classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Z
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Quebec resort hopping advice

Z
Between a cash crunch and not having enough time between work schedules and race schedules I’m thinking about doing a 4-5 day trip thru the townships and Quebec City.  Im not going with the Ikon pass to save money so that frees things up considerably.  I went back and read icecoastchefs bolg post and it sounds pretty good.  Looking at a window in mid feb in the race schedule before Pres week.  

I have a ton of ff and hotel points but can’t get flights on points during that time.  I could get 5 nights in the Delta hotel or Marriott in Quebec City for free.

Some areas on my radar are orford, massif du sud, st Anne, and Le massif

QC is only a 4 hour drive so I’m not blowing vacation days traveling asi would if going to to SLC and I’d save on parking rental car and with the exchange rate its a good deal now.

How is it day hoping from QC?  I’d be skiing during the week I think so crowds should be low.  Orford I would do on way home I think but I’m not sure it’s worth it.

Any suggestions from those that have done this trip.  It’s always been something I wanted to do
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Quebec resort hopping advice

Harvey
Administrator
James to the white courtesy phone.

Or maybe look here:

https://nyskiblog.com/magazine/quebec/

Orford looks like fabulous trees to me.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
We did in in 2001. It is easy to use QC as a base. There is very little traffic midweek to the ski areas. We stayed at the amazing Chateau Frontenac. It was about 30 minutes to Mt St Anne and less than an hour to the top parking at Le Massif. Stoneham is slightly closer, but we did not try Stoneham. Staying in QC allows for awesome food and nightlife if you want.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Harvey
Thanks Harv
Makes me want to make this happen
With the exchange rate and the increasingly corporatiztion of US skiing the timing of this seems perfect to me
Load up the Subaru and head northeast

After google mapping it sud looks pretty far off the path I was thinking it was on the way back to Orford but maybe more driving than I want to do

I also have a bucket list trip that I’d like to go cat skiing in the chic chocs but that would be a guys trip and this one would be a vacation with the wife.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
Z wrote
After google mapping it sud looks pretty far off the path
Massif du Sud is only an hour or so from Quebec City, highly recommended. Here's my original TR.

If you have an entire week, I'd break it up -- half based in QC, half based further north so you can ski these fun dark-horse ski areas Mont Edouard, Mont Grand-Fonds, and Valinouët (Matt's great report from last December).

... and here are my TRs from Mont Sainte Anne and Le Massif.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Z
Can't say anything bad about a trip to Quebec. We skied MSA, Le Massif and Massif du Sud..We had the most fun at Massif du Sud...That place is special...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Stayed in QC last feb break and hit MSA and Massif.  Fantastic time at both.   No crowds great coverage.    Previous feb break did Sutton and jay.  Hit Sutton weekday.   Tried to hit massif sud spent night in hotel an hour away but it closed due to rain.   Will try there again based on feedback here over the years.   Reminder sud open Friday’s and weekends.  Hit a Friday as the snow will be fresh

Check out liftopia.   The close places are dirt cheap like owls head orford and bromont. Will hit these three in a single trip maybe this year.  So cheap.    Summitted owls heads in a spartan race a year ago.  Definitely looks fun to ski a day from the top and bottom.   Some steeps too. Quebec has do much to offer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Milo Maltbie
+1 on LeMassif. The place is beautiful and I had the best meal I ever had at a ski area in the cafeteria there. I wold have been happy with that if it were served in a fancy restaurant.

Mount Saint Anne was pretty scratchy the day I was there, but it looked interesting.

mm
"Everywhere I turn, here I am." Susan Tedeschi
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
So if I do a day at sud I would have 3 days to spilt between St Anne and Le Massif.  Which one would you do twice?

How crowded would Sud be on a Saturday?  It only has one fixed grip quad
My wife doesnt like skiing in trees will she be ok at Sud staying on groomers?

What about the others on a Saturday?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
when we skied Sud, we were the only english speakers on the mountain. We had great snow and no crowds..

I did not like MSA , If conditions are good Le Massif is unreal..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
2 days at Massif.  Not that you couldn't have fun at MSA though.  Or, if you have 3 days, throw in Stoneham.  That was our original intent before the weather turned that trip too, rather than 2 days at either place.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Z wrote
So if I do a day at sud I would have 3 days to spilt between St Anne and Le Massif.  Which one would you do twice?
I didn't dig the 80s feel at MSA's base (that was in 2010, no idea if things have changed), but there's a lot of nice terrain there -- I bet that you'll like it. To answer your question: if the weather is bluebird, two days at Massif/if not, two days at MSA.

Z wrote
My wife doesnt like skiing in trees will she be ok at Sud staying on groomers?
Not a concern, plenty of groomers at Sud for one day (including a nice steep one on the far looker's left/see my report). The day I was there eight years ago was after a late-March thaw/refreeze so the trees weren't really in play; we still had a great time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Icecoastchef
In reply to this post by Z
IceCoastChef here:

Le Massif and MS Anne are the best for beginner/intermediate and also offer plenty of steeps and trees for advanced/expert. Le Massif was my favorite of the bunch—incredible views to which photos don’t do proper justice. MS Anne was a close second and is only half the distance from the city. I would recommend doing 2 days at MS Anne, 1 at Le Massif (pick the day with the sunniest weather for the views), and do a day without the wife at Massif Du Sud because the green and blue trails are few and not that great—MDSud is all about tree skiing!

Have fun!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Chef

Any restaurant recommendations ?
We are staying at Hotel Pur in QC