Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Roll Call

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
{TESTING ONE TWO THREE... SCREACH... is this mike on...}

One of the current limitations of the Forum is the lack of a customized profile.  You get an avatar and a signature, but there no place for you to personalize your profile. Yet. Use this thread for anything you'd like to say about yourself, as it relates to skiing, the mountains, the outdoors,etc.  You can edit your posts so don't be shy - make your profile a work in progress.

I'm Harv. This picture, taken by Jamesdeluxe, was an early season day at Hunter. But I'm a Gore skier.

Right now I get 35 days in a good year, but I'm a 100-day wannabe.

25 days are likely to be at Gore Mountain. Other days come at Whiteface, Belleayre, Plattekill. Maybe some VT.

Really want to hit Hickory and Big Tupper.

Love to tele in the trees. And recently, bumps.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Roll Call

Adk Jeff
I'm Jeff, and I ski almost exclusively at Gore.  At least that's how it worked out last winter.

Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
I like Gore, but the slides on Whiteface ROCK!!!

I ski wherever it makes sense.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
I ski a third of my 28-ish days per year in the Catskills.  I'll go wherever the crowds ain't.

Belleayre: Late March 2008
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q

I mostly ski Gore with some Whiteface/Plattekill/Hunter/Bellayre mixed in. Harv took this shot of me on Lies in March.
Reply | Threaded
|

P.MAC
In reply to this post by Harvey
I'm PMac and like Harv, I get in about 30 days a year but I'm a 100 day wannabe. 75% of my days are at Gore, a couple a year at Whiteface and about 6 at Camelback in PA cuz it's only an hour from my home. Try to hit somewhere in Colorado or Canada every year or two. Pic below is from Whistler, BC in April 06. I'm a cruiser and early morning corduroy on Twister is as good as it gets for me.

PMac at Whistler

Reply | Threaded
|

Zelda
Hi. I'm Zelda. These days we ski almost exclusively at Gore.

I'm an advanced beginner who is starting to crunch through some expert terrain. Recently I found myself liking bumps too.

I like challenging myself and learning new things...

Lies • March 6, 2010
"Go ahead and jump!" - Van Halen
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I'm Matt, Geologist and part time Ski Instructor (Alpine and Tele).

I average about 60 days a year, but I wish it was more.  I'm up at Gore every powder day, but I this past year I took NY trips to Whiteface, West, Hunter, Royal, and Willard.  I did some VT and ME mountains too.  Every year I plan a trip out west, and every year I don't have enough money.  This might be due to a slight gear obsession.

My new thing this summer is Mountain Biking.  I've been cruising around NY and VT finding new places to ride.  I'm finding that it's similar to skiing in a lot of ways (line selection, coordination of body parts, anticipation, balance), and I think I'm in the best shape I've been in for years.  

Every winter, I do my best to make it the best ski season ever.  Let's hope this one is.
Reply | Threaded
|

GoofyRider
I'm Josh.  This is me off the Chatiemac ridge somewhere.  First year pass holder at Gore/WF this past season and trying to save up for pass #2!

I got out around 20 times this year to Gore, WF, and 2 weekend trips to Jay.  Looking forward to all the new stuff at Gore this year.

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Greetings from the Great White North. I am Sick Bird Rider, though now I am riding Prophet 100s more than the Sick Birds. Note to self and others: don't base your Internet handle on something that will change. Oh well. I post on TGR as Mr. Multiglisse, which describes me a bit better. I ski alpine, telemark, cross-country and snowboarded exclusively for three seasons. And I love snowshoeing. After I tore my ACL (on alpine skis) I gave up snowboarding but now that I got it fixed (see avatar) I may get back into it. I have been telemarking since the leather lace-up and Peruvian hat days.

I don't count the days I ski because that would just make me depressed. Fortunately, I live in a very snowy area with many small hills, so we do a lot of "schwacking" in the local backcountry. I am also lucky that our small local ski area is a 15 minute drive from my house. For lift riding, I try to get to Jay Peak as often as possible, though it is a seven hour drive. I have been skiing at Jay with my family since I was 11 years old. I am older now and still love that mountain. Though some days we are not so sure. See the Real Jay Peak Snow Report for details.

I don't have any action pictures of me skiing but here is a shot of a typical day at Jay Peak. Don't let the hype fool you.

Here is a shot me modeling the latest in snow camo. The moral of the story is to not wear black fleece if you are going to do a powder headplant. Taken at our favourite local BC stash, "The Pipeline."

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Denis.N
I'm Denis from NJ, originally from Russia. I ski about 30 days a year. Used to be a "Facer", now mostly Gore skier, rent a house for a season.

Picture below is from recent trip to Iceland - they groom glacier's crevasses, so it's possible to cross country ski and ride snowmobile.

Reply | Threaded
|

adkmike
Hi, I'm adkmike from the Adirondacks.....I started skiing in the early 60's @ the North Creek Ski Bowl and @ Harvey Mt. Now I ski mainly @ Gore and Whiteface with some excursion into the backcountry with AT equipment. I have been reading the Harvey Road Blog for about a year and have been impressed with the interviews with the management of both Gore and Whiteface.... very informative. I'm going to try to attach a video of Slide # 4 I shot at Whiteface last spring...... hope it works...

Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
My name's Ted. I was briefly a snowboarder before turning skier. I was one of the kids who learned to hit jumps first then learned to turn a few seasons later. I skied Gore for 8 years before moving to Alta for the winters. I've destroyed my knees enough already and have somehow avoided any major injuries, so I've been moving towards BC skiing and kinda keeping my feet on the ground. So far, I still have gotten a few turns on the East every season. We'll see if I can keep that streak going. I still have quite a place in my heart for the Adirondacks and come back in the summertime to guide on the Hudson. Riding mountain bikes and photography are a few other things that consume a lot of my time and money.

Utah BC

Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I try to ski at least 80 days per season.  Most of those days are at Mountain Creek with many at Hunter as well.  I mostly will cruise groomers, but sometimes ski in the terrain park, bumps, trees and I'm always out there for powder when it's available.

I like ski areas to have the latest most powerful snowmaking technology for the best conditions earliest in the season.  12/26 is the day I like to have everything open by.  The best grooming equipment is also essential for ec skiing to be great.  I also like cushy high speed lifts so I can get more runs in.  More runs=more fun.

My first trip out west will be to Steamboat with the first ski day being 12/26/15.  Can't wait for it!!
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Sno

Where are you staying at the boat?

Some sections may not be open for Xmas week.  The chutes and that hike to ridge are pretty rocky and the lift pod far lookers left Pony Express which is lower may not be ready yet.

It will be pretty crowded on the groomers and lift lines are going happen.  You can avoid the lines by riding some of the older fixed grip lifts which you won't like.  Best skiing is in the woods closets, shadows and between the o'clock runs for example between the 2 and 3 o'clock runs is 2:30 trees.  Also the trees by the Bar UE chair is a really nicely pitched pretty open gladed area.

Once you leave the base don't plan on returning until the end of the day.  The top half of the mt skis the best.  Eat lunch early or late to avoid the crowds.  Never been there Xmas week but have been there mlk and spring break weeks.  4 weeks total so I know it well.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Coach Z wrote
Where are you staying at the boat?
We are staying at the Holiday Inn.

Coach Z wrote
Some sections may not be open for Xmas week.  The chutes and that hike to ridge are pretty rocky and the lift pod far lookers left Pony Express which is lower may not be ready yet.
Not concerned about chutes or hike to terrain.  Actually the Pony Express lift has been open during Christmas Week every season since 9-10 except 11-12.  I looked it up, but I'm not sure about before that.  We are going to be skiing between 12/26-12/31.  Not sure how many of those days we will actually ski.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Where are you flying into?  The drive from Denver is a pain in the butt.

Holiday Inn is on Lincoln Hwy between the Mt and downtown.  I've always stayed at the mt but the good eats are downtown.  

I'd assume your hotel has a shuttle up to the mt.  If it snows plan on being in Gondi line at least 30 to 45 mins before opening

If not a pow day you can also take CP 6 pack to the park area and then get over to the thunderhead to get to mid mt.  From there you have a choice.  The upper my where you spend the majority of the day has two sections.  The storm peak side or the sundown.  I usually hit Storm peak first and sundown later in the day.  There is a back side but it's kinda lame with a long run out.  The pony express section is nice but lower so even if open probably is not going to be great as its best run outlaw is sort of a glade where instead trees you ski around huge boulders.  I'm guessing that takes a long time to have enough snow to be skiable.  In the middle heading to sundown Closets and shadows are the premier tree skiing areas for me with a solid 2k vert of gladed bliss.  Skiing thru aspens is really different than eastern tree skiing since all the branches are way up high so you only are turning around the trunks.  Sunshine on the far skiers left is nice cruising but is the most crowded section of the mt especially on a holiday week.

I prefer to eat on my at the smaller 4 points hut which has a nice outside grill selling food on nice days.  Our fav for dinner is the Steamboat smokehouse.  We eat there twice in a week it's so good.  The ore house has a early bird steak dinner special that is good too.

You have to go to FM Light and sons western wear store and buy yourself something.

Send me a PM if you need to know anything.  You'll have a great time.

if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
I:)skiing

Hello,  I love skiing is me.....    I have a house at Gore, however I need to rent it for the bulk of the winter to make ends meet.    I visit Gore 4-10 days a year, hit WF one to two time as well.     I am a L3 instructor at a small mountain in PA where I mainly teach program kids(dark blue to black) weekends.   I also provide clinics to our local staff 1-2 nights a week.    My season begins Thanksgiving and ends when Kmart closes.  I have been to Superstar's closing weekend 6 of the last 8 years; driving from Baltimore 4-6 times each spring for those sweet spring bumps.     I head out west 1 time a year and do PSIA Projam yearly where I get to play with some of the country's best instructors (National Team)  Been to lots of places in Europe and Canada. Skied Mt Hood summer camps, heli skied and hut touring in the Alps.   Love T-park and bumps, but going fast down a groomer at 8am on a sunny day is the best for me.     OK--Powder is better but as a South-East skier who holds down a full time job while still getting 70-80 days/nights, I don't see much of it.    Love big air and pond skimming too.       At 52, each year gets more challenging, but having my young kids and doing summer training at Lake Placid jump camp keep me on my toes.    

I have two kids who ski.   My son placed second in NASTAR's National event this year in Aspen and is generally found on the podium.  He also loves  the T-park cleaning up his 540.  My daughter is not interested in racing, but loves jumps and bumps and puppies---which we cannot have due to all of our winter/spring travel.      

This family photo was taken 3 years back, We all won 1st in our respective age groups.        

Reply | Threaded
|

2000yearoldskier
After lurking for a couple years it took all my very limited computer skills to sign up.
I've enjoyed reading everyone's exploits and opinions.
Although I started skiing in Wisconsin, my first chairlift rides and skills were NY and NE. Did the ski bum thing
in St.Anton, VAL Desire,VT, Co. Forward thirty some years and now I'm that old guy on the first chair.

Future goals .....ski with Harvey.