This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Rollins Pond: loons, eagles and lots of stars

Brownski
Looks like a lot of fun. Don't be embarrassed by the flotilla. You can never have too many options
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Turd Ferguson
Thanks for posting the pictures, it brings back a lot of memories.  We went camping at Rollins Pond one or two times every year from when I started walking, to mid-teens.  Coincidentally, so did my wife, although we don't recall ever having crossed paths there.  Canoeing through the 'special waters' spot from Rollins Pond to Fish Creek was always the highlight.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
In reply to this post by Brownski
Very cool report and looks like a great time. I need to explore that area of the park more.  Starting to see more eagles, beginning about 3 or 4 years ago, around the Piseco area while paddling, as well as multiple places on the West Canada here in the SW corner of the park.  Even one sitting on the Hinkley Dam every so often.  3 or 4 in that area of the reservoir, in the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
Nice photo essay , we too are seeing eagles along the St Lawrence , but our new big residents are the ospreys which are now coming back to the region . Their huge nests sit on telephone poles near the River . Beautiful creature supposedly mates for life . We see them from the Clayton to Massena Stretch of river  about an 80 mile range .
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
Good Dad!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by warp daddy
I can attest that both bald eagles and Ospreys have made a big comeback in the Hudson valley too. A lot more komorants around then in the past as well
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
i rent a camp on warner lake for the summer and two eagles regularly fly by.  three years ago i had never seen one in the wild. beautiful to watch.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Where's Warner Lake siggy?
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Brownski
Brownski wrote
. A lot more komorants around then in the past as well
Whoa. Where are you seeing komorants at ? I know lake Champlain has a rather large komorant problem. They'd like to see that population reduced by approx 75%. I  believe they're considered anuisanse species there as they can clean out the fish population faster than a chinese trawler.

I spent last Tuesday on lake george volunteering for the asian clam survey. I went around checking for clams with the Fund for Lake George and garnered some info in the process.

Champlain has 50!  invasive species. 50 ! OMG !!! Lake george has 5. It's so crucial to clean your boat canoe kayak and paddles etc !!!

Consider this....... Lake Tahoe spends $1,000,000.00 per year just to treat one invasive ( asian clams ) in one bay !  That's one species  in just one spot ! It's not hard to imagine these invasives completely overwhelming/ruining an ecosystem.

We saw an eagle and another very usual bird in the air. What appeared to be a C130 flew down the lake valley at an altitude lower than the mtn tops
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
You're totally right about checking/cleaning your boat when you move it around. I spend a decent amount of time around lake Champlain and  I agree it seems like there's no end to the invasive species problems there (not to mention algae blooms). I love Lake Champlain. Harvey put up my story about a recent overnight trip to Schuyler Island on the blog if you're interested.

I was referencing the Hudson River area when I mentioned the komorants though. It's maybe worth noting that as the Eagles, komorants, Ospreys and herons have recovered I've noticed a lot fewer seagulls around. When I first moved to the area they were everywhere.  I'm hoping the Eagles chase out some of the Canada Geese next. They're a giant pain n the butt to have around.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Yea post the Schuyler Island TR !!...... or a link. I would like more info on LC. Seems like it's in peril.

Komorants...... I was jusr wondering the other day why they're not on Lake George with them being so present on Champlain.

The algae blooms on LC are scary. PBS Vermont has a show about them..

Geese suck. Very dirty and way too noisy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
http://nyskiblog.com
I'll throw up some more pics in a while. It was a short trip but it was fun
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
Where's Warner Lake siggy?
its in the helderberg's near thacher park. about 30 minutes south of albany. lake is a mile long , 1/2 mile wide. i rent a camp for the summer and can commute to work. i am convinced there is some back country lines up here just need to find the right local to share his spots. the helderbergs get some nice little dumps in the winter, it has a nice elevation change from albany.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Cool.  You're right, the Helderbergs are nice - feels like it's a world away from Albany.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ethan Snow
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
For a variety of reasons it's important to me that Floodwood, Follensby Clear and Rollins Pond are part of my kids' Adirondack vocabulary,
You sound a lot like my father. Thanks for sharing this post, Jeff.  When I was younger we used to go camping there for a week every year for I think 7 years or so. Lots of good paddling around there for sure. We would occasionally spend a night on an island that we would paddle to somewhere out toward Tupper Lake. It's been awhile, and I was a little guy, so I don't remember the name of the pond/lake.  We had a small Pop-up trailer. My dad sold it about 5 years ago, and we haven't really gone camping since. Not really sure why. Occasionally we go tent-camping for a couple nights in the high peaks region I think our skiing trips during the winter have replaced the need to go camping in my Fathers mind.

Lots of great memories associated with that place. Especially riding bikes around the campground and around Fish Creek Ponds. We used to ride our bikes to the cam store on the main highway every day to get Ice-cream.

I'll take boilerplate ice over wet snow any day
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
Nice thread. Long time Fish Creeker here. I hunt in the Helderbergs. Partridge Run to be exact.
I don't rip, I bomb.
sig
Reply | Threaded
|

sig
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Nice thread. Long time Fish Creeker here. I hunt in the Helderbergs. Partridge Run to be exact.
johnnyonthespot, i just sold a house on high point rd right next to partridge run. each time i drive there i almost go off the road looking for lines in those hills. there has to be some hidden gems to skin. when your hunting do you come across anything that can be skied?
Reply | Threaded
|

Johnnyonthespot
sig wrote
Johnnyonthespot wrote
johnnyonthespot, i just sold a house on high point rd right next to partridge run. each time i drive there i almost go off the road looking for lines in those hills. there has to be some hidden gems to skin. when your hunting do you come across anything that can be skied?
Just noticed this. I do see many lines, but I'm rarely there while there's snow. Usually hiking in Summer aka scouting for Fall deer season.
 Also headed to Fish Creek for Memorial Day. Gonna catch me a Northern!
I don't rip, I bomb.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Johnnyonthespot wrote
Also headed to Fish Creek for Memorial Day. Gonna catch me a Northern!
Johnny, I'll also be at Fish Creek Pond for Memorial day. Let me know if you get any free time.