RIP Warren Miller

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RIP Warren Miller

Brownski
I saw this morning that skiing legend Warren Miller passed away. I've watched so many of his movies and read so much of his writing that I feel like I actually knew the guy.  It's sad to see. What a life he loved though.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/snow-sports/pioneering-inspiring-snow-sports-filmmaker-warren-a-miller-has-died-at-his-home-on-orcas-island-at-the-age-of-93/
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: RIP Warren Miller

Marcski
Sad.  A legend for sure.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Oh man I still remember my first Warren Miller film.  My cousin Robert took me to Proctors Theater in Schenectady.  I was wearing a Christmas present fire engine red CB Sports puffy coat. It was my third year skiing and first season with the True Blue Racing Crew from Willard Mountain.  Warren was still narrating live at that time.  He sat on a simple chair stage right.  His calm commanding voice conveyed a contagious passion and emboldened my budding love for sliding downhill on snow!  He ended that movie with his famous advice, “If you dont go this year you will be one year older when you do.”  Rest in peace Mr.Miller
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Ski In Peace Warren
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
I really admired the guy and how he lived his live.  I have all his books and have made a yearly event to take my family to watch the movies even though I know he is no longer associated with the company.  The guy was a true legend.  Ski in peace.

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Oh man I still remember my first Warren Miller film.  My cousin Robert took me to Proctors Theater in Schenectady.  I was wearing a Christmas present fire engine red CB Sports puffy coat. It was my third year skiing and first season with the True Blue Racing Crew from Willard Mountain.  Warren was still narrating live at that time.  He sat on a simple chair stage right.  His calm commanding voice conveyed a contagious passion and emboldened my budding love for sliding downhill on snow!  He ended that movie with his famous advice, “If you dont go this year you will be one year older when you do.”  Rest in peace Mr.Miller
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
He lived it. RIP
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
raisingarizona wrote
He lived it. RIP
exactly!  The life we all dream of, many good memories watching his films.  My mom used to rent his VHS' from the library & local video store for us to watch on Friday nights.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
ScottyJack wrote
Oh man I still remember my first Warren Miller film....
Me too: way back in the day, maybe around 1971 or so, my older brother took me to see a WM movie at Place des Arts in Montreal. I don't remember the title but Warren himself was there, standing beside the 16mm projector, narrating the film. I remember his fantastic voice and that he was very tall. The entire experience pretty much blew my 13 year old mind. At intermission, my big brother stood in line to get me an autographed postcard from Nancy Greene, Canada's ski sweetheart, which I still have.

RIP Warren, Ski on.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Right on brother!  I was probably close to or 13 as well.  

I still remember the first scene of that movie.  Giant cliff wall painted with snow shelves. Zoom in and a skier is perched on a ledge.  “Holy chit”, i think.  How did he get there and how does he get out of there.  Some pumping music and the skier leeps from shelf to shelf before hucking into a massive powder apron...

it was the first time I realized people can fly.  They just need their skis!  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Will Warren be included in the “in memorium” segment of the oscars?

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/02/oscars-in-memoriam-filmmaker-warren-miller
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
Nice find, Camp.