Shops that Rent Touring Gear?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Shops that Rent Touring Gear?

Brownski
Any out there?  I don’t need myself but a blog post from 2017 just got a comment asking the question

https://nyskiblog.com/new-direction-uphill-skiing/#comments

He is looking for the metro area but that’s probably gonna be tough. Anybody have suggestions anywhere in the region? The only resort I can think of that rents AT gear is Bolton Valley

https://www.boltonvalley.com/the-mountain/nordic-and-backcountry/rentals-nordic 

Plattekill rents Tele gear I think but couldn’t find the link.

Anybody have suggestions?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Shops that Rent Touring Gear?

Marcski
Base Camp Outfitters in Killington rents both Tele and AT gear:

https://basecampvt.com/
Reply | Threaded
|

gefiltephish
Magic was selling AT rental gear from last season... so I assume they will rent AT gear again. Super uphill-friendly resort, you get a free lift token for every uphill lap you take!!

Bolton valley has an extensive backcountry program, I have to imagine they'd have AT and splitboard rentals, and cool terrain to use it!!

Ski the Whites is a touring specific rental and guiding outfit with their base at Black Mountain NH. They host a 'Friday Night Lights' uphill series on Black Mtn. Wish I were closer, they're doing great things it seems.

The manager of Potter Brothers Jiminy Peak location was talking about hosting before/after hours AT events at Jiminy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Thehof
check out Rock& Snow in New Paltz. I know they have XC and Hoks to rent as well as a bunch of other stuff. cool store to just visit also.
cheers
"No Falls=No Bslls
Reply | Threaded
|

Saratogahalfday
In reply to this post by gefiltephish
I spoke with a K2 rep who wandered over to Magic this weekend from the trade show at Stratton.  He said the next thing coming are bindings you can use to both skin and downhill ski, meaning no more separate touring gear and downhill gear.    
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The “next thing”?  

That seems like a silly statement.  

First, gear you can use to ‘skin up and then downhill ski on’ is nothing new (obviously).  Second, the more downhill ‘capable’ Shift/Duke PT/Pindung(?) is not the next thing, it’s the current thing.

There are currently touring bindings available with downhill capability that have changed the discussion regarding touring gear.  Yes, more options (the Duke PT and Pindung) need to make it to market, and the price needs to (hopefully) come down.  But the tech is the here and now, not the next thing.

If he was implying that bindings in the future will all be universal (i.e. offer uphill and downhill capability, with no need for skiers in general to choose between touring and downhill gear) I don’t see that happening.

We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
In reply to this post by Saratogahalfday
Saratogahalfday wrote
I spoke with a K2 rep who wandered over to Magic this weekend from the trade show at Stratton.  He said the next thing coming are bindings you can use to both skin and downhill ski, meaning no more separate touring gear and downhill gear.
This reads like a post from someone who doesn't know anything about AT bindings.