MikeK
Banned User
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: S Bounding: xcD and XCd

Sick Bird Rider
Excellent reports, MikeK. You are setting a fine standard for S-Bounding reportage, though I think you do need to get shots of your skis leaning against a tree to really complete the picture .

This has definitely inspired me to get out on my S-Bounds and other skinny schwack skis.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Thank you friend.  I'm sure your scenery is much nicer than mine... this is all scrubby old farm land just outside the 'burbs.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Nice!  Thanks for positing.  It's miserable here. Did snow get heavier or lighter as day progressed?
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Much heavier.

I switched jackets in between, the first one was drenched.  The second one felt like a wet towel when I finished.

It's warmed up a bit and stopped snowing.  Lookin' kind of soggy.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
Looks like a fun day, jealous as I sat and watch the rain and Fog eat the last of our snow
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Bad ass. This is pure soul.

OT but did you guys catch the article on Whitegrass in the latest issue of Powder? I thought that was one of the coolest stories

MikeK, if you can, run as fast as you can and head for mountain country! Spend the rest of your life there.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Even though I have had the skis for two seasons, I have just discovered a whole new side to the S-Bound 112s. Mine are mounted with Burnt Mountain Lite Spike bindings, which I had mistakenly assumed were only compatible with molded plastic duckbills. And man, can you crank some turns on those suckers with 4-buckle Crispis! Turns out, they do work with old school leather tele boots, such as the 80s vintage Heierlings that TD gave me last week. He got them somewhere and finally admitted that they did not fit.

These are the same model that I bought in 1985 or so as my first pair of tele boots. After breaking two pairs, the store gave me a credit and I got the Merrell Ultras I still use today.

So this:

Plus this:

Equals touring awesomeness with turning potential.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
S Bounds are turny skis man... don't doubt them!
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I have no doubt. You'll have to take my word for it, but those are S-Bound tracks beside the skin track:

Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
I believe!  I believe!

I'm going to try to do some S Bounding tomorrow.  We've had great snow but I caught my death when I was out last time, or damn near.

I got a new present in the mail today.  Came from Colorado via the Czech Republic care of Norway.  I'll make a post about it later.
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Reply | Threaded
|

MikeK
Banned User
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
I have no doubt. You'll have to take my word for it, but those are S-Bound tracks beside the skin track:

Hmmm...the Sbounds tracks look like a dyslexic "S".     Cool.

Of course I shouldn't be lurking or even commenting in this thread as I own no S-bounds..
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
In reply to this post by Sick Bird Rider
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Even though I have had the skis for two seasons, I have just discovered a whole new side to the S-Bound 112s. Mine are mounted with Burnt Mountain Lite Spike bindings, which I had mistakenly assumed were only compatible with molded plastic duckbills. And man, can you crank some turns on those suckers with 4-buckle Crispis! Turns out, they do work with old school leather tele boots, such as the 80s vintage Heierlings that TD gave me last week. He got them somewhere and finally admitted that they did not fit.

These are the same model that I bought in 1985 or so as my first pair of tele boots. After breaking two pairs, the store gave me a credit and I got the Merrell Ultras I still use today.

So this:

Plus this:

Equals touring awesomeness with turning potential.
Glad you can use 'em, SBR.  They were my first Tele boots too.  So I bought those for nostalgia's sake - the fact that they are size 42's and my feet are 44's was irrelevant.... Until I actually tried to walk in them..
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.