RIP Winter

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RIP Winter

TheGreatAbyss
Well that's it folks.  The big orange buffoon put the final nail in the only meager effort the world could muster to at most slow the effects of climate change.  If the US and developing countries like India pull out and start spewing as much sh*t into the atmosphere as possible, our past time is coming to an end real fast.

I'll give Gore about 15 more years of viability, Whiteface upper mountain about 20.  Cats and south maybe 10?  Beyond that I'm doubtful.  We got lucky this winter with a few big storms, but at Gore almost all of them were at around 30 degrees.  A couple of degree warmer and it would have been 15-16 all over again.

As he would say:  "sad"
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: RIP Winter

Marcski
Come on, we're in good company now: Syria, Nicaragua and the USA.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by TheGreatAbyss
It's hard to see how this is really OFF TOPIC in a winter sports forum, but it's also hard for me to imagine this thread, staying a-political. So I'm moving it.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by TheGreatAbyss
I'm extremely disappointed in our president. I believe him to be incredibly selfish, but even in that context I don't get it.

I'm hoping for a silver lining, that this move will galvanize action.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
While I disagree with the decision, I do think that this and the Kyoto Protocol are overrated.  Kyoto targets were never going to be met.  Governments think about the next election cycle, not 20 years down the road.

As I've previously mentioned, "saving" the environment should be sold as a business decision and a paradigm shift for the economy, not for the sake of saving <fill-in-the-blank-species>.

BTW, Canada sent about 300 delegates to the Paris meetings.  How much carbon did that create?
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
RIP Winter my ass! It was 34 degrees in the valley this morning

where the hell is summer ---- Jason?!?!??????
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by D.B. Cooper
D.B. Cooper wrote
.  Governments think about the next election cycle, not 20 years down the road.
Don:t you think this is a problem? If any entity should be focused 20 (30, 50, 100) years down the road, shouldn't it be government?

Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Maybe situational circumstances and the market will dictate the direction we go with clean energy regardless of our involvement in the Paris agreement?

Or should we just be reactionary and cry about the sky is falling first?

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/paris-agreement-or-not-solar-employment-looking-brighter-than-coal-2017-06-02
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think you are right.  It's symbolic to some extent but also real.  Others are stepping up.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
According to Al "Internet" Gore it was al supposed to be over by 2006, were still high & dry.
Just like the liberals threw out the constitution and weaponized the intelligence agencies against us, they have politicized science into pseudo science. They have zero credibility on these issues.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
This post was updated on .
R.I.P. Winter my ass. Another Trump promise made, promise kept. Edit: TRIGGER WARNING! THIS IS MY 666TH POST HUHUHAHAHA!

Trump's evil plan is to melt all the snowflakes! Don't worry though...plenty of "I.C.E." to go around. Huhuhahaha!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Amazing that a bunch of people who were fear-mongering maniacs about Obama taking their guns and controlling the IRS and doing Benghazi are now telling us that talking about Climate Change is fear mongering.

Also, why do Conservatives always attach some stupid name to liberals? Why is it Al "Internet" Gore (a complete lie, btw) and Elizabeth "Pocahontas" Warren? Should I start calling him Donald "Covfefe" Trump or Jared "Dad bought him into Harvard" Kushner or Steve "Black Crime" Bannon or Kellyanne "Constant Liar" Conway or Jeff "Liked the KKK until he found out they smoked weed" Sessions?

Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
the liberals threw out the constitution and weaponized the intelligence agencies against us
Who is "us" in this sentence? You and Trump? Are you actually Steve Bannon, PeeTex?
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Amazing, the article you posted (even with the miss spelled words) clearly quoted Gore as saying he created the Internet.
  I took the initiative in creating the Internet.

You just can't spin that quote away. The guy has no credibility.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
mattchuck2 wrote
PeeTex wrote
the liberals threw out the constitution and weaponized the intelligence agencies against us
Who is "us" in this sentence? You and Trump? Are you actually Steve Bannon, PeeTex?
No, but I am beginning to think you are Hillary Cinton
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by PeeTex
Read on:

To claim that Gore was seriously trying to take credit for the “invention” of the Internet is, frankly, just silly political posturing that arose out of a close presidential campaign. If, for example, President Eisenhower had said in the mid-1960s that he, while president, “took the initiative in creating the Interstate Highway System,” he would not have been the subject of dozens and dozens of editorials lampooning him for claiming he “invented” the concept of highways or implying that he personally went out and dug ditches across the country to help build the roadway. Everyone would have understood that Eisenhower meant he was a driving force behind the legislation that created the highway system, and this was the very same concept Al Gore was expressing about himself with interview remarks about the Internet.

How justified Gore’s statement that he “took the initiative in creating the Internet” might be can be a subject of debate, as statements about the “creation” or “beginning” of the Internet are difficult to evaluate because the Internet is not a homogeneous entity (it’s a collection of computers, networks, protocols, standards, and application programs), nor did it all spring into being at once (the components that comprise the Internet were developed in various places at different times and are continually being modified, improved, and expanded).

But a spirited defense of Gore’s statement penned by Internet pioneers Robert Kahn and Vinton Cerf (the latter often referred to as the “father of the Internet”) in 2000 noted that “Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development” and that “No other elected official, to our knowledge, has made a greater contribution [to the Internet] over a longer period of time”:

Al Gore was the first political leader to recognize the importance of the Internet and to promote and support its development.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
You quote the opinion of the author of the article, I quote the source. I'll take the source over some leftist opinion trying to justify what was actually said by the source.
Reply | Threaded
|

TheGreatAbyss
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
In response to raisingarizona:

Market forces are greatly improving the lot for renewable energies as the cost is coming down, and that is heartening.  However the problem with solely relying on existing markets is that it doesn't price in outside costs.  Nobody is charging a coal plant for the CO2 it is emitting into the atmosphere, or the stream it is polluting with toxic waste and the resulting health effects of downstream populations.  In economic speak this is called the cost of negative externalities.

So if you want to have a market solution then you need those evil "government regulators" to construct a true market where all costs are accounted for.  Paris and Obama were pulling us in that direction, with Trump the effort will be slowed / stalled.