Probability they open The Slides?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
57 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: probability they open the slides?

Skidds
Wasn't that about the time they officially went on the map?  I recall before that you went further left off the chair, and hiked up above the rocks toward the true summit.  I assume it turned right not too high up and probably brought you higher up in the Slides than the current traverse.  Never got in then, was that the case, or is my mind shot?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by tjf1967
tjf1967 wrote
Yeah that is just wrong.  Going down slide three if someone were in the bushes you would pick up the beep.  How can that not help.  

As far as them making sure people have them turned on well that will come.
Seems you don't understand how a beacon works. If the patroller is in RX mode looking for some unreported lost person he is not in TX mode. If he is not in TX mode his safety is in jeopardy because if something were to happen he could not be found and thus it makes his sweep less safe. You should only be in RX mode when you are looking for a person presumed to be lost or injured and the area you are searching is safe from further Avalanche (ie the release has already occurred).

Now as far as sweep efficiency is concerned, beacons are very sensitive devices, when there is no transmit signal they can occasionally pick up background noise, would the patroller be required to follow every false lead as he is making his way through difficult terrain?

So what could cause electrical interference and a false trigger, any electrical device within about 40 cm according to research at Alaska Pacific University. That means the patrollers radio or cell phone. Should he turn those off as well?

Your suggestion, although well intentioned, just isn't practical.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Sh....oot, someone tell them to add the eating popcorn smiley.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Based on how firm it was today the slides IMO are not opening on Monday unless it gets sunny
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

freshyslayer
patrol is ski cutting above the traverse today to check for stability and there is a good chance they will open. about 10" last night
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
Based on current conditions report, looks like they are open, doesn't mention status (Silver or Gold).
Reply | Threaded
|

freshyslayer
silver opening
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
I had my gear in my locker but it was I was skiing with my son and I don't have two sets of Avy gear...yet.  Will need to get a second set for him
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
Tomorrow could be an epic spring slides day. I can't wait.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
This doesn't sound like epic

Tonight Freezing rain and sleet likely before midnight, then snow and sleet likely between midnight and 1am, then snow likely after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 19. Wind chill values as low as -2. Very windy, with a north wind 32 to 41 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total nighttime ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Monday A chance of freezing drizzle, mainly before noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 26. Wind chill values as low as -3. Very windy, with a north wind 37 to 43 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph.
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
skimore wrote
This doesn't sound like epic

Tonight Freezing rain and sleet likely before midnight, then snow and sleet likely between midnight and 1am, then snow likely after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 19. Wind chill values as low as -2. Very windy, with a north wind 32 to 41 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total nighttime ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible. Total nighttime snow and sleet accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Monday A chance of freezing drizzle, mainly before noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 26. Wind chill values as low as -3. Very windy, with a north wind 37 to 43 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph.
I don't know dude, maybe what you posted will be right. Accuweather says sunny and 38, other forecasts  are in between ...its snowing pretty good right now and I'll make the best of it tomorrow no matter what happens.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
HPD was right. Skimore was wrong.

Great slide, trees and trail day! 330 was a Sunday fun day for the record books.
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
I was commenting about today. 1" overnight doesn't sound epic
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
skimore wrote
Umm, something tells me you've heard that before!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
ScottyJack wrote
skimore wrote
Hahahaha. Well played.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
mattchuck2 wrote
ScottyJack wrote
skimore wrote
Hahahaha. Well played.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
skimore wrote
Must be why she's your ex now
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
With the Summit Quad on wind hold the Slides aren't happening yet.  Hope that changes for those who made the trip.  

Also, with the Gondola on wind hold, and WF management too cheap and/or stupid to open other lifts (see rant on behalf of my brother on the WF conditions page), looks like it could be a bust of a day all the way around, unless the wind dies down.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
It was so much better yesterday.
I ride with Crazy Horse!