classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: SPRING SEASON PASS @#%)( SHOWDOWN

DomB
Cool thread.

I would like to go with the Ski3, but we're on Long Island, with Belle 2 1/2 hours away, Gore 4 (with no traffic), and WF 5, combined with two wonderful and little (read - sometimes very challenging to manage)  kids (5 and 2), without near-mountain lodging next season.  For us, it would be the $1500 or so for the passes, and we would make Belle our home, with a holiday trip to Gore or WF.  This will probably end up being the medium term plan.  If you do have two kids who are reliably skiing age, it seems to me that the season programs at Belle, Gore, or WF are a really good deal.  

It is more likely that we'll be going to Shawnee in the Poconos next year, with 3 passes at $300 or so a pop.  And do a holiday or two somewhere like Gore or WF.  With the kids this age, it makes sense.  First, my parents live 18 minutes away, so if we have a two hour drive there, we can stay overnight, and the kids get to see grandparents more.  I'll have to get a pass for my son who will still be 5 because they go off of height instead of age, so three passes will be $900.  But they have very cheap day care, which my 2 yo will need and my son will to a lesser extent.  The terrain isn't very interesting or challenging, but I can at least get time on the snow, and you can practice things on any trail you ski.  And the ski school for younger kids' programs are separate from the rest of the skiers.  Given the level of the skiers generally at the mountain, that is a good thing.

The negative side of Shawnee (besides the lack of vertical and the similarity of the trails) is the crowds - it makes it kind of scary to do anything with my 5 yo other than ski school where presumably he'll be more protected in a separate area.  I am also kind of worried about my wife for a similar reason - she has become agreeable to my interest in skiing (and the kids skiing), but I am afraid that a runaway boarder or skier is more likely to hit her at Shawnee.   My general plan will be to get to the 'mountain' early (lifts start at 8), ski with my son for 1/2 hour or an hour until the bunny slope becomes too much of an obstacle course, and then put him into ski school/day care combo.

Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Oh btw Skunkape, Stowe is amazing as folks have suggested.  

I was lucky enough to be there ten days ago, skiing it the first time since I was a novice.  The mountain is very big, with a great deal of nonstop 2000 vertical on the Mansfield side.  And there were a lot of cool tree shots (which admittedly we mostly got into accidentally).  In one glade, I was shocked to see that I could get my pole almost 3 ft into the snow (it has been a bad snow year for them, too.  They usually get 200-250 and had about 120 when I went).  I skied Hayride, probably a run of the mill single black there, and definitely felt the steepness on that one.  I think it is fair to say that the so-called "Front Four" trails (National, Liftline, Starr, Goat) may be the most famous expert runs on the East.  I guess you'd compare it to Rumor and Lies, but the Front Four look like they have more vertical, and Goat looks like it is only a few bumps wide in places (no disrespect to Gore).  

The other side, Spruce, was really, really good.  It faces the sun much more than Mansfield, so it had really nice soft spring snow.  What surprised me was how cool Spruce was.  It has some steepish stuff off the top of that side, and people probably don't appreciate that Spruce itself has a good deal of vertical (like 1600 feet uninterrupted) .  

Regarding the vibe/food/etc., at the top of the mountain, you can get really tasty food at about the same price as at the base, but it is like eating at a nice, decent Brooklyn restaurant (price and taste).  At the bottom of Mansfield, a much less tasty meal of chicken figures and onion rings costs the same (like $16).  But, what I thought was cool on the lower lodge was that a bunch of beers were well priced for a ski mountain ($5.50 for real beers).   Compared to Spruce (see below), the Mansfield side clearly had the feel to me of being much more about what I romanticize as the old school New England ski area.  

The Spruce side (across the street, accessed by a Gondola that crosses above the road), feels a little more mickey-mouse (or should I say Disney Land), with an expensive looking lodge that is nevertheless kind of well done for something like that, combined with timeshares and condos, all done in the past 5-10 years.

And Stowe village is definitely different than Lake Placid, but Stowe is 10 minutes from some really cool shops like the Cold Hollow Cider Mill, Ben & Jerry's factory, Cabot cheese factory store, and Lake Champlain chocolates.  
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
So here is the link to the Multi-mountain ski pass page (does not include the Epic passes which is what the Sierra guys get).
http://www.skicolorado.com/MultiMountain_SeasonPasses.html

Looks like prices went up about $30 from last year.

I am pulling the trigger on the Super Pass Plus, my friend has a place right by the train stop in old Winter park, he just emailed me and told me I could come visit anytime I like and stay as long as I like. WP is not my fav, Copper is high on my list though. Told the wife I am going to throttle back my business to no more than 60 hours a month next Winter which I can do from anywhere and go hang out in CO for about a month. Based in WP, I can go spend a few days in Steamboat and go over to Copper. I have never bought a season pass yet - I never wanted to be tied to one place or to lift served.

I don't know - I may be blowing $500 but what the hell. Lots can go wrong, the wife has trouble at home while I'm gone, I miss some big event with the grand kids, my racer grand daughter gets hurt - these have been my excuses in the past. I think it's time to let that go and go be a ski bum for a few weeks before I can't put my boots on anymore. Besides, the BC up Berthoud pass is phenomenal.  

Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
I think you're making a good decision.  Have fun with it next season!
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
Thanks, I am revisiting this and MAX seems like the way to go. 5 days each with killington alone almost recouping cost at the window. Son has friends that ride stratton so no brainer there, and a bunch of other nearish mountains that would be fun to go to. Mountain Collective is in second place, and sorry Peak and Vail/Epic- I really only wanted to go to kirkwood so tahoe local would be the way to fly. Heavenly if the road from SLT is closed.
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
The Mountain Collective Pass has moved on to the next stage.  Price went up $10 to $389.  More importantly, the $1 price for kids is gone.  Now an MCP for a kid 12 and under is $99, which was the price last season.  The bonus day is still available.  That usually doesn't go away until after June.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Buy your Ski3 Gore/WF/Belle pass through WHITEFACE's site and you get 2 free (non-holiday) lift tickets.  That's a damn nice perk IMO.  Details here.

Buy the same Ski3 pass through GORE, and you get NO free tickets.  Boo.  Details here.  Seems like a disconnect to me.  Why wouldn't all passholders simply buy their passes through WF?
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Quit bitchin........Gore has taco Tuesday listed
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
Buy your Ski3 Gore/WF/Belle pass through WHITEFACE's site and you get 2 free (non-holiday) lift tickets.  That's a damn nice perk IMO.  Details here.

Buy the same Ski3 pass through GORE, and you get NO free tickets.  Boo.  Details here.  Seems like a disconnect to me.  Why wouldn't all passholders simply buy their passes through WF?

I remember a few years ago everyone was buying their passes at Gore because they were cheaper down there for some reason that season.  No one really knows why Orda marketing does what they do.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Quit bitchin........Gore has taco Tuesday listed
what?  you have an issue with the Mexicans?  
I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by Z
Coach Z wrote
Adk Jeff wrote

I remember a few years ago everyone was buying their passes at Gore because they were cheaper down there for some reason that season.  No one really knows why Orda marketing does what they do.
Including ORDA marketing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Lateski
Must be an oversight by Gore.  Belleayre has the same perk for the Ski3 pass.