SNOWEAST 2012 Reader Survey Winners

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SNOWEAST 2012 Reader Survey Winners

skunkape
Happy that Belleayre placed higher than Hunter because it is a better mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Yeah, soon I'll move to Colorado, develop a, ahem, "bad back", take my medicine from the local med shop, and grow a beard.  Oh, and learn to play the SKIN flute.

Fixed it for you bro!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by skunkape
skunkape wrote
Happy that Belleayre placed higher than Hunter because it is a better mountain.
What's better about it? I've never been there.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
It's a lot easier, so if you're not a good skier you'll feel better about yourself.
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
I'm not a skier at all, as you can see from my avatar. Belleayre is split in two, so the green runs are all at at the bottom of the mountain, you won't be riding with learners at all. In the morning if you head over to the Tomahawk lift, you will have that side of the mountain to yourself practically, as everyone else will be gang banging the Superchief. In snowy years, you can actually ride trees at Belleayre, and also they have a natural trail, Cathedral Glen. The two cruisers there, Deer run and
Roaring Brook are better than Hunter's only cruiser: Belt Parkway

After a snowfall, if you know where to go, there is some awesome poaching to be done at the old Highmount (you can see the top of the old lift through the trees at the last big dogleg of Deer Run).

Hunter cultivates a drunk insane crowd, (google "ppl of hunta" for some laughs) it is just a mob scene most days. Gear Theft is rampant, check or lock your gear if you head to the lodge. Still, I have fun there. I just have more fun at Belleayre and feel safer riding with my kids.

I'm not saying Belleayre is the best mountain in the world, but as a Catskills rider, it is the hill I call home. After riding Kirkwood during the March Blizzard in Tahoe I don't know if any theses places will cut it for me !
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I'd feel so stupid if my skis got stolen with a free ski check right outside the lodge and a couple locks sitting at home that i never use.