classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rain Sucks

Benny Profane
…..In the middle of January.

And then, to top it off, I have a good friend living out in Colorado, and he's texting me pix and reports from Steamboat, which is in the midst of a two day storm on top of a lovely base. sheesh.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rain Sucks

JasonWx
Benny Profane wrote

And then, to top it off, I have a good friend living out in Colorado, and he's texting me pix and reports from Steamboat, which is in the midst of a two day storm on top of a lovely base. sheesh.
We have no one to blame but ourselves, we choose to live here...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
JasonWx wrote
Benny Profane wrote

We have no one to blame but ourselves, we choose to live here...

Nah, it's where my job is. If only I could find something in my field in Denver. Or even Burlington.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
Burlington? It's raining there too! Go spend some of your 138k and jet set to da boat!!!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
The Weather Network has invented a word for this event: wintermission.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
JP
Reply | Threaded
|

JP
Rain in the Winter in the North East isn't as rare as we'd like to think, that's why God invented snowmaking
JIMMYPETE
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm here to post in this important thread as is destined to become a classic.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Wintermission =
Polar Vortex =
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
the polar vortex is our enemy..it puts us too deep into the cold air and blocks all the storms. And when it slips off the coast,   we get into a southwest flow..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
JasonWx wrote
the polar vortex is our enemy..it puts us too deep into the cold air and blocks all the storms. And when it slips off the coast,   we get into a southwest flow..
I dunno about that. Was the so called polar vortex in place last weekend? Cause Friday-Sunday were incredible...

Fact is we do have a really bad rain/thaw/warm up every season. But this year is particularly brutal for the more northern areas that have missed out on many storms that went south. And it is following up on the Christmas thaw as well without major base building. Thankfully we enjoyed a really long stretch of cold weather to lay down man made.

But natural snow skiing is taking a bigger than usual hit right now. Mansfield stake is under two feet and more than a foot below average not counting any melting and compacting that happened today. The majority of northern New England areas are less than 50% open today. MRG has only operated the Practice Slope at best for three weeks now. With the thaw behind us, we'll need an immediate influx of cold and snow to get things back on track. Otherwise we are hurting.

All that said, my current 2013-2014 season is already better than either of the past two seasons is their entirety.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Hey Jason I skied fresh powder each day Jan 1-3  amid the Polar Vortex.  Snowing like hell at -5 degrees F works for me because the slopes were empty.  And if it is not snowing the weather is ideal for snowmaking...I'll take that over any January Thaw or Wintermission or just plain Rain.  But alas we live in the northeast and will ski anything.  I was out skiing yesterday...When are you coming back to Gore?  We never really got to take you into the trees
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Jan 3, 4 and 5 of this year were probably the best 3 consecutive days of skiing ever for me.

Maybe tied with the three days I skied at Jay with River et al in 2011.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by riverc0il
the snow  fell before the deep cold air..we need seasonable cold air..A block in Greenland and nice high sitting over quebec..
look what happens after a arctic air intrusion.. a massive warm up..  we are in a yo-yo pattern..

still it's only mid January..the interesting part of the winter is just about to start..

my wife is taking my daughter to FLA in Feb..I will make my return to Gore then..

"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
This weather has me so bummed out.  I'd take the polar vortex over this crap any day.

I feel like that quote that I think Scotty uses where the old man screams at the clouds.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
Ugly radar today with rain all the way up to Maine. It has been raining all day with temps around 45 here in North Jersey. Yuk.

The NFL must be praying that this doesn't happen at the Super Bowl. Cold rain just blows.

Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
This post was updated on .
this is just bad
yesterday Hunter was excellent..

There will be egg all over the NFL's face if it is 38 and raining on Superbowl Sunday..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Well, really, if they wanted good weather, New Jersey on 2/2 was a real bad bet.
funny like a clown
JP
Reply | Threaded
|

JP
I'm praying for snow on 2/2 not to screw up the SuperBowl, I could care less either way but I always pray for Snow, specially in the CATS
JIMMYPETE