classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Shelving Rock Mountain/Dacy Clearing in Lake George

Chris
This post was updated on .
One of my favorite rides to do is Shelving Rock Mtn.  There are so many reasons to love this trip...  The road to get to trailhead is so neat and really gives you a back woods feeling, the dirt road guides you up and back down toward Lake George while twisting along some sections with 60'-70' drops only inches from the roadway, without guard rails.  Washouts, and blind corners keep it an interesting ride.

There is single track in the area but most is double track/snowmobile trail.  Don't let this discourage you from coming here, there is a ton of fun land to ride.

You can find some serious hike a bike, but if you look at a contour map it's pretty obvious where those areas are.  So many options back here: you can ride down toward the water and mess around on slick rock and single track by the water, head up to the waterfall, go rock climbing, fishing or head up and climb some mountains on your bicycle.  When riding the shoreline trails you always have a view of the lake and a nice breeze.  

When we ride we usually park at the last trailhead so that we can change into the suits and take a dip after the ride, which I did yesterday.
I would guess the ride from the last parking lot to the summit of Shelving Rock Mtn is about 2 miles consisting of dirt road, to snowmobile trail.  It's a solid climb with some rocky/rooty technical sections and definitely is a burner.  I have no yet completed the climb without dismounting but IT WILL HAPPEN!  Same rock garden gets me every time. I didn't get a photo of it because I was too gassed and trying to ward off the mosquitos.  

Another thing to love about this ride is that there is a great vista waiting for you at the top and there's always a nice breeze to keep the bugs away.

After descending I took a left and rode toward Dacy Clearing.  The trail follows a creek up the ravine, there are some bridges that are fun to jump on the descent. This again is snowmobile trail all very rideable.  I'm so out of shape that I had to turn around about a mile in, I couldn't climb fast enough to keep them from biting.

After a really fun bomb down the trail, out onto the road and to the truck you can make a quick change and ride down to the water.  The sunsets are amazing, there are all sorts of cool nooks to swim in... You just cannot go wrong.  I highly suggest this area.

The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Shelving Rock Mountain/Dacy Clearing in Lake Georg

Sick Bird Rider
Excellent report and really nice pictures, Chris. There is some serious travel on that bike you ride - maybe you should get a hardtail, the climbs would be easier .
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sick Bird Rider wrote
Excellent report and really nice pictures, Chris. There is some serious travel on that bike you ride - maybe you should get a hardtail, the climbs would be easier .
I'm guessing his fork and maybe his shock have lockouts.  That would negate any energy loss while climbing.  And the longer travel just makes it more fun on the way down.   Climbing is highly overrated, and should only be justified by the potential energy earned.  Just sayin'....

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thacheronix
In reply to this post by Chris
WOW COOL. Nice doggie too!
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
The bike is definitely overkill for most of the riding I do.  When I purchased I just wanted 1 bike that could do it all.  When I'm gasping for air and my legs are cramping I try not to think about a hard tale I just think about how good this workout is.  I admit, it's hard to do now that the lady is passing me on climbs.  

White collar work is getting the best of me.

She's a great pup when she listens!
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Shelving Rock Mountain/Dacy Clearing in Lake George

Harvey
Administrator
This is a saweet post.  

I broke it out on it's own and overrode the character limit on thread titles so it could fully represent!

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Aw Lake George ! The nicest lake in the country. Yea, Tahoe is pretty and also has clear water like Lake George but Tahoe is way too cold.
Reply | Threaded
|

freeheeln
park at hogtown- sleeping beauty- bumps -fishbrook  a classic, add - millman  - lapland - pike brook rd  epic
Tele turns are optional not mandatory.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Lake George is indeed a kick ass lake. I really wanted to rent an island there this year, I'll have to get on it earlier next summer!
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Some week days may still be available. September is still good for LG trips, water is still warm, some think it's the best time. I forget, but I think the island docks are still in the first weeks and I believe they don't care if you use them. Even though reservations/renting has ended by then you "may" be allowed to camp, can't recall.

That reserve America site they use sucks. Too hard to find what's available. Fortunately for me I don't need it.

We're on the islands very often. Some are much better than most. They're more enjoyable cause there's less waves and less boat noise. Many a-holes have very noisy boats. On busy days, on busy parts of the lake, they can be intrusive. Once north of the narrows the water can be calmer.

We go to islands where there are no waves, calm, clear water and very quiet, so quiet we can hear the birds all day. Many days spent there. It's wonderful.

No, I'll not identify them.

IMO, anybody living up here should have a good boat some time in their lives. We have SO much water, some of it most other boaters would kill to have near by.
Reply | Threaded
|

ml242
Snowballs, not sure I believe you here. I might need a tour at some point....
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Till then. This leap is about a mile north of Pilot Knob, east side, southern basin LG. If people are jumping, you'll see boats there close to shore and can motor over to watch or test your nerve. Me, I watch,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QRBemfJTXg

This calf's pen vid also includes some shots from West Dollar Is. as the shore is close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHNRhPSwDrY 

West Dollar island.... this one I do

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4INh2VwxBI

Log Bay days. I avoid it. But many enjoy the annual weekend of drunken bedlam there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH_O_w8aR8Q

West Dollar Island is a good island to spend the day at. It's pretty quiet. Close to the mainland on one side and sheltered by East Dollar island on the other it's water is calm. Plus there's the cliff jumping. BUT there's even better islands......

Islands have outhouses on them. So if you're out and need to .....