Rate the Catskills Ski Venues

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rate the Catskills Ski Venues

Peter Minde
After reading the eloquent comments on the 1200 acre thread, I thought a poll would be in order.  What's your favorite mountain to ski in the Catskills?  Feel free to comment on why.  If you're responding to someone else's comment on a particular venue, please keep it civil.

Poll Will close 11 September 2012
What's your favorite Catskills ski mountain?
This poll is closed.   
This poll ended on .
You have to vote before you can see the results.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rate the Catskills Ski Venues

Big D
This post was updated on .
I didn't vote. Hunter used to be my favorite. Because they used to actually put down DEEPER bases on some of the main trails and go into late April every year. Now Hunter closes early April when attendance drops off.

So whichever Catskill resort remains open the longest into the spring is my favorite.
(seems like in the last 8 years, Belleayre is often open longer into April)
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
They each have their place but it's hard to answer this question without context.

Is it the day after the storm midweek and I want to skin for leftovers? Is it late April and there's only one mountain that has a good base on a steep trail with still spinning lifts and a bump contest? Is it a Saturday of a Holiday weekend? Is it October during a freak storm and one opened? Is it just a nice day to sit on a deck and get an awesome grilled sandwich? I could vote for a different one depending on various scenarios, but the answer to each of my questions is clearly PLATTEKILL!!!!!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
I chose Hunter - to ski and live - because I enjoy the more difficult terrain.  While it doesn't stay open until May any more the trails are consistently covered and even on a crowded Holiday weekend day I can still find good snow.  

And I like that it's family owned and I love the ski community and the town.

I also like it's proximity to NYC because I need to work down there every once and while..
Reply | Threaded
|

Gunny J
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Early, Late season Hunter,  Natural snow, long cold spurt,  need adventure Platte. Taking Novices and or Snowboarders along Belle, Need to feed on smooth velvet and just chill midweek Windy   If I could only go one place I would have to pick Plattekill
Want to spend special time with your children, teach them to ski or snowboard. The reward will be endless!
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
I voted for Hunter because of my friends HPD and DMC.  I've never skied in the Catskills though.  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
New York is for Underdogs
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
Bobcat, Highmount and reaching way back...Mt. Cathalia...anyone remember Big Vanilla?
I voted for Plattekill

Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
In reply to this post by ScottyJack
Hunter's not as cool and groovy as the other joints so we make it cool ourselves.... :)

Come ski!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Zelda
I haven't skied the Catskills yet.  We had a weekend planned last year but the weather didn't cooperate.  Have to get there.

Sudsnbumps - what was Big Vanilla?
"Go ahead and jump!" - Van Halen
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
No love for Cortina Valley?
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
ml242 wrote
No love for Cortina Valley?
Was hiking over there a couple weeks ago... very sad...
Reply | Threaded
|

heartsnow
In reply to this post by ml242
I used to ride Cortina Valley in the early 90's, despite my parents having a house that overlooked Windham Mountain. I remember having a season pass that cost $99.00; which my parents ultimately took away from me because of poor grades (a result of spending too much time on the mountain and not enough time hitting the books). Many great memories <3
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
Bobcat for the private country-club aspect.
Plattekill for the consistent pitch, cool owners, and non-existent lift lines.
Belleayre for the unskied trees.
Hunter for the west side and early season coverage.
Windham in the spring for high-speed laps.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
Platty!  For many reasons:   Consistent pitch, non-existent crowds, trail conditions, skiing in the woods and on the mountain biking trails and overall vibe.  It's like a private club without membership dues.  Same great people around all season.  Plus, it's the way skiing used to be when I was a kid. :).  
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
Marcski wrote
Platty!  For many reasons:   Consistent pitch, non-existent crowds, trail conditions, skiing in the woods and on the mountain biking trails and overall vibe.  It's like a private club without membership dues.  Same great people around all season.  Plus, it's the way skiing used to be when I was a kid. :).
Couldn't agree more, and I was skiing it last year for $18.75 a pop, paid for the outrageously priced gas to get there and back. I'm just sorry I waited so long to give them a try. Even the $250 failure to obey a traffic device ticket I got in Roxbury two years ago wasn't enough to sour me on the place. It is truly what skiing should be, a real "skier's mountain".
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by heartsnow
heartsnow wrote
I used to ride Cortina Valley in the early 90's, despite my parents having a house that overlooked Windham Mountain. I remember having a season pass that cost $99.00; which my parents ultimately took away from me because of poor grades (a result of spending too much time on the mountain and not enough time hitting the books). Many great memories <3
Great first post IMO.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I agree. Do you have any pics? I don't think I've ever seen any that weren't on the old trail map. I never got a chance to ski there, and now I feel stupid for being driven by after it got shuttered.
Reply | Threaded
|

heartsnow
In reply to this post by Harvey