Prescription Goggles

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Prescription Goggles

xWeatherMan
Anyone have an y experience using prescription goggles? My eyesight isn't is good as it once was and I'm wondering how well they work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Prescription Goggles

Face4Me
I've been using them for years ... they work great!

I ordered them through my optometrist. The original order included a standard Bolle goggle and a plastic frame containing the prescription lenses that gets inserted into the front of the google. At the time, I went online & ordered several additional pairs of the goggles (with different lenses for different conditions) so that I can move the prescription insert from goggle to goggle as needed, based on conditions.

They generally don't fog with one notable exception ... if it's extremely cold out, when I go into the gondola at Whiteface, if I leave the goggles on top of my helmet, the prescription insert gets fogged up and then freezes immediately upon leaving the gondola car. I've learned that on the really cold days, I remove the goggle from my helmet before I get into the car and just hold them in my hand and put them back on when I get out at the top.

Other than that, they are awesome and highly recommended.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Funny this thread started as I've been looking into these as well. Glad to know you've been using them, Face. That gives me more confidence in stepping out and getting some. I did learn that they are just an insert and can be installed in any pair of goggles. I'll call my optometrist to see if they can help as well, but I found this place online.

http://www.adseyewear.com/prescription-ski-goggles-universal-insert/

Up until now I've always skied with my contacts but really can't see sqwaadoosh with them anymore. Had to stop wearing them full-time for work etc about 3 years ago, and have gone back to glasses. That's fine, cause chicks dig glasses.

p.s. Welcome back Face
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Get your script from your doc and got to SportRX.com. Order the SportRX XPF Google for $125 which is about what you pay for a regular pair of glasses. The script is ground into the lense, no inserts to fog up
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I bet those ^^^^ work even better.

How long have you used them?
Reply | Threaded
|

Face4Me
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Get your script from your doc and got to SportRX.com. Order the SportRX XPF Google for $125 which is about what you pay for a regular pair of glasses. The script is ground into the lense, no inserts to fog up
I preferred the insert type because it lets me use different goggle lenses. I got them about 10 years ago, so I'm sure a lot has changed since then. As I said, I had ordered several extra pairs of the goggles after I got the insert and those have lasted me, but unfortunately, I'm on my final pair now! I had the prescription on the insert changed last year and didn't have to worry about getting new goggles. I'll have to look into the SportRX goggle you mentioned above when my last pair of goggles bites the dust.

Campgottagopee wrote
p.s. Welcome back Face
Thanks.
It's easy to be against something ... It's hard to be for something!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I have had them for at least 8 years, same pair, i got polycarbonate lenses so they don't scratch easily. Mine are Uvex, bought SportRX took the design over a few years back. I will need to replace them soon as the felt is wearing out.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
I did the Bolle goggles with the Rx insert for a number of years. I had terrible problems with fogging. Cat Crap and other rub-on treatments didn't work at all. The Smith cloth at least reduced the fogging to a smear. If you don't sweat much when you exert yourself (some people are like that; not me), you should be fine.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
My ophthalmologist (who was a skier) recommended against them because as soon as you remove your goggles - entering the lodge- you can't see.  So, I went with contacts, which don't fog. If you uncorrected vision is not too bad than maybe the goggles make more sense for you.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
TomCat wrote
My ophthalmologist (who was a skier) recommended against them because as soon as you remove your goggles - entering the lodge- you can't see.  So, I went with contacts, which don't fog. If you uncorrected vision is not too bad than maybe the goggles make more sense for you.

tom
There is this novel concept, maybe your opthalologist may not have heard of, it's called the pocket. Most jackets have them and you know what is really neat, you can put a pair of glasses there for when you walk indoors. Really cool.