classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Seal Watching & Shark Story on Cape Cod

Brownski
This post was updated on .
I meant to post some of the below pics a couple weeks ago under "things to do with kids" but I never got around to it. While up in Cape Cod we took the kids seal watching. It's like wale watching but you're in a smaller boat for a shorter period and they stay in sheltered waters so you're less likely to get sick (if you're prone). I was reminded when I saw this story about a shark grabbing a seal right off of Nauset beach.

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2017/08/23/calls-for-shark-cull-in-cape-cod-after-great-white-mauls-seal-near-packed-beach/amp/

I'm guessing we'll all agree that trying to cull the shark population is a boneheaded idea but what to do about the beaches is a pretty tough question. For myself I'll probably just play the odds but I don't think I'll get away with that policy for my kids.

It's really a sight-seeing trip just as much as it is about the seals... lots of fishing boats and light houses and big old houses. It was pretty fun. The guy that took us out was a life long Cape Codder so he had lots of cool info to share.

"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Seal Watching & shark story on Cape Cod

Sick Bird Rider
Nice seals, did you see any sharks?
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Seal Watching & shark story on Cape Cod

Brownski
Nah but I was looking. The number of seals out there blew me away
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Seal Watching & Shark Story on Cape Cod

JTG4eva!
In reply to this post by Brownski
Looks like fun!  Always great to get out on the water, although it's not for my wife...her sea legs and constitution are lacking!

I didn't see the news about that incident at Nauset on Wednesday.  Scary stuff, that was way too close to shore for comfort.  Not only is Nauset our favorite beach.....when there's some surf I'm usually the person furthest out who isn't on a surf board.  When I get the fins and bodyboard out and the kids see a seal out there they always plead for me to come closer to shore.  Maybe I'll listen to them a little more.  Maybe it's a good think we can't head to the Cape this weekend like we wanted!  
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
This has been my favorite Cape Cod seal encounter to date, after walking a half mile out in the Pleasant Bay shallows off Chatham North Beach at low tide.

from Chris Kidd on Vimeo.

Had to be hundreds, just lounging in the deeper water just off the tidal flats, middle of nowhere out in the Bay. They just stared at us, and they'd drift towards us on the tide, and when they got too close they'd all turn and bolt back a bit....then repeat, again, and again. It was pretty cool, kind of experience you never forget. That's the great thing about the Cape (like so many countless other beautiful places across the Country)....just so many cool things to do and see if you are willing to invest the effort!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Nice video, JTG. We walked way out at low tide while we were up there but didn't see any seals that day. I did have a couple swim by while I was kayak-surfing at Nauset which made me a little nervous.