classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
35 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Severe Spring Weather (2011)

Harvey
Administrator
Great looking video. It's hard to imaging the water falls "relocating itself downstream."

Here's a video published by the Wild Center this morning from Buttermilk Falls on the Raquette...

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Water levels in North Creek

Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
The close to 40,000 CFS stat is pretty impressive.  Imagine that through the Narrows sections of the Gorge.  Not a biblical flood or the Cheat River 1985 flood but still remarkable.  
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
When the HELL is it gonna stop raining! All of finals week it was gorgeous out, and the entire week after I get out of school it rains. I wanna to go Tuckerman. Just my luck
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
maybe Sunday...I hate spring in the North East, just awful...
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
In reply to this post by tBatt
fujative wrote
When the HELL is it gonna stop raining! All of finals week it was gorgeous out, and the entire week after I get out of school it rains. I wanna to go Tuckerman. Just my luck

Stop complaining and git your kayak out!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I don't have a drytop or a wetsuit. It's a bit too chilly for this guy!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
From NCPR.org:

Rainstorms trigger slide in Keene Valley, threatening homes

(05/18/11) Weeks of relentless rain have destabilized a massive section of hillside in the Adrian's Acres neighborhood in Keene Valley, which sits on the slopes of Porter Mountain.

Town and state officials say an area roughly a half-mile wide has begun to shift, slumping downward several inches each day.

Full Story (Audio)
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Michaeltokyo
Michaeltokyo wrote
Stop complaining and git your kayak out!
One of my friends just told me she's running the gorge tomorrow. I wanna do it, but I have to mow some lawns

Went up to Rockwell and the Sac today, the water is definitely high still, but not what it was before.

Reply | Threaded
|

Michaeltokyo
If you're a novice with nerve and some experienced friends, you can do the Gorge at 6' (more like 7' with the bubble from the release).  I did that at these levels the beginning of my first year of WW kayaking (at the end of March).  Thanks to an "Indian Rescue" from a friend, I didn't swim the one of the rapid I couldn't roll in.  You will get a big step up in your ability and confidence if you give the Gorge a shot.  It's a very safe Class 3-4 run.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I'm a bit nervous, but I'd LOVE to do it. The people I would run it with are all raft/kayak guides with proper training, so I wouldn't be worried about that at all.

I wanted to be a raft guide this summer so I could be out in the river more, but without being certified as a guide, I wouldn't be on the Hudson. So I wouldn't be making a whole lot of money this summer and I still have to pay my dad back somewhere around $7k for school/other stuff.

I start working 6 days a week tomorrow, so not much room for kayaking in my schedule, unfortunately.

Hopefully I'll be good to go for next summer. Getting paid a little less to do something you enjoy is much better than getting a lot for something you don't, but the bills are screaming my name.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
All that severe weather is headed towards New York. Area in yellow is a Tornado Watch.

TORNADO WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WT 382
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
220 PM EDT THU MAY 26 2011

TORNADO WATCH 382 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1000 PM EDT FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS. NEW YORK COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE....(32 COUNTIES LISTED).
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Hoping the lightning holds off on the weekend. Rafting (maybe) Saturday, Kayaking Sunday.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Yikes VT:

Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Horrible winds/rain hit my house last night for about 10 minutes. Trees down everywhere, including one on Sud's house! (everyone is ok, as far as I know.) Pretty amazing for a 5 minute storm.

I heard of 1.5" hail down between the Hudson and Mass.

It's not just the East, either. The Teton's were getting pounded with snow and northern Colorado was getting pounded with hail and rain, too. I was talking to some girl who lives out there, she said they had to bring her friend's horses up to her house because their area was getting flooded.