classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Puffin Watch in Newfoundland

Michaeltokyo
This post was updated on .
A fun clip from my recent trip to Newfoundland.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Puffin Watch in Newfoundland

Denis.N
Last year I asked concierge at some hotel in Iceland "where can we see puffins in August", he pointed to the postcard: "here".

Later, I was able to order some at a restaurant, not bad at all. Do they serve them in Newfoundland?
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
Denis.N wrote
Later, I was able to order some at a restaurant, not bad at all. Do they serve them in Newfoundland?
I still need to make the trip to Iceland, but to answer your question, no Puffins on the menus.  Lots of Codfish, Cod Tongues, Fish n Brewis, and you can find on some of the exotic menus moose, seal and maybe even caribou. Newfoundland is not known for its cuisine, although I was delighted to find an excellent restaurant on the remote Fogo Island in Joe Batt's Arm called Nicole's Cafe.

Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
I think it was subsistence hunting that led to the Puffin's decline in some areas.

Ka-bobs?
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Michaeltokyo
The Flat Earth Society believes that the Brimstone Head, on Fogo Island,  is "one of the four corners of the earth.  The Town of Fogo has declared Brimstone Head as the capital of the Flat Earth.  The other corners are a Greek Island of Hydra, the Bermuda Triangle and Papua, New Guinea."

I had heard this years ago but sourced the quote on the official Town of Fogo web site.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
I think it was subsistence hunting that led to the Puffin's decline in some areas.

Ka-bobs?
Yea I heard it was natural causes too.

photo "courtesy" of Jersey Joey
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
The Flat Earth Society believes that the Brimstone Head, on Fogo Island,  is "one of the four corners of the earth.  The Town of Fogo has declared Brimstone Head as the capital of the Flat Earth.  The other corners are a Greek Island of Hydra, the Bermuda Triangle and Papua, New Guinea."

I had heard this years ago but sourced the quote on the official Town of Fogo web site.
I heard one of those insightful flat earth souls interviewed once. When asked " what about airplanes that fly around the world ? "

His unashamed answer was " They go to the edge of the flat earth and then turn ".

Certainly, there are some others who dispute Brimstone Head as the capital of flat earth. They feel another Fogo is not only the capital of earth but the true center of the universe and thus worthy of total worship.

Ausable Skier's unashamed explanation..... " FOGO - Face Only. Go Orda! "
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
Fogo Island is an interesting place to visit in Newfoundland, even besides Brimstone Head. My wife and I made the climb up Brimstone Head in the town of Fogo. I went with an open mind, pondering why Australians don't fall off the earth. Anyway, it was a nice hike with a lot of wooden steps for the tourists with little chance of a mishap from a fall over the edge.

Brimstone Head and the village of Fogo, NL.
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
In reply to this post by Michaeltokyo
Michaeltokyo wrote
Newfoundland is not known for its cuisine, ...
I had never thought of an Iceland as country with rich cuisine, yet every meal we had (from basic road cafe to Reykjavik restaurant) was excellent. I visited Italy few years prior and there is no comparison: Iceland wins.