classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rehabing the Whiteface Veterans Memorial Highway

Harvey
Administrator
GOVERNOR CUOMO ANNOUNCES CONTRACT AWARD FOR WHITEFACE MOUNTAIN VETERANS' MEMORIAL HIGHWAY PROJECT

ALBANY, N.Y. --- Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced the awarding of a contract to reconstruct and rehabilitate Whiteface Mountain Veterans' Memorial Highway in the Town of Wilmington, Essex County. Rifenburg Construction Inc., of Albany submitted the winning Best Value proposal, which determines the winning bid by weighing cost against additional factors that include ability to accelerate the project schedule and past State experience with the company. Rifenburg Construction's bid had the lowest proposed cost at just less than $11.2 million. State funding is coming from NY Works, Governor Cuomo's signature infrastructure program that has been rebuilding roads, bridges, and parks across the state.

“The Whiteface Mountain Veterans’ Memorial Highway is a vital asset for the North Country and New York, drawing visitors from around the globe to enjoy unparalleled views from the High Peaks,” Governor Cuomo said. “But for too long Albany ignored the fact that this highway had fallen into disrepair. By awarding this contract just six months after our administration committed to funding the necessary repairs, we are moving quickly to restore one of New York’s most scenic roadways and helping to draw more tourists to experience the best of the Adirondacks.”

The highway improvement project will involve the full, eight-mile length of Whiteface Mountain Veterans Memorial Highway, also known as NY State Route 431, from Route 86 to the top of the mountain. Construction activity will begin immediately, with the establishment of a field office and the ordering of materials. The actual field work is expected to begin later this spring, depending on the weather. Work is expected to continue through 2014 and into 2015, however, the Best Value proposal submitted by Rifenburg calls for completing the project up to six months before the required December 2015 end date.

Opened in 1935, the highway attracts more than 28,000 vehicles per year, as well as numerous cyclists and hikers. The highway itself is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The project will involve reconstruction and rehabilitation of the driving surface to make for a smoother ride. Culverts will be repaired or replaced to improve drainage. The project will also involve the restoration of many of the highway's historic elements put into place under the road's original design, such as restoring the 10-foot wide travel lanes, and 2-foot paved shoulders, as well as fixing rock walls and re-setting the quarry stone barrier stones along the road. Work will also include improving the septic system that services the castle at the summit, and replacing the water line that supplies water to that building.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rehabing the Whiteface Veterans Memorial Highway

Z
I'm wondering if this project has the same restrictions about the bricknells wood thrush as Whiteface does with lift and trail construction above 3000 feet? What say you SJ?

Who writes a contract that allow completion by end of December for a road that high.  Of course they will finish early or really really late.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
This is a much needed project.    

Coach you do like to poke and prod don't you?        Of course the bird is not affected on that side of the mountain.    I'll eat my words if the contract does require limitations similar to the one's imposed on your side of the fence.      

11.2 M seems alot for an existing road, however I am no expert.     If this is anything like Boston, the project will take 4 yrs and come in at 44.8M.      
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
I:)skiing wrote

Coach you do like to poke and prod don't you?      

No, but I do

It's only a stupid bird ..... who the heck cares
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Glad to see this. If you ever biked up it, coming down is a roller coaster.

Coach, I thought NYS was not allowed by tradition to make any improvements until WF gets a new lift
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
PeeTex wrote
Glad to see this. If you ever biked up it, coming down is a roller coaster.

Coach, I thought NYS was not allowed by tradition to make any improvements until WF gets a new lift
PeeTex, I don't know about riding down.  But roller skiing up the toll road is miserable in its current state.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Hehehe. I like this Peetex guy..... a very accurate thinker is he.