classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pulled the trigger on new skis last nite

warp daddy
This post was updated on .
After Several days last week at Gore and Whiteface , decided i wanted to add something a bit wider to more easily handle the chop and crud and soft stuff to complement my Atomic SX 10' Supercross 's    The SX 10's which at 65 mmat the waist Are awesome on hardpack , groomed and iced up crap .

Doing research and speaking with reps at several locations , and after seeing my son ski on his new Crimson TI.s at both Whiteface and Gore last week , I have been watching STP for a last minute internet deal .

Well last nite it happened they had an EXTRA 40 percent on top of the regular 25 percent deal and FREE shipping ... So i pulled the trigger on new Atomic Blackeye Ti,s with the integrated binding system with ARC technology . i am hoping this ski will extend my skiing later into the season .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pulled the trigger on new skis last nite

Telemark Dave
Nice score Warp D... Good find.  Nothing quite as nice as a new pair of skis (and such a deal!!! )
BTW, I had a pair of Atomic SX 11 Supercrosses back when I was instructing (don't tell anyone I had my heels locked...) I think they were the first generation, when Atomic first added dimples to the top sheet.. They were great all round groomer skis then, I'm guessing the newest iterations still are..
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Nice job WD  ... new skis are tits!!

TD, I had a pair of those sx11's too, totally liked that ski. Some kinda green colour () with them dimples.

Telemark Dave wrote
  (don't tell anyone I had my heels locked...)

Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Thanks Guys !!!
i needed this tool so i can TRY and keep up up with my grandson and son. In the crud n stuff

I like to go fast for an ole fart and with my regular posse i can book ....... but when i ski with these two, that kid At 20 yrs old is hard to stay with now  

I feel awesome when my ski trace app says i'm in the 50's but these two are high in the 60's and still have more dammit .

At least they are kind enough to slow down "once in awhile " for gramps .

All the best to you Both, happy trails !!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
warp daddy wrote

I feel awesome when my ski trace app says i'm in the 50's but these two are high in the 60's and still have more
Your ski ap lies. Either that or you should all try out for the U.S. ski team
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Agree those apps are total BS

They can't measure in 3d only 2 so they over state your speed by a factor of the grade %.  If you were say on a 30% grade take that percent off your speed and that is your closer to your true speed
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

pro2860
That's funny...when I checked mine in my car the speed was dead nuts on. I even went up and down some hills...
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Interesting Pro , i ll ck it out

P and Coach : i cant take chit like that seriously  ,,, ....WGARA if its accurate or not ... Its a toy for boys  thats all. Cant be invested in minor details hahahaha
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
I have a pair of Atomic Crimson TI from this year.  They are solid ski.  Very good on the hard pack and good enough for the slides :)

I find they are good all mountain ski that lets me go just about anywhere I want.  They are also hold the edge great for carving purposes.  My feeling is that you won't be going back to your old Atomics.  

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by pro2860
pro2860 wrote
That's funny...when I checked mine in my car the speed was dead nuts on. I even went up and down some hills...
Same here.

It all depends on GPS accuracy and even turning (still at speed) can throw it off a bit though.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

JohnIrvingwrestles

Coach Z wrote
Agree those apps are total BS

They can't measure in 3d only 2 so they over state your speed by a factor of the grade %.  If you were say on a 30% grade take that percent off your speed and that is your closer to your true speed

This statement is actually the opposite of the truth.  The distance travelled while descending a grade is further than the horizontal distance travelled from above.  Therefore if your device is only measuring horizontal velocity, it would register a speed slower than your actual speed since it would wrongly be assuming you travelled the horizontal distance from above as opposed to the longer true distance travelled while descending a plane.

The false assumption with ski apps is that max speed is correlatable  to skier ability or skill.  I'm of the belief that any advanced intermediate can get to 50 Mph descending a moderately steep 700-800 vert. straight shot blue trail.  It doesn't take much skill to tuck and straight line such a trail to reach max velocity.  Trying it while making sharp turns, hitting rollers, or double fault lines on a steep plane and then you can suggest that individual is ready to try out for a ski team.

That being said, ski apps sure are fun to play around with....