Rain-X on Goggles

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rain-X on Goggles

Spongeworthy
Rain and fog made skiing at Gore a real challenge today. I wonder whether applying Rain-X to my goggles would have made a difference. Has anyone here ever tried it? Will it ruin the outer coating of the lens?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rain-X on Goggles

Danzilla
I wouldn't do it. Rain-x has an oily residue in my opinion. I used to have a little plastic tin of "cat crap" that is made for exactly this. I haven't seen it lately at any shops but that may be because I haven't been looking for it. It works pretty well on both sides of the lens. Its in a little red container kinda looks like lip balm.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
I wouldn't use Rain-X on goggles.

Got some Z-Clear after talking to someone from the small company at the Boston Ski Expo last fall.  Have been using the wax version on my glasses and like it.  Haven't tried on goggles yet because I don't have issues with fogging on goggles.

http://z-clear.com

No affiliation with Z-Clear except as a satisfied customer.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by Danzilla
My goggles weren't fogging. The problem was water droplets loading up on the outer lens until I was skiing blind, and I thought Rain-X might make it run right off like it does on a treated windshield. Since it is petroleum based, it's probably not a good idea.

I have Cat Crap somewhere. I must have bought it over 25 years ago.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Freezing fog today at WF - was a bitch to see up on the summit.  Need a built in defroster system like Audi's have.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time