RIP Winter

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: RIP Winter

PeeTex
Actually Trump may be pulling us towards that but also including the cost of such externalities as low wage workers. If countries like China are allowed to compete with less restrictions on pollution and less restrictions on the social benefits and wages workers receive we should place tariffs on them to account for these externalities.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
You're not exactly using the concept of an externality correctly in your example, but I happen to agree with you re Free Trade.  Competing with low wage, high polluting countries has been a disaster for blue collar American workers.  I'm not sure what that has to do with pulling out of the Paris agreement though?  If anything it was committing countries like China and India to abide by the same long term restrictions on CO2 as ourselves.  

Placing tariffs because of labor practices is another matter where I happen to agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
TheGreatAbyss wrote
  If anything it was committing countries like China and India to abide by the same long term restrictions on CO2 as ourselves.  
Idk, I think China, per Paris, isn't doing anything until 2030. Then, in 2030, they pledge they will consider limits - that's it.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
RIP Winter my ass! It was 34 degrees in the valley this morning

where the hell is summer ---- Jason?!?!??????
I got out of dodge..It was 95 and sunny and dry in Southern Ut..
Vegas was smoken hot tho
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
D.B. Cooper wrote
.  Governments think about the next election cycle, not 20 years down the road.
Don:t you think this is a problem? If any entity should be focused 20 (30, 50, 100) years down the road, shouldn't it be government?
Sure, but they don't.  I don't see a fix to this....it's not like politicians should be elected for double-digit terms.  Agree?
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I think House Members should be bumped up to 3 year terms instead of 2 year.

I'm also not one of those people who believe in strict term limits - I think that actually incentivizes more corruption, because they only have power for a limited time and they rush to give gifts to the private sector that re-employs them after their government work is over.

I think the solution is to elect people that are talking about future growth, future development, future plans, and future environmental challenges, instead of people who warn us about fictitious crime and terror epidemics (while ignoring the very real problems of climate change) and tell us that a Muslim Ban and a Deportation Force will solve all of our Problems.

One of my major problems with today's society is that nobody seems to think ahead anymore. We put a man on the moon in like 10 years back in the 60s, and now we can't even agree on fixing potholes. Wtf?
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
Agreed with the increase in short term thinking.  However, I don't think that would have been done by 1970 if Kennedy had lived.  Probably a couple of years later, though.  They wanted to give the dead guy something of a prophecy as an F-U to Oswald.....or anyone who thought/thinks along those lines.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
There are now studies from the Danish Meteorological Society that show the Antarctic ice shelf is increasing and Physics & Mathmatics models that predict we are entering into or have already entered into a period of low solar output which will cause a mini ice age, over the next 20 years. We could be in for some great winters.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
PeeTex wrote
There are now studies from the Danish Meteorological Society that show the Antarctic ice shelf is increasing and Physics & Mathmatics models that predict we are entering into or have already entered into a period of low solar output which will cause a mini ice age, over the next 20 years. We could be in for some great winters.
Where is the source for this, you dishonest maniac? I saw a Facebook post from 4 years ago that tried to make that claim. Don't tell me you fell for that?
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Good news full speed ahead
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Politicians are never going to look long term, no incentive.  You can create incentives for the private sector to though.  Just like they did to reduce acid rain. It needs to be something the high ups can profit off of.  Clean business, employee satisfaction, benefits for the worker.  If they could be integrated into the tax system as well as CEO comp we would have a win win.  No one would care is someone is making a billion dollars per year cause in order for them to do it everyone else has to benefit as well.