classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
30 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Resorts Commitment to Spring?

Harvey
Administrator
We may have to agree to disagree on this one.

On what date this season did Mad get the Single and Double open?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by wedeler
wedeler wrote
As a charter member of the "candy bars were a nickle" crowd, I tell you ski areas are not as committed to spring skiing as they once were.  MRG is closing this weekend and the mountain is nearly 100% open.  A few years back they closed and the mountain was 100% open.  Mt. Ellen, which holds it's snow late, is already closed.  Yes, I know, It's about skier traffic and revenue, but it seems when candy bars were a nickle this would never happen.
Candy bars aren't a nickle and gas is not $0.25/gal. and we can no longer put a man on the moon. But we now have video games and Obama care - we sure have made a lot of progress.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Skidds
Skidds wrote
yeah MC, take a long jump turn off a short pier
Only after all the mountains are closed an all the snow is gone from Mt. Washington.
Reply | Threaded
|

wedeler
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Harvey
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
In reply to this post by MC2 5678F589
Even our little hill Holiday Valley is staying open through this weekend.  We are wearing SHORTS over here in WNY adn putting in sailboats.  
If THEY can stay open till this weekend, I can't understand how the big bad mountains of the north are closing at the same time?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gorefarmhouse
And Holiday Valley opened the weekend after Thanksgiving with their state-of-the-art snowmaking equipment.  
Do we have more hardcore skiers out here than in the flatlands than the ADK and VT?!?
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
wedeler wrote
Pretty sure December 14-15 was opening weekend at MRG.  We skied it during the following week and it was GREAT.
No moguls just fresh, fluffy snow.  Then the rain came.
Forgot they got it open early. There was a significant period when the main lifts were closed and there was a layoff.  I don't think that happens all that often.

Holiday Valley may benefit from less competition?  Be curious to know how attendance is this weekend.

In the end most mountain only make money on weekends and holidays before Presidents.  So the question remains... how much loss can you afford after 3/1 based on your performance during the high season.

What kind of year did Holiday Valley have? My sense is that HV is a very successful mountain, possibly first or second in skier visits in NY.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
You can still ski MRG, you just have to earn your turns
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

wedeler
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
FWIW, I am seeing less commitment to skiing on the part of skiers this year, and I feel like the mountains are responding in kind. The last few years I never had so much trouble getting people to ski past March 1. I really don't know what it is.

Mad won't spin lifts because they run the coop like an actual business should and they're extremely transparent about the business. My guess is that if the season was stellar with packed holidays, they'd go another week.

One thing that sucks is that last weekend had a grey saturday. No one likes grey spring days, and I'm sure every mountain would prefer to have a sunny saturday then a sunny sunday. It makes a big difference to how people plan.

That's my rant.