Sagamore!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sagamore!

telerider
After watching and hearing Sagamore getting in shape all weekend (my place looks straight out onto it), I started thinking about what I love and have missed about Sagamore.  Where does one begin???   For starters, I am a metal head at heart and the lifties play the best music on the mountain (IMO).  Three trips to Echo brought me Metallica, AIC (new singer stuff, very cool) and Tool.  What else do you love and miss about this awesome part of Gore?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sagamore!

Footer
The lift that is almost too fast... After lapping that thing a few times you kind of wish you were back on the high peaks chair.  Hopefully they get the last headwall covered well this year, last year it was a bit of a ride.  

Looking forward to it though.  I'm going Thursday and will head right over there.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
The comfy cozy lift, the top half of Echo, the wonderful Sags. Never got to ski Sags when it had good snow and was groomed,,,,, would love to bomb it midweek. Don't think anyone misses Hedges.

Hey this year there's also that new connector to check out.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
Burnt Ridge is the best part of Gore by far and I could lap it all day.  It blows the Dark Side and the Summit away.  The trails are long, fast, and have good snow.  All of this is served by the fastest most comfortable ride on the mountain, and yes, the lifties do play the best music on the mountain at the bottom.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by telerider
telerider wrote
    For starters, I am a metal head at heart

WORD
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
In reply to this post by snoloco
Haven't been over to Burnt Ridge lately, but, the liftie at the bottom of the High Peaks was playing some excellent metal Saturday, and he had the best sounding boom box.

oh, oh, oh, Jamie's cryin'……wah wah……..
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris@GORE
In reply to this post by snoloco
I think "blows it away" is a little strong. You obviously were not skiing the summit or DS yesterday,it was pretty surreal in the morning. When running(open) the BR quad is a sweet ride.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
Yeah, Burnt Ridge needs two more trails to make it awesome: a legitimate bump run (Sagamore is bumped sometimes on the steeper pitches, but it's better as a cruiser and powder day lapper), and a low level blue cruiser (Echo is cool, but the one steep part scares the crap out of low intermediates and the new trail is too narrow for them). Straight underneath the chair should be the bump run, skier's left of sagamore should be the cruiser.

The cool thing about Straightbrook and Darkside is that they usually have those trails (in addition to glades, steeps, etc.). Straightbrook doesn't have a bump trail right now, but they usually let Rumor and/or Chati bump up nice in spring.
Reply | Threaded
|

mikegbflo
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
I love sag for lots of reasons, mainly because it reminds me of superstar.
also,
I'm no musical genius, but am certain Van Halen is not metal.

The long days of Shockley are gone,
 So is football Kennedy style
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
mikegbflo wrote

Agreed, they are very much on the cusp. But, that's my favorite Halen song, and it sure sounded good at the moment, pumped loud.
Plenty of metal guitar players were influenced by Eddie, so……...

funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

64ER
Benny Profane wrote
mikegbflo wrote

Agreed, they are very much on the cusp. But, that's my favorite Halen song, and it sure sounded good at the moment, pumped loud.
Plenty of metal guitar players were influenced by Eddie, so……...
Well, hold on there Pilgrim.  Eddie V. may have been incited by the likes of Lou Reed (Rock 'N Roll), Rundgren (Heavy Metal Kids) and wait for it....Zep/Jimmy Page (Misty Mountain Hop, Immigrant Song).  All of which are on the Top to Bottom Nonstop 20 Mogul Tunes List, right here @ Gore Mountain.  The #1 Bump Ballad is a dead heat, Joe Walsh/James Gang (Rocky Mtn. Way) or if so inclined Neil Young/Crazy Horse (Why Do I Keep F#%&@ING UP?)  None of which we will ever hear on the Michael Bolton themed Walt's Bump Contest, rescheduled from the Lightening Fright incident to hopefully sometime in March.  This March.

Ski you on the Hill, soon thru the Trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Footer
Looks like I won't get to track Sagamore up tomorrow on its first day... the aren't opening it till Friday...  
Reply | Threaded
|

mikegbflo
In reply to this post by 64ER
64ER wrote
Walt's Bump Contest, rescheduled from the Lightening Fright incident to hopefully sometime in March.  This March.
I hope you are right! really could'nt understand why they had it so early.
The long days of Shockley are gone,
 So is football Kennedy style
Reply | Threaded
|

YUKON CORNELIUS
In reply to this post by telerider
Sagamore and Echo both skied the best on the mountain (after Lies got skied off very early) on Saturday. I lapped them both for most of the day.
"This is pure snow! Do you have any idea what the street value of this mountain is?"
Reply | Threaded
|

telerider
BR skied well this weekend, only you couldn't get a run at Cedars from Twister due to GS training/racing.  The Saturday liftie crew was slacking on music, they were playing a rock radio station but the Sunday team had Metallica going the few runs I took there.   Those guys could be program directors at WSOU in South Orange (at least Seton Hall University played all metal when I was a teen 25 years ago...).  Also, the highest concentration of tele'ers I have seen in one place this year.  I think I was in the majority there on Saturday.  
Reply | Threaded
|

SIAWOL
^ always a good idea to keep the knee droppers isolated from the common folk....Something about showers, duct tape, and the abundance of facial hair...