Seat height over handle bars

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Seat height over handle bars

Chris
My saddle is higher than my handle bars by about 2"...  Just out of curiosity where does ya'lls sit in comparison?

My initial thoughts are that the bike's too small, which it may be... but after I work through the thought process I come to the conclusion that it works for me, and I'm comfortable on the bike, sometimes I get a little hand pain, probably a bit too much pressure from forward leaning.  Very rarely I'll get a little neck soreness but that's maybe 3 times per year.

Thoughts?
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Seat height over handle bars

MC2 5678F589
I think my road bike seat is a little above the handlebars. Mountain bikes are flat or a little lower than the bars.

Generally, I go by the feedback my body gives me. I figure there's 3 points of contact (hands, butt, feet) and if one of those things hurt more than the others, something needs to be changed.

I wouldn't worry about a small amount of discomfort after a couple of hours, but neck soreness would annoy me.
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
If we are talking about road bike then you want the seat 2" or so over the handlebars.  Check out slam that stem website for more examples.  You will see that your two inches is nothing:
http://slamthatstem.com/

and remember "Slam That Stem!!!"   

Claude
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
hmmm never measured but let me consult some bikes leaning against shit pics.....

yep similar to yours, an inch or two above the seat for trail/climbing - but I LOVE the dropper post on the descent/flow trails. One of those things that once you have one you can't fathom living without it.

maybe a bit higher on the "road" bike

Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
gorgonzola wrote
hmmm never measured but let me consult some bikes leaning against shit pics.....
I have been experimenting with various seat heights in order to find the perfect setup for optimal tree-leaning. The snowstorm put a kibosh on riding for this season, so you will have wait until next season for the full TR, with pics.

Early results are promising, though. As you can see in the photograph below, my bike (on the left) has the seat about level with the handlebars and is resting quite smartly up against the tree. On the other hand, TD's bike (equipped with a dropper post, I might add) is looking pretty precarious with a low seat, set for descending:

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Adk Jeff
In reply to this post by gorgonzola
gorgonzola wrote
Bonus points for the gnomes!
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
thanks, with machine guns and bare asses no less... those trail gnomes know how to party!
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Same bike as in SBR's pic. This time with full seat extension.
It's leaning quite well against my house.

"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
My 1 speed dirt road bike. It's leaning very photogenically against my garage.  It's a stretch to ride the drops, but not painfully so...
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.