School me on Park City / Canyons

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
84 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: School me on Park City / Canyons

Marcski
I've never been to the Canyons. I had a few days at Park City years ago.  The Motherload and Thaynes lifts serve some nice terrain as do the 2 lifts that service the upper ridge, McConkey's and Jupiter.  While, I generally do agree that if given the choice, I'd be in LCC, but Park City/Canyons blow Whiteface out of the water especially so far this season.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Did you change the initial post or something? Lots of blathering useless posts for what was asked

And Benny is due to add some valuable info about one of his Italy trips
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
skimore wrote
 Lots of blathering useless posts for what was asked
Now you've added to that blather.  
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
In reply to this post by skimore
First - you are going to have a great time.

Canyons has a lot of nooks and crannies. There are the usual fun spots - 9990, Murdock, Paradise Bowl. Two examples of  less obvious spots are both sides off Saddleback Express - one side is The Pines and one side is The Aspens. There is a ton of fun, steepish tree skiing that is great low key skiing. I spent an afternoon by myself in this area after a 8 inch storm and despite the shortness of the runs, I kept yo-yoing the lift.  The valley between Sun Peaks Ex and Super Condor also has a lot of fun lines. There is a long run out, but it is worth it.

At Park City the West Face of Jupiter all the way around to the new Quicksilver Gondola are worth skiing. Jupiter seems to have less traffic than McConkeys - maybe because Jupiter is still serviced by a double.

If is snows 12 inches or more go to Deer Valley. There will be less traffic than the other 2 and you can enjoy a great meal on the mountain.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
It wouldn't be my first choice for snow or terrain, but it's where my crew is heading for our mid-winter guys' trip this year.  And with all the hoopla about combining PC / Canyons, I've got to admit I'm curious to check it out.  

So give me some terrain recommendations.  I'm looking for trees, steeps, quality snow, especially hike-to options.  Jupiter Bowl / Jupiter Peak and Pinecone RIdge at PC look good.  I believe you can exit the new gondi at the mid-station atop Pinecone Ridge, so that makes some of that terrain more accessible this year.  At Canyons, the stuff off Murdock Peak / Murdock Bowl looks cool as does the stuff off Peak 9990.  I'm not bringing avi gear and will likely be solo at times, so I'll be sticking to in-bound terrain.  And (for Raisin') I like to keep my skis mostly in contact with the earth so no cliff-hucking expeditions.

We're staying at Canyons, but I'm definitely planning on hitting the PC side plenty.

So whatcha got for me?

Hope it snows and you have a great trip with your friends. Not much else matters and I'm sure you'll find some decent terrain.
Reply | Threaded
|

skunkape
In reply to this post by skimore
skimore wrote
Did you change the initial post or something? Lots of blathering useless posts for what was asked

And Benny is due to add some valuable info about one of his Italy trips
 Dude every thread I read has you bitching about something right in the middle and talking shit about people, with zero useful contributions. Whats up with your King Asshole stance on everything? Everyone rambles here, haven't you noticed?
Reply | Threaded
|

poindexter
In reply to this post by x10003q
I agree with x10003q's comments about the Canyons. That Saddleback area was great. We had 2 really nice days at the Canyons a few years ago.  I found it to be very uncrowded away from the beginner terrain, and the trees are really nice.  I also love Deer Valley - I really like the layout and the lack of snowboarders (and of course the food!)  Park City is a really nice town. I think that you will have a great time.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Oh my, somebody is a little cranky when there's no snow in the hood. That's OK, I can relate.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Last time I was in PCMR it was 1994 (I think) - it was pretty nice as I recall. Never been to The Canyons. I can't imagine not having fun there particularly this time of year. I would never go past early March as it is relatively low elevation compared to LCC & BCC. Have fun and enjoy the town. My better half always makes me take her shopping in the town when we go to SLC, we always take home some Western art or nicnak.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
After rereading, I think a good part of these threads turns out to just be people validating their own purchases and fantasies. (not you peetex)
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
Thanks for the feedback so far!  We're going out in about 3 weeks (around Jan 30).  Skiing for 3 days.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by ml242
ml242 wrote

Hope it snows and you have a great trip with your friends. Not much else matters and I'm sure you'll find some decent terrain.
Right on!

I've been on ski trips where the skiing was so bad that we didn't even bother to ski, but it didn't stop the fun factor whatsoever. It's all about the who and not the where for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
campgottagopee wrote
I've been on ski trips where the skiing was so bad that we didn't even bother to ski, but it didn't stop the fun factor whatsoever. It's all about the who and not the where for me.
EXACTLY.

And when the place is already picked you don't need a bunch of people telling you why it sucks.

I've seen rain out west and found trees to ski worth the price of admission at Keystone on the right day.

When people are super judgemental about where and what to ski it just reminds me of people who say they'd quit skiing if they moved East, like it'd be impossible to ever have a good time. Just depends on the day and company for me. You make your own fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
ml242 wrote
When people are super judgemental about where and what to ski it just reminds me of people who say they'd quit skiing if they moved East, like it'd be impossible to ever have a good time. Just depends on the day and company for me. You make your own fun.
Kind of like people saying they would leave the U.S. if Trump were elected.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
PeeTex wrote
Kind of like people saying they would leave the U.S. if Hillary were elected.
Fixed it for ya!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
JTG4eva! wrote
PeeTex wrote
Kind of like people saying they would leave the U.S. if Hillary were elected.
Fixed it for ya!
Or Bernie for that matter
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
Murdock's bootpack right off trail:

Murdock's:

9990 bootpack at top of 9990 chair far right in pic cut off but its that close to chair:

9990 (out of bounary gate)

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
MY EYES, THEY'RE BURNING!
Reply | Threaded
|

ADmiKe
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
And of course no day complete without a sweet Gaper shot to show the ladies back home in my single days.....(all these pics are 2009ish)

9990 gate...

As you can see most of this stuff is pretty low key...compared to usual west coast shtuff

Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by ADmiKe
NICE!!!