Shin Pain

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Shin Pain

highpeakskier
Anyone had it? I have it & my boots fit great. Was thinking of taping my shins for a few days until gone. Any suggestions?  I just got new liners (zipfit) but it doesnt help. I guess the just have to toughen uo.
nature gave us a brain, life gives us a mind. (little dog with Rockies Collegiate Peaks in backround)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Shin Pain

ausable skier
how many days have you skied this year?  how many in the new boots?

its pretty common to have your shins hurt early in the season - breaking in new boots its also expected

I had a friend get zippy fits and he hated them
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

highpeakskier
this is my second pair of zip fit liners. I love them. Far superior to any stock liner, wouldn't ski in anything else. I have a pair of intuitions and hate them. They're like skiing in a pair of sponges. I'm not a new skier. I've skied for the last 46 years. I have only started having shin pain since the end of last year, 79 ski days and the beginning of this year. I did some research and this is what I'm doing. Shaved my shins. Apply isopropyl alcohol daily. Taping shins with trainers pre wrap to protect them. I'll see if this works. I also read you can use tough skin spray to protect them. If this doesnt work I'll take the other course, start kicking a heavy bag. I only have in 4 days this year, usually have 4 days in in November but when your wife is diagnosed with cancer it's a game changer.
nature gave us a brain, life gives us a mind. (little dog with Rockies Collegiate Peaks in backround)
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I wish you and your wife the very best highpeakskier.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

ausable skier
In reply to this post by highpeakskier
highpeakskier wrote
 I only have in 4 days this year, usually have 4 days in in November but when your wife is diagnosed with cancer it's a game changer.
sorry to hear about your wife best of luck with her recovery

with only 4 days in its likely just a early season thing that will work its self out.  I get the early season shin issue which is my leg hair being ripped or worn away.  It goes away pretty quickly for me.  If anything it sounds like you may be doing too much and that is irating your skin

there are 3rd party tounge cushioners you can buy and might help.  

the other though i have is do you use your power strap or a booster strap.  With a regular power strap your shin can move and rub more against the boot tounge.  becuase a booster strap flexs it keeps the tounge in constant contact so it would chafe less.  The right way to use a booster is to put in on the liner of the boot not on the outer shell.  I see many people with it on the outside of the shell and that would not help you.  They also dramatically improve your skiing by giving you better boot leg contact.

http://www.boosterstrap.eu/brochures/inglese.pdf
A true measure of a person's intelligence is how much they agree with you.
Reply | Threaded
|

TomCat
Best wishes for a full recovery.

I had shin pain a few years ago and placed some additional padding on the sides of my shin (not directly over  the pain). This took some of the pressure off the bone. I used some fairly stiff rubber between the boot shell and the liner.

tom
Reply | Threaded
|

Cornhead
I hear Latino baseball players urinate on their hands to toughen them up. My shins were sore early in the season, 2,000 ft of corn at Whiteface after not skiing for eight months may have had something to do with that. Good luck, I've been experiencing twinges of pain out of my reconstructed knee, got me a little concerned.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
We're all sending positive vibes to your beautiful wife bro!  Hang in there.

I ride with Crazy Horse!
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
ScottyJack wrote
We're all sending positive vibes to your beautiful wife bro!  Hang in there.
+1
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
In reply to this post by Cornhead
Cornhead wrote
I hear Latino baseball players urinate on their hands to toughen them up.
this is what generated the fist pump, no one wanted to high five or shake hands with em! not sure what youre suggesting tho... i'd check my boot fit and look into the booster strap first!

sorry to hear about the wife, strength and hope to you both

Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Sore shins are usually from repeated banging of the shin against the boot tongue.  Your boots might be tight, but not as tight as you might want, or they are tight at the buckel location, not where they strike your shin.    You mention this has not happened before to you so its not your skiing or likely the conditions you were skiing on.    You know your body and I assume nothing drastically changed there.     The only thing that changed was your liners--to zip fits.    I too used a zip fits some years ago.  I found them to be thinner or less padded in the calve area.    While the boots may feel snug around your calve, maybe they are looser than the origional liner.    
---
Without seeing your stance, I would suggest trying some pads (some likely came with your boots) behind your calve...I have a set a Lange Comp 130s and mine velco into the boot on the rear.    Most people dont install these and they sit in the box.   Take a look.   If your stance is too far forward already, place them in front.   I have used duct tape in the past to hold them.  I have very thin legs and could not get the boot tight agains my leg no matter how tight I buckled...or strapped.    
---
If you feel your boot is good...spend $30.00 on a "Booster Strap"

http://masterfitenterprises.com/booster.html 

The Booster Strap will:  

Revitalize boots that have become sloppy with age

Elastically bond boot to leg

Provide better response without excesive buckle tension

Eliminate upper cuff looseness
Reduce shin bang