Sailing on the Long Island Sound - 7/5/15

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sailing on the Long Island Sound - 7/5/15

Skiray
Sailing leads to some fantastic fun and memories. We hope you like our latest summer adventure with friend Darius and his family.Yes, we do more than just ski!

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sailing on the Long Island Sound - 7/5/15

Z
Nice

I wanted a sail boat but my family didn't share that interest so we ended up with a bow rider instead
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
I know my wife is sold, the kids now too after a few trips this year and a couple last. Just another expensive hobby!

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Nothing more relaxing than a day sailing...
That said, boating is the most expensive addiction known to man...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Nice.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
I've been trying to rent a 4 person sailboat in Great Neck all summer, haven't found the time yet. The vif got me stoked to finally find a day though. The water is beautiful this year, coming in hot early!
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
You sail ML242? Maybe we can get you out on our friends vessel one day this summer.  We want to get a sail boat but, the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ are what has us concerned.  Have you looked at Sound Sailing Center up in Norwalk?

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
This is the one i was going to do, $28/hr split 4 ways after you do the classes.

http://thewaterfrontcenter.org/rentals-charters/daily-sailboat-kayak-sup-rentals/rhodes-19/
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
Rhodes 19 are very nice day sail boats. Easy to navigate and good in light wind too.  I think you can even run a spinnaker on that too.  For $28 an hour split 4 ways, that is a great deal.  Heck, maybe I will join you too!

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by Skiray
Skiray wrote
We want to get a sail boat but, the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ are what has us concerned.  
You know what they say about boats...
By the way, cool video Ray.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
Sailboats can be very affordable. Though there seems to be a law that states: the lower the cost of your boat, the longer it will take to get it in the water. I bought a Siren 17 five years ago for $500, it MIGHT get in the water tomorrow. Seriously. Part of the reason I have not been posting much lately.

We did go yard sailing last week:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
I would love to hear this story and of course next time you need company on Siren, I can be a good deck hand.

Last year a good friend of mine was going to give me his boat, a Pearson 32 Shaw design boat. Wonderful looking vessel and knowing my friend, and how he keeps his shops clean and personally is very organized, I was a bit saddened to see that his boat was neglected. Well not by intent as the yard crew must did a number in his vessel. They changed his engine, and looked like someone rummaged through it since it had been dry docked for so long.  We were really close to taking her then we started to add up all the things we needed to do and pay for just to move her.  That alone was about 7K. Then it looks like it needed a new mast step, maybe even a new mast, rigging, engine as the one he had was taken and swapped out with something else.. We passed.. A free boat doesn't really mean free.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Skiray wrote
I would love to hear this story
Um yea!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Skiray
Skiray wrote
I would love to hear this story and of course next time you need company on Siren, I can be a good deck hand.

Last year a good friend of mine was going to give me his boat, a Pearson 32 Shaw design boat. Wonderful looking vessel and knowing my friend, and how he keeps his shops clean and personally is very organized, I was a bit saddened to see that his boat was neglected. Well not by intent as the yard crew must did a number in his vessel. They changed his engine, and looked like someone rummaged through it since it had been dry docked for so long.  We were really close to taking her then we started to add up all the things we needed to do and pay for just to move her.  That alone was about 7K. Then it looks like it needed a new mast step, maybe even a new mast, rigging, engine as the one he had was taken and swapped out with something else.. We passed.. A free boat doesn't really mean free.

Very true. Big boats are a whole other thing. I had a similar experience with a 26' something or other a few years ago. It had been abandoned by the owner and was sitting in the water, covered in mold and gunk. The marina just wanted to get rid of it but costs of hauling out, trailer, etc., etc. were ridiculous. And it wasn't really a great boat anyway. Smaller trailerable boats area different story. You could buy an immaculate Siren (with trailer) for about $2500. Probably hard to find in your area but something like a Catalina 22 could be found for under $5 K.

@ Harv: the restore process has been well documented and will be made public once we actually get it in the water.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
I've owned quite a few boats over the years including a 31 foot monohull. Boats that can be trailered are much less expensive to maintain. That is why you will sometimes see 25-27 foot boats for "free". The annual yard bill can be more that the boat is worth. And to point out the obvious, bigger boats have more stuff, which needs maintenance and eventually brakes. My 16 foot hobie cat  requires little to maintain (except this year since I bought sails for $800).

ALso check out this site for low cost sailing in the NY/NJ area. http://www.sailseas.com/

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
We sailed a Hobie Wave this summer a couple of days and I have to say "FUN". That thing took off like a rocket. 0 to 15Kts in like 15 seconds.  This without a jib. We are totally newbies to sailing but, can say that it really helped with the summer days, keeping our kids excited and learning a lost skill I think....  Still in the market for a boat, most likely a keel boat, something with a cabin so I can invite some of you to camp on it with us.

R

AlbaAdventures.com