classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sir Sam's Slarve-O-Rama 1/18/12

Sick Bird Rider
This post was updated on .
We got a little snow in the Hinterlands last night. So much so, that the plow did not even make it down our road before I left to pick up Telemark Dave this morning.

The trouble with going skiing on snow days is that you have to deal with snowplows and sketchy driving conditions.

The nice thing about driving around in the early morning on snow days is that you are often rewarded with some pretty nice views.

As a result, we got to the hill a little after opening and had to deal with the crowds.

Are these the fattest skis to ride the magic carpet? Actually, the cold temps made the nubbins a little slippery and our magic carpet ride was kind of interesting.

A little south of SBRHQ, Sir Sam's did not get quite as much snow and the enthusiastic groomers had mashed most of it into corduroy. Nevertheless, a fun day was had, slarving and carving the rockered skis through a variety of conditions. They don't seem to mind what kind of snow you are skiing on. Groomer to crusty mank? Whatever, it's snow, lets turn. The views were pretty nice too.

One of the highlights of the day was when TD finally pulled out his new Elan Boomerangs, mounted tele, for the first time. These bad boys make my SFBs look positively skinny. After a run or so, TD seemed to bond with the skis, and become one with the slarve-carve. I'll let him fill in the details.

All in all, a great day on lovely snow. The other best part was that we seemed to be skiing with all the retired folks, so felt positively youthful, despite our own grey hair. Dave knew one of the guys - still skiing at 82. One can only hope.

Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sir Sam's Slarve-O-Rama 1/18/12

Harvey
Administrator
Mmmm nubbins.

It really is paradise up there isn't it?

Except for the groomers, they need to get with the program!
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
OK then.

Props to S.B.R. for the invitation, ride and company yesterday.

Pretty much a typical road trip to Sir Sam's....and a typical mid-week ski day.

One of the highlights was the drive over. S.B.R. showed up at my place fully caffeinated.
Z.Z. Top was turned up to 11.

Then we got stuck behind this.

S.B.R. was probably wishing he had a WRX version of his Subie.
I was glad he didn`t.

Grooming? Who knows why.  There was a nice dense 4" of cream cheese on top anywhere that had been spared. It skied silently and softly.

Slarving....well yes, kindof.  More like a controlled drift. The Boomerangs were extreme overkill, but eye opening. They skied best at speed in the gnar, crud and cream cheese. The rockered tips flapped in the breeze when warped on groomers. I can`t wait to take them where they belong.

Please Ullr, send more snow.

Thanks again, S.B.R.

"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey44 wrote
It really is paradise up there isn't it?
Well, the snow is always deeper on the other side of the fence, isn't it? It is pretty nice up here but in my personal paradise, there will be more than 350 feet of vert.

Telemark Dave wrote
One of the highlights was the drive over. S.B.R. showed up at my place fully caffeinated.
Z.Z. Top was turned up to 11.

Then we got stuck behind this.

S.B.R. was probably wishing he had a WRX version of his Subie.
It would be a bad idea for SBR and Blue Toes to have a WRX. It would be like having our own personalized printer for speeding tickets.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Sick Bird Rider wrote
It would be a bad idea for SBR and Blue Toes to have a WRX. It would be like having our own personalized printer for speeding tickets.
That's what I said...

"I was glad he didn't. "

"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Oh yea .... Slarve?  Wiki was down when I looked, and I need something official.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
^^ Slarving seems to be somewhere between sliding and carving, an inherent quality of turning on fatter, rockered skis. There are other definitions, don't believe them.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Slarve?

Well, to be frank, Harvey, on groomers, "slarving" = skidding.
There. I said it.

Actually, a blend of skidding, drifting, and slipping.  
I can totally get that once the skiing becomes 3d, then real slarving is going to happen.
Full report soon. (hopefully).

What I can report right right now is that slarving occurred on the drive home.
Subies slarve.

T. D.
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Telemark Dave wrote
Actually, a blend of skidding, drifting, and slipping.  
I can totally get that once the skiing becomes 3d, then real slarving is going to happen.
Full report soon. (hopefully).

What I can report right right now is that slarving occurred on the drive home.
Subies slarve.

T. D.

I was about to respond, saying slarving sounds like fun in the WRX. Didn't notice that ya beat me too it until I was typing!

OT - I really want to get an EJ205 (02-05 WRX engine) into a 2nd gen outback shell.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
fujative wrote
OT - I really want to get an EJ205 (02-05 WRX engine) into a 2nd gen outback shell.
Thread slarve: maybe that would be Harv's ultimate ski car. The Harv Slarv.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy

BTW, great report and very nice pics of the Hinterlandian Kingdom  SBR
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
Thanks, WD. It's not quite Tremblant but it is close to home and we never have any problem having fun.
Reply | Threaded
|

warp daddy
I'm with you on that fun factor SBR , whenever "The Queen of the Hop" goes to a certain mall about an hr away I hit the local speed bump there also about 350 vert .  I hit it for about 3 hrs then we meet for dinner  we both have fun !!

For me a season pass there is FREE and it has reciprocals with 2 nice midsize mtns  Snow Ridge and McCauley

Cheers Bro--------------------BTW send us some of that fine Canadian clipper stuff !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Life ain't a dress rehearsal: Spread enthusiasm , avoid negative nuts.