classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rock Climber Dies in Gunks

Harvey
Administrator
An avid rock climber fell to his death at the Mohonk Preserve in upstate New York Wednesday, state police said.

Andrew Barnes, 46, was free climbing in the park in Gardiner when he fell about 50 feet at 8:20 p.m., Major Patrick Regan said.

The Niskayuna man died at the scene. He had more than 10 years of climbing experience.

Multiple agencies are investigating the cause of death.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/avid-rock-climber-falls-death-upstate-new-york-article-1.2254903
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rock Climber Dies in Gunks

warp daddy
TRAGIC.  Rip

On another matter Harv , is there something messed up with the site ?? I have had to log in EACH of the last 5 times i have posted ????????
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
This is so sad. My condolences to his friends and family.

It seems as though free climbing is extremely dangerous.  There is 0 margin for error.  I suppose that is the attraction?  
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
Sad for the family, RIP.  rock climbing is one sport I tried many yrs ago out west, fun but a little too unforgiving, margin of error is nil. I know you can get hurt/killed in many different sports but at least skiing you can take some pretty good falls and basically ski away, not so much w rock climbing.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
With top roping and even sport climbing there isn't really a lot of risk. I think it's a lot safer than skiing or mountain biking at a high level. But free soloing? Ya, probably not a great idea. I'm surprised this guy was free soloing at the age of 46 with only 10 years of experience. For most of us the late 30's into 40 something is when we decide to start slowing down. This guy must have had some unique wiring. I'm sure he understood the risk and loved doing what he was doing, either way, fly the sky and R.I.P.
Reply | Threaded
|

xWeatherMan
In reply to this post by Harvey
Andrew worked for the same company I work for in another department. I did know him well but he seemed like a really nice guy. We were really sad at work to hear about his death.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
I have never really rocked climbed though have ice climbed always harnessed.  Sad news indeed.

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
i was surprised to see he was free climbing. i always assumed that was for the pros out west
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
sig wrote
i was surprised to see he was free climbing. i always assumed that was for the pros out west
Harv, you really need some special fonts - <sarcasm>, <tongue-in-cheek> etc...

Sig:  best to err on the side of caution when posting on topics of this nature.  People will always interpret the wrong way and then respond with a hissy fit.. Just sayin'
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Speaking of the Gunks, this is totally off topic, but, I had the pleasure of watching the sky divers at the Ranch in Gardiner go up and down on a recent Saturday while on a bike ride. If you're in the area with nothing to do, it's a cool way to blow a half hour or so. Great and close view from the road. Tons of people floating out of the sky.

RIP rock climber dude, btw.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
The accident occurred on pitch 1 of CCK.  

I did not know Andrew, but from what I've read he was a very accomplished and well respected climber.

Yes, obviously free solo climbing (climbing without a rope or protection) leaves no margin for error, however it can be perfectly reasonable for an experienced climber to solo a route well within his or her limits.  A climber does not have to be Alex Honnold to safely free solo a route.  Climbing without a rope or protection allows a climber to move quickly and focus on the rock and the climbing moves, rather than on the rope, protection and anchors.  Two summers ago my wife and I solo'd up a 14-pitch climb in Yosemite. Though the climbing was "easy" (the pitches varied between 5.0 and 5.5), it was a fantastic, thrilling experience that we never could have completed in a day if we were hauling ropes, placing pro and setting anchors (there was a significant approach and descent as well).  I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

RIP Andrew.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
It's too bad that another life was lost. Risk taking like that will eventually catch up with you.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
I understand that perspective PeeTex ^^.  No need to take up a debate over the risks in life that each of us chooses to assume.