classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Roll Call

MikeK
Banned User
My name is Mike, yes that's my real name, and I'm a bleeding heart liberal engineer.  I joined this forum last year, found it disappointing in some ways, took a break, and now I'm back to give it another shot.

I'm not much into Alpine skiing anymore.  I skied in my teens, got bored, then came back to it after college, and got bored again, so I started getting back to the roots:  skiing in the woods away from lifts.  I mostly tour but I'm trying to work up my skills with the free heel.  It's a slow process.  I also got my wife into skiing too - she hated alpine but tolerates xc and is getting more interested in tele.

I've recently got back into mountain biking and it's been the most fun I've had in years.  I still love skiing, but I was at one time a bike nut and kind of drifted away from it, especially when riding offroad starting getting more illegal.  Now it's exploded again and I can barely control myself.  I've been riding everything I can find and visiting some of the stuff I used to ride before I conked out.  I've also got my wife into it, but she's less ecstatic about it than I am.  She'll ride some single track but she still does a fair deal of walking - I'm confident she'll get there, just like she did with skiing, but it takes time and patience.

Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by 2000yearoldskier
Welcome 2000. Thanks for your support of the blog all these years, and your effort to reach out to me this past week. Really appreciated.

Odds of me getting out west this year are slim, but if you come to NY, let's ski for sure.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
My name is Chris, and I'm a NYSkiBlog....er!

I used to go by Skidds.  No, not a woman with big.....No, not a dentist, either.

A while back, not long after briefly debating with MC2 the need for a jump turn at a particular spot in Cleavage, a slightly larger debate ensued about weather or not jump turns should be part of the modern skill set.  Not long after defending the venerable jump turn I took on the JTG (Jump Turn Guy) moniker!

Took up skiing in middle school with fledgling side steps up the base of Bromley, followed by lots of Vermont throughout HS in NYS, in which I was a crappy racer but everyday skier.  Skiing has been a part of my family ever since.  

For a long time now we have been primarily Whiteface skiers, LP being a perfect draw for the family all the way around, my wife being much less of an avid skier than I am.  When I can squeeze out day trips it's usually to the Catskills (mainly Plattekill lately), which are closest to our Dutchess Co. home, but Gore has attracted me for the day when the glades are all in play, and day trips to the Slides have happened a few times.

While it sucks in some ways getting older, time and resources have gotten better as I've pushed (now a few years) past 40.  Age makes you, well.....me at least, prioritize better and focus on doing what you love while you can.  As such I've played more soccer and done more skiing in my 40s than I did at any other time in my life after HS.  Season passes at WF two seasons running and a first trip to Tuckerman's this past spring (after almost 30 years of just talking about it) have me enjoying  the outdoors more than ever before.  While I've never been averse to hiking for turns, having  purchased my first set of AT gear last spring I look forward to earning more turns away from the lifts.

It's been fun running across NYSkiBloggers.....and I hope to meet more.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jon951
In reply to this post by MikeK

Hi, I'm Jon from NJ. Been skiing WF for 41 seasons, and looking forward to keeping the streak going. Also hit Gore and Belleayre whenever I can, so seems like the SKI3 pass fits me well! Been trying to maintain conditioning routine for this season, since catching crap from my older son last season for coasting through a day of extreme opportunity in the slides. Decided to not push my luck, stayed out, and left the mountain under my own power. Went inside and drank a beer,had a great day and left happy. Planning to bust out Thanksgiving weekend if conditions at WF permit. Attended the1980 Winter Olympics, one of the most memorable events in my life. Have a lifetime friend living in Park City for many years, and have had the fortune to get out there often. Photo taken in parking lot at Alta, the morning those skis were christened.
"Feets fail me not"
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Cool - these last few posts are getting me stoke for another season!
Thanks!!!
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Stumbled across this just now. Pretty entertaining ... I feel like I wandered into a skiers anonymous meeting
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by JTG4eva!
JTG4eva! wrote
A while back, not long after briefly debating with MC2 the need for a jump turn at a particular spot in Cleavage, a slightly larger debate ensued about weather or not jump turns should be part of the modern skill set.  Not long after defending the venerable jump turn I took on the JTG (Jump Turn Guy) moniker!
Jump turn guy! That explains it!
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
My name is not D.B. (shocker).  I grew up skiing at Jay; had my first pass when I was 5.  I raced when I was a kid, taught there for 3 years while in college and was certified L2.  I was half way through college (applied science) when I realized I didn't like the subject matter enough to be an architect.  I'm sure it didn't help that I got 75 days in my last year of school.  After that I taught skiing in Banff for 4 years.

I moved back east, went back to school and hit the internet boom.  Life got in the way for a while, only being able to ski a day or five a year.  A life shake-up later, in the last 5 years I can count the number of ski days (weekends/holidays) I've missed on two hands.

I skied with Harv when he was hitting the Slides a few years back and got on the blog shortly thereafter.  I know some of the guys here quite well, others only by what they write.

I still have almost every pass I've ever been issued.  I'm exceptionally thankful to my parents - both former patrollers - for introducing me to this ass-kicking sport.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Nice DB
I have a little stack of old lift tickets I've been accumulating in case one of my kids wanted to make a collage for school or something. I've probably got my old season and employee passes in a drawer some place too (except Alpine, who took it back)