couloir and Brattains Couloir is the famous record breaking drop  that Jaime Pierre sent years ago.

The last few pages are a little out of order but you can figure it out.

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Old School skinny ski hucking at the Ghee.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Powder Mt exapnsion

riverc0il
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
raisingarizona wrote
Unless you aren't a fan of steep terrain Jackson sort of ruins you for every other mountain in the lower 48. It's gotten crowded, the Vill sort of sucks now with the ritzy crap (I feel uncomfortable in almost every place there now) it used to be dirt baggy up until around the mid 2000's and now that The VC is gone there isn't a legit local watering hole that has any sort of grit to it but the mountain is still the mountain and the tram......well if you are there on the right day and lap 8 or ten rides on Big Red then you know what I'm sayin. :) It was the best place to be a ski bum in my 20's, gawd dang it was rowdy!
I heard this type of thing a lot when I was out there, how the place wasn't what it used to be and it had gotten "crowded". I almost laughed in people's faces when they said the mountain had become crowded. I was there for five days a few years ago including part of the weekend (Fri/Sun, we did Sat at GT) and it snowed 6-8" almost every night... I was stunned just how uncrowded the place was. Excepting the tram (which was a stupid long line, I think we only took 2 rides all week), I think the only line we had was like 5 minutes for the Sublette. We stayed at the Hostel which was an awesome experience and ate frequently at the Moose which was great. It wasn't dirt baggy but it still felt like a classic ski experience despite the expensive surroundings.
Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
Thanks for the video RA, fun times in the not so distant past.
I've had the pleasure of chasing some of those fellows in the mid-ninetys.
While the bottem of the hill and the lifts have grown....the mountain and the snow remain the same.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
There's a group of old guys who ski there that call themselves the Thargeezers. They have a logo and sticker. Benny wants one.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
AZ,  aren't you in that vid???
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
No, I was in Steamboat still when the Continuum came out in 96.

I'll come back with some stories though maybe tomorrow if I have the time. I have to hit the books today and get ready for an exam tomorrow.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Ha. I have The Continuum somewhere downstairs on VHS.

I'm not old school...I'm just old. ;)
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Good deal
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I'm pretty sure I have a DVD of the continuum if someone wants it as a stocking stuffer.