15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pumped!

Cunningstunts
Banned User
<

This new project just finished up this week. It's at Dryer Rd MTB park in Victor, NY, which is easily accessed off of the NYS Thruway (Victor exit). There have been various incarnations of pump tracks here, but this one they went all out (I'm told there was big grant from REI involved). It's one of the only ones that I know of in upstate NY (please correct me if I'm wrong).

If you are close to these parts, come check it out. If you aren't and you happen to drive through or are coming out for some other riding, check it out.

Dryer has about 12 miles of trails in the park which are set up kind of like a European trail center. It's a small plateu with climbing and descending trails on three sides. Some are one-way so heed the signage.

There are also two breweries nearby in Victor as well as many other rides within about a half hour drive (don't use trailforks, it doesn't list even half of them).

There's also two dirt jump lines there, a skills course and a dual slalom course.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pumped!

campgottagopee
Cunning --- you ever ride or hear of "The Land"? I believe it's out your way.

https://vimeo.com/83853361
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
No!

I don't even know where this is... although I'm currently trying to find out.  It looks to be above my paygrade, but it's somewhere in the Finger Lakes (big area though) and it's private.

I know a few guys at the bike shop who might know about it.  Surprised I've never heard anything.

Where did you hear/find this?
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Finger Lakes is a big area, like you, I live there as well and I'm 2 hrs east of you. I'm 20 minutes from Skaneateles, Owasco, or Cayuga lakes.

I want to say I first saw that video on here? Maybe it was the NSChat crew that originally coughed that one up, really can't remember. I'm quite certain it's in the Rochester area. I was hopeful you had ridden there because I'm in awe of those dudes. It's WAY above my pay grade!

Let me know if you find anything out about it.

BTW -- that pump track looks cool. We have a small one (nothing like that video) at Greek Peak that I've played around on. Def a skills tuner. I primarily just ride truck/snowmobile trails around my house but have dabbled with some DH at Greek Peak. I also like the trails at Shindagin Hollow but don't get there much. I like the ease of riding right from the house.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7000687/shindagin-hollow-outer-loop
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Sweet!

Yeah, I do a most of my riding on the western edge of the Finger lakes but I get up to Rochester (and Victor) as well.

I've been to Shindagin and I like it a lot.  It's very similar to most of the other areas south of the Thruway.  Rochester is different as it's pretty smooth in some areas and others big chunks of nasty, sharp blue shale.  I've never ridden at Greek Peak and didn't really even know they had a bike park.  I know a lot of the guys in this who are into DH go all the way to Mtn Creek or WIndham.  I know there are some other parks around but they aren't popular for one reason or another - probably not enough variety, etc.  I mentioned it in another thread but only DH place I knew of in the area was Swain, and I'm 99% sure they stopped running their bike park.

I found the facebook page for The Land, and apparently one of my friends has liked it, so he might know where it is.  It doesn't look like Rochester, it looks like it's in the south of there based on the small shale they were kicking up (I know my dirts and rocks).
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Greek is brand new in the DH game, this is their 3rd summer. I'm not good enough to tell you if their trails are good or bad, I just try to hang on and survive! LOL

I'm more of a trail guy at this point --- If my tires leave the ground it's purely on accident.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Yeah, I don't know either.  DH mountain biking is strange to me.  There's so much "free" riding around I think it has to be really spectacular and have a lot of variety to keep people coming back.  They might go once but it might not entice them enough to go back.  I've never ridden WF, but I know it has a reputation of being so technical to point it's not even fun for most riders.  I guess you gotta have a good mix of tech and flow to get 'em hooked.

There's so many options for riding out here I don't have much interest in lift-served riding (and probably why it's not growing).  Within about an hour I can reach 6 riding areas with 5 to 30 miles of trail each.  And WNYMBA is working on a pretty big system in Allegany State Park.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Also I don't what type of riding you're into, but this place rides real nice. It northeast of Rochester and it has a ton of flow. There's only 6 miles of trail, but they ride good both ways. Something to check out if you are in the area as it's so smooth, it's really kind of unique. It rides like a giant pump/bmx track. The trail crew does an amazing job out here:

The jumps are optional (but fun, and not too big).
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Cunningstunts
I think they have a decent following. They're open sat and sun as well as the bar is open all summer long so they do have a lot to offer riders. Bands on the deck, good food and drink special etc etc. I'm guessing most of the riders are local (syracuse to binghamton) because like you say there aren't that many places around.

Anyway, here's a video I found. I know one of my buddies is big time into it there. He gaps maintenance roads and all that crazy shit.

Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Nice - that looks pretty doable for most intermediate riders.  Jump trail jumps are about the same size as the ones at Dryer road.

I might give that one a try next year!
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
That video is nicely done..

Got some good ideas from it.

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Whoa.  I finally rode this today, it's like the best thing Victor has ever had.  It's really nice, a work of art in dirt actually.

Not surprisingly it looks a lot bigger in person than it does on the video.  By that I mean the actual rollers and berms are BIG.  You can get crankin' around this track.

I'll also say jumping the doubles is not easy.  I couldn't, but I think I could get it on a few more practice sessions.

I don't know that it's worth driving a long distance to, but it's definitely worth riding if you are in the area.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Cunningstunts wrote
No!

I don't even know where this is... although I'm currently trying to find out.  It looks to be above my paygrade, but it's somewhere in the Finger Lakes (big area though) and it's private.

I know a few guys at the bike shop who might know about it.  Surprised I've never heard anything.

Where did you hear/find this?
This is the video Campy was referring to, I think I posted it somewhere here a few years ago (sorry, embed tags don't seem to work anymore):

https://vimeo.com/83853361
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Cunningstunts
Banned User
Thanks bud.  I saw it on Facebook.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey