classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Second Half of March 2011

Harvey
Administrator
I know Jason is extremely reluctant to make long term prognostications — online at least.  But we've got quite a few folks here who are model readers.  

Josh Fox seems to imply that there might be some more gas in the tank:

http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/2011/03/yes-rain-is-still-unavoidable-but-we.html

Anybody care to go out on a limb?  How much more winter to we get? When does spring skiing start?
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Second Half of March 2011

JasonWx
Harv, I wouldn't be surprised to see another couple of events..But for us to have a decent spring , the rain has to end..
Lets just hope for drought conditions..Warm days and cold nights would rock...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Jason or any of the other weather experts... warm enough next weekend for (more) spring skiing? Cats? Daks?
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
At Gore what precip fell today was frozen at the top.  It looks like a little bit of frozen for Gore this week and hopefully no wet.  The temps look to be a bit high though.  There is a lot of snow and it will be a while before it melts at Gore...looks like a great spring.  I just hope Plattekill doesn't lose too much...I can't wait to ski there Friday, thoughts?
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Friday is looking ok for Platt..System passing well north and west of NYS , moderate S.W. wind with comfy temps.Sat and Sunday should be breezy and seasonable for the mountains..

The snow is still deep in the Cats as long as they avoid any rain this week, conditions should be good at Platt.
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Jason .. what about the weekend, both south and north?

Darrin seems to think that winter ain't done yet:

http://www.adirondackweathersite.com/2011/03/what-now.html
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
the man speaks the truth..there are strong signs that the Greenland Block will come back in full force at the end of the month. It also looks like we will have to endure some very warm weather before that happens.
As for Wed/Thrus it looks like mixed bag for the Cats and Dacks..Might be all rain for the Cats, followed by a very warm a Friday with temps approaching 60 in the Cats. Sat and Sunday a little cooler..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
To the meteo-crew - Jason, Suds, Nor'Easter, anyone:

If you had total flexibility this weekend (which I don't have)...

... where, in New York, would you ski each day of this weekend - Friday, Saturday, and Sunday ...

if your decision was based on WEATHER ... temps, cloud cover, opportunity for soft snow... either corn or new snow?

You can ski different mountains each day, and don't consider the amount of travel.
Reply | Threaded
|

sudsnbumps
My answers are easy...Platte Friday, which is looking better and better with each model run...although the wind is of some concern...Sunday Gore is looking like a beach party with the Bump Contest too...Saturday night will be very cold so it may take time to soften.  I'll be at Gore on Saturday too but it may not soften until late.  It all depends on how much sun we get and how early.  Southern areas might be softer earlier.
Proud to call Gore My Home Mountain
Covid stole what would have been my longest season ever!
I'll be back
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
In reply to this post by Harvey
first the weather...

Friday will be unseasonably warm everywhere. A cold front will come through on friday night. Temps will be seasonable on Sat/Sun..

So skiing over the weekend will be all about following  the sun..

That said, I will probably ski Hunter on Saturday. (james you can call me out on this)
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
I'm hitting Hickory on Saturday and Gore on Sunday.  I'm hoping the upper mountain at Hickory will soften early.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
FWIW, West soften early today....then I rode my bike! Cool to get out and ride in the fresh air....The Outlaw is next...can't wait.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Weather guys... any prognostication on the next 10 days?
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
Harv, If you take the models verbatim, It looks unseasonably cold and unsettled..Spring is the season of transition.The pattern is unstable and changes from run to run sometimes..
"Peace and Love"