classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Racing fans

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
Any racing fans here?? I live near our local dirt track and go there a few times each summer. It's great tailgating with friends and the people watching is priceless.

That said I'm not a true race fan. I do go to NASCAR parties that my friends have but not because of the race, more to chill with friends. It's always a blast. However, I did go to my first professional race over the weekend. My buddy and I went to Watkins Glen for the Indy Race on Sunday. All I can say is WOW!!! If you like speed, power, and handling this is the race. Those Indy cars  on that road race track were simply amazing. These cars go 0 to 100 in less than 3 seconds. They were going 240 + MPH on the straight ways. Were were camped on the chicane were they would roll threw there at 180 MPH while passing. Words don't do it justice. I'll say this, and that is, I'll be back there next year for the Indycar Race.
Rumor has it that Formula One cars will be back there as well

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Racing fans

tjf1967
I went to a couple Nascar races out there.  Last year we were inside the track right behind pit row.  A big media van had a spot right next to us so we would see a drivers stop by for interviews.  Most were pretty decent guys, the retired ones were not apposed to drinking a beer sit drink a beer.  They had quite a spread set up for them and we would jump in on it when it was quiet and hang out with the crew.  
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Nice. A few of my friends camp there for the entire week of the Bud at the Glen.

I think those NASCAR drivers as close to "real" people as you can get. The Indycar guys seemed a bit full of themselves, but not too bad. They were still cool and would talk to you but I don't think they would like to just hang with the regular peeps.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
I can't call myself a race fan, but I did go to the Glen once.  Right after junior year my best friend convinced me to go down with him to camp and hang out in the corners to check out the racing.

Lots of different races and classes and a few studs like Peter Gregg and Danny Ongais.  (Sadly both guys were involved in crashes in the next year and Gregg passed.)

I remember in the feature race Peter Gregg was leading and somehow in the pits his door got wailed off by another car entering pit row. They reattached it with chicken wire or some such thing and when he was back out on the track he got into something again and he lost his door.  He did several laps without a door.  We were right next to one of the big corners and you could see into his car as he went past.  I'll never forget how furiously he was working his arms to steer.

We basically hung out all day drinking some jack and moving from corner to corner watching the four wheel drifts. I also remember that in one race class it was all Bimmers vs Porsches and the Porsches would blow past in the straights, but the Bimmers would catch up in the corners with superior handling and breaks.  Also the 911s would go off the track backwards when they crashed or lost traction.

So. Much. Fun.

Thanks for the memories!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
I have been to a few races at Watkins Glen and it is a blast. There are so many great spots to watch a race. The added benefit to visiting for a race is being able to stop at some of the amazing wineries in the Finger Lakes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Way back when, I saw ~ 3 US Grands prix at Watkins Glen, and a Can Am race.  One year, my dad BS'ed our way into the pits and I got to speak with my hero, 3 time World Champion Jackie Stewart.  Awesome venue.  

It would be awesome if Formula 1 returned there.