Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Powder Mt expansion

Z
This post was updated on .
http://www.powdermountain.com/en/about-mountain/news/

PowMo is adding two new lifts that will connect into the summit village they are building.  The skiing will be in the drainage that they use for their all day cat skiing op.  This place is already huge and will now be even bigger.

They also are building a new access road to the new village.  The current access road is pretty nasty if its snowing.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Powder Mt exapnsion

JasonWx
Pow Mtn and Targhee are on my short list..
I am looking for a deserted place without lines or pressure...
I have between Jan 7-13 to go somewhere..
"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
both are excellent choices - I love them both.  If that is MLK weekend I would go with PowMo as Targhee only has a few lifts and PowMo is so big is spreads the traffic they do get way out.

There are a bunch of condos in Eden on vrbo you can rent just down the hill from PowMo.  its easier to get to than Targhee - its about 75 to 90 mins from SLC airport.  Targhee is a tough drive over Teton Pass from Jackson or a couple hours from Idaho Springs.  Both have limited lodging on site with almost nothing to do at night and only one or two places to eat.  Both have small cool funky towns about 20 mins downhill

great vibe at both - they are on my short list for where I want to retire
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I will be leaving before MLK...Also will be traveling solo..Just need a simple restaurant and clean hotel room with tv and internet..
I have had enough of the LCC shit show..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Definitely go to PowMow - hit it for first time last season(after skiing Utah for years and never checking it out).  Place was awesome. No crowds. Plenty of space.  Not the steepest stuff in UT but great terrain anyways.  And some surprisingly great Mexican food in Hidden lake Lodge.  We were actually there the day Backcountry Mag was doing there 2017 ski gear review testing, it was cool to meet all the ppl associated with that.  Hit Shooting Star Saloon afterwards, I think it's in Eden.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Another vote for PowMow over GT.  For a short trip, the problem at GT can be visibility.  If you don't know the mountain there really aren't many areas with trees for guidance.  Driggs is a fun little town for a few nights.  GT works best as part of a trip to JH.  Or driving from SLC to Big Sky for people who have time for travel days during a ski trip.

Staying in Eden, if PowMow doesn't have decent conditions then Snowbasin is right there too.
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Snowbasin another great, uncrowded place.
Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
i have been to SB..
I want it to be a ghost town....total ski on lifts etc...
"Peace and Love"
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Mid week on a non holiday week is zero lift lines at PowMo.  One issue at PowMo will be its huge and skiing by yourself off piste and in the woods maybe isn't the best idea.  Try to hook up with some locals or even the courtesy patrol.  They also have a guide service that is fairly cheap for a day.  It's a very 3D mountain and learning your way around would be very helpful.

Targhee on a pow day has lift lines even mid week.  There are only really 3 lifts there.

Both are awesome you really can't lose either way
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
sounds good...i would sign up for a 4hr lesson or some kind of tour/guide
thanks for the info
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
It's a very 3D mountain and learning your way around would be very helpful.
What does this mean? Is there a mountain that isn't 3D?

I've never been to PowMow, but I've been to Targhee and meh, not a huge fan of the mountain. It's okay, and I was there on some pretty sweet powder days, but I just wasn't as impressed as I was by Jackson Hole. And there were definitely lift lines. Town is okay, but it's kinda far away from stuff.

I'd like to check out PowMow, but I read this article and it sounds like it has the potential to be full of insufferable a-holes:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbertoni/2013/01/02/club-ted-inside-summits-powder-mountain-entrepreneur-camp/amp/

I guess I'd try to avoid the "entrepreneur summit" if I went.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Unless you aren't a fan of steep terrain Jackson sort of ruins you for every other mountain in the lower 48. It's gotten crowded, the Vill sort of sucks now with the ritzy crap (I feel uncomfortable in almost every place there now) it used to be dirt baggy up until around the mid 2000's and now that The VC is gone there isn't a legit local watering hole that has any sort of grit to it but the mountain is still the mountain and the tram......well if you are there on the right day and lap 8 or ten rides on Big Red then you know what I'm sayin. :) It was the best place to be a ski bum in my 20's, gawd dang it was rowdy!

That being said I think powder mt. looks pretty fun. Ive watched some vids and there is some good terrain to be had. I think it could be one of the most popular areas in Utah if they added more grooming and lifts but it doesn't sound that's what they are after there. That's cool.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
raisingarizona wrote
  It was the best place to be a ski bum in my 20's, gawd dang it was rowdy!

That's the stuff I want to hear about!

You should start a new thread
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
ADmiKe wrote
Snowbasin another great, uncrowded place.
From what I read last season, Snowbasin is no longer uncrowded on weekends.  The locals are not happy.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
Coach Z wrote
It's a very 3D mountain and learning your way around would be very helpful.
What does this mean? Is there a mountain that isn't 3D?

I've never been to PowMow, but I've been to Targhee and meh, not a huge fan of the mountain. It's okay, and I was there on some pretty sweet powder days, but I just wasn't as impressed as I was by Jackson Hole. And there were definitely lift lines. Town is okay, but it's kinda far away from stuff.

I'd like to check out PowMow, but I read this article and it sounds like it has the potential to be full of insufferable a-holes:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.forbes.com/sites/stevenbertoni/2013/01/02/club-ted-inside-summits-powder-mountain-entrepreneur-camp/amp/

I guess I'd try to avoid the "entrepreneur summit" if I went.
My impression is that even during a Summit event at PowMow, those people are not skiing.  They are attending organized group sessions.  In the future when more Summit members have houses at PowMow, some of them will ski.  But that's a ways away.

That said, if you were bored at GT then PowMow is probably not the best fit.  Places like JH, Snowbird, or Aspen Highlands are in a class by themselves.  I avoided all of them as an adult intermediate.  Waited until I could ski the harder terrain at Alta before it seemed worth branching out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Powder Mt expansion

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by marznc
What do the locals do for a living?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Harvey wrote
What do the locals do for a living?
You mean local to Snowbasin/PowMow, which are in the Ogden Valley?  The city of Ogden is not a small place, population over 500,000.  Still have military-related businesses even though the army moved out in 1997.  Turns out the IRS is the largest employer now.

I know of people who moved to SLC for the skiing who opted to settle in the Ogden Valley instead of SLC because the air quality in SLC is terrible during the summer.  Even in the winter, you can see the smog when driving towards the city from the north or south.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm skeptical of people who don't like their customers.  But it sounds like in this case many locals don't gain their living from direct or indirect tourism.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Harvey wrote
I'm skeptical of people who don't like their customers.  But it sounds like in this case many locals don't gain their living from direct or indirect tourism.
Although the "locals" who I know who are sad that Snowbasin has been "discovered" in recent years are, or were, in the ski industry.  In some cases, they moved from another ski resort to get away from the growing crowds.  My sense is that true locals who grew up in the Ogden valley who are avid skiers are few and far between.

Some locals were not happy with the change in ownership at PowMow.  However, it was clear it would be sold sooner or later and a new owner would undoubtedly build new housing one way or another.  So Summit got enough support from the people who mattered to move ahead.

The new business that's more interesting to me is that a new heli/cat operations has opened just north of PowMow.  Something like 60,000 acres . . . just over an hour from SLC airport.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
I remember reading that there were a lot of outdoor gear retailer businesses making Ogden their home base a few years ago.