Scweitzer, anyone been to?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Scweitzer, anyone been to?

Efilnikufesin
This horrible winter has finally spurred me to hop on a plane and finally check out some western mountains. Was thinking Kirkwood or Squaw in Tahoe at first, or Solitude and Snowbird in SLC, or A Basin and Copper in Colorado....but I usually like to hit up places that no one usually hits and the PNW and interior regions have always intrigued me.

Schweitzer has caught my attention. Anyone been to? Any reasons I should stay away?

Crystal is a bit on my radar as well, any reasons to chose over Schweitzer?

Think I am pretty set on it. Might even hit up Red up for a day just over the way in hockey land, or Silver for day.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Scweitzer, anyone been to?

MikeK
Banned User
Jeez, I'd tell you to check Telemark East because there is a guy who posts there who lives out in Spokane and skis Schweitzer and Lookout regularly.  He got a little internet spankin' though.

I could put you in touch with him if you have no other options.  He's kind of an ass, but he does love skiing and knows that area.
Reply | Threaded
|

Efilnikufesin
It looks like it's up my alley. 1200 acres of trees runs. 2900 acres total terrain and fairly simple layout. Can probably hit up Mt. Spokane the day I arrive before heading out to Schweitzer too.  

Getting pumped thinking about it.

ETA- Plus it looks like altitude sickness wouldn't even be a problem there, so that's a plus. My one friend has bad asthma, so could see him being a prime candidate.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Efilnikufesin
Reply | Threaded
|

Efilnikufesin
I think you just sold me on it. Tickets and lodging are fairly reasonable too. Flights seem to be a bit more than to other spots, but the lodging and ticket prices seem to make up for it vs Colorado (man they have some wild ticket prices, thought Stowe was bad.) Had read the magazine article on here, but those TR pics from Jamesdeluxe look good.
Reply | Threaded
|

EVVDave
Another vote in the "go" column here. Beautiful vistas, nice small town in Sandpoint, and it's big enough and far enough off the beaten path that there's seldom any crowd issues. Southwest flies to Spokane, in case you haven't checked fares with them (and I think they still let you check a ski bag for free).

The Stella six-pack lift has a pretty unique themed loading area too, but that's more a point of trivia and interest for me rather than any sort of reason to go in itself.

Enjoy!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Also If you are flying into Spokane..Your are a relatively  short ride to the Red Mtn and Whitewater...take advantage of the good exchange rate...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

nepa
Efilnikufesin wrote
Crystal is a bit on my radar as well, any reasons to chose over Schweitzer?
I've been to both, and I would definitely take Schweitzer over Crystal.  I really think you would enjoy either spot, but your chances of finding less people and drier snow are better at Schweitzer.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
We did Schweitzer, Red, Silver all on one trip.  Altitude is not an issue.  Biggest issue for these is visibility can suck and being low it could rain if you get a wet and warm front off the ocean.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Efilnikufesin
I think it is all settled then going to start booking. Hoping for no rain, the NW seems to be getting pounded with snow this year.

Coach how was Silver? Thinking of hitting that or Red for a day. Red would be my preferred choice, but my one friend got himself in trouble crossing the border being a stupid young adult about 20 years ago and I had a DWAI about 19 years ago. I wouldn't think it would be a problem after all these years, but have heard some stories.

Mt. Spokane worth hitting up while I am in Spokane for the afternoon?

Thanks for the information everyone, appreciate it. Will try to remember to make a TR and throw up some pics.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Red is a really far drive over pretty sketchy roads for just a day trip from Schweitzer. Red is a true experts only Mt.  Very little blue skiing there.  My recollection is s mostly all double blacks and tight trees.

Silver was pretty fun for a place no one on the east coast has ever heard of.  

Dont bother with Mt Spokane.  I haven't skied it but I have an uncle and cousins in Spokane and they ski at Silver.

When we skied Schweitzer we stayed at the hotel right at the base which is the way to go vs driving up from Sandpoint everyday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Efilnikufesin
Was thinking Mt. Spokane just for a couple hours riding after the flight if we get in in the afternoon, but if we get in early enough to get an extra half day at Schweitzer, would rather do that.

Booking the hotel on the mountain as we speak. Price isn't too bad and when I threw in the lift tickets, the price didn't change..hoping that isn't an error.
Reply | Threaded
|

Efilnikufesin
In reply to this post by Z
The tight trees/expert terain I don't mind, but I think I would hear some bi***ing about it (yeah I'm the guy who says "hey let's do this it looks good," then when all is said and done everyone looks at me like they want to kill me.) Looks like Silver for a day if the opportunity presents itself.
Reply | Threaded
|

Jamesdeluxe
I respectfully disagree with Coach's comment about Mount Spokane and think that it's worth a day or even a half-day visit. The one I really urge you to check out if conditions are good is 49 Degrees North.
Reply | Threaded
|

Efilnikufesin
Well, unfortunately had to waylay heading to Schweitzer till next year. Just couldn't get all the parties orientated. Though Stowe looks to be in my future.  Still have about three weeks and change for some snow to fall.

Oh well, but could have worked out worse.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
Right now it looks like Maine has some really good skiing from some photos I saw today
Reply | Threaded
|

Efilnikufesin
Don't think I hadn't noticed. I'm a big Sugarloaf fan too. Did Saddleback ever open this year? Need to check.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
Wait a few weeks. The end of February into March I bet we start to see some significant cycles getting pumped through. Do a last minute trip to place of desired pow ski. You can do this on a serious budget if you are smart. I do it every now and then and I have nothing. Make it happen man.
Reply | Threaded
|

Efilnikufesin
Not heading up till March 6th, and things look to be shaping up temperature wise in the NE with some snow along the Green Spine so far.  Might hit Maine though if the big storms keep heading up the coastline then sweeping through there. Would be my first time at Stowe though, have always hit Jay and Sugarbush. Still have yet to hit Smugg's as well.

Getting to the point I am daydreaming at work about getting away. Been a while since a vacation, thought I was going to take some time in November when Killington opened early but... we all know how that turned out.