classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
32 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sirius XM, Anyone Have It?

Harvey
Administrator
New CRV came with 90 days of free Sirius XM.  I didn't use it, I guess cheap me figured I've never had it, never even thought about it, why risk getting hooked.

But the new car doesn't have a CD player (technology too old I guess). I used to rely on about 20 CDs for tunes in the mountains where radio selections are minimal and my (Verizon) phone has very limited service so I can't use YouTube for tunes.

Zelda was using the car one day last week (she's not skiing yet, post-op) and when she picked me up she was listening to some great tunes. Me: "hmmm you using the Sirius?"  She: "yea I really like it."

So it works in the mountains, the sound seems better than regular radio, no commercials obviously. I'm thinking of going for it, even though I'll probably never use it in summer.

The version they give you free is limited, like 10 channels. I think the full version is $15 a month.

Anyone have it, use it, like it, wish they never signed up?  Free trial ends next week, trying to make a decision.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sirius XM, Anyone Have It?

Joneski73
I’ve had it for close to 10 years now.  I got hooked on it from my free trial when I purchased my truck.  I never listen to regular radio anymore.  I pay quarterly, although you may get a better deal if you buy a whole year upfront.
Ski the snow on the ground, not the date on the calendar. - Glenn Plake
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
The Jeep came with the 90 day trial, which we used some, but not a ton.  We let the free trial expire.  Once we started doing longer drives with the Jeep to ski country and the Cape we realized we really missed it.  Signed back up, and we use it quite a lot.  It’s good, and worth the money IMHO.
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
Anyone have it, use it, like it, wish they never signed up?  Free trial ends next week, trying to make a decision.
I had it at one point, really enjoyed it, but let it go as an unnecessary expense. I spend A LOT of time in my car. The focused music channels are nice and having the TV news channels is really helpful. News stations are so repetitive that having additional channels to flip through is great. On the other hand, it is often blocked by bridges, trees and severe weather and you have lived half a century without it so you can probably continue to do so. I’m sure your new car has a USB port. Why not load up your CDs on an iPod or a tablet and just let it shuffle?
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
Brownski wrote
Harvey wrote
I had it at one point, really enjoyed it, but let it go as an unnecessary expense. I spend A LOT of time in my car. The focused music channels are nice and having the TV news channels is really helpful. News stations are so repetitive that having additional channels to flip through is great. On the other hand, it is often blocked by bridges, trees and severe weather and you have lived half a century without it so you can probably continue to do so. I’m sure your new car has a USB port. Why not load up your CDs on an iPod or a tablet and just let it shuffle?
On the other hand, I have to admit that every time they run the free two week trial I use it a lot
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
Had it for about a year after free trial in 2015 then cancelled.   Experienced the challenges in the valleys of the ADKs.  However, Fall 2017 (3 months ago) turned it back on, as they offered six months for like $30 ($5 a month if paid up front).   Happy with it again, do not listen to news or sports, just music, and noticed during multiple trips through SW dacks to Gore, and also a couple LP/WF trips, do not have the issue of blocked signals.  

Same vehicle and radio so they must have made positive changes (listen up Verizon) and I will definitely keep, even when back to the $12 or $15 per month. Does FM still exist?  Kinda like Netflix, no more ads ever for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I hadn't thought about the terrain blocking. Does the weather affect it?
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
If anything, cold clear would improve it.  Was not cold in the positive examples above.  Definitely cold clear improves cell service (vs XM satellite).   Have a full bar during this -20 weather when normally no service here in my valley.  So cell service yes, satellite, not sure if weather impacts.  Great XM improvement again terrain not impacting anymore (although in city buildings will, similar to GPS on an iphone map
Reply | Threaded
|

marznc
Have had it in the minivan since 2008.  We got a deal on a subscription good as long as we keep the vehicle.  It has 245,000 miles and still going strong.  Use it on long drives (200-600 miles in a day), especially when driving in the mountains.  Rarely lose the signal even heading to Lake Placid.

I have a few channels programmed and rarely listen to anything else.  Listen to the old time radio shows the most.

My husband just did a deal to add it to his car for 3 years.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Zelda was like ... "ok Mr Cheap what are you saving your money for? You spend a lot of time in the car in winter, go for it!"

Welp it's my birthday (more or less :) so I sprung for Mostly Music, $13 including tax.  Very pumped got a lot of driving in front of me the next 2 days!  I'll be hummin when I get out of the car at Platty tomorrow at 8am.

Thanks for all the input, you guys/gal sold me on it.
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
I think you'll like it.  I've had it for 12 years now.  Even though it's part of the car radio, I have the after market car kit so I use it at work, etc.
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Yep, you'll be glad you have it

it's turned on in every truck I drive
Reply | Threaded
|

x10003q
I have had for 6 years. It is great.
Reply | Threaded
|

K man
I've had "mostly music" for years too. Love it.
Avitar=Left Gully, Tuckerman Ravine
No Fat Chicks, Just Fat Skis
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
I got it when Howard Stern signed on (2004? 2005?), listened for 10 years, cancelled it about a year and a half ago because I didn't like paying money for radio.

The channels I listened to most (Howard, the two partisan talk channels, NPR, Comedy, CNBC, etc.) had commercials anyway, so I didn't miss much there.

The music channels were good, I guess (I liked Spectrum, Backspin, The Joint, Alt Nation), but $15.99 a month wasn't really worth it to me. Now I listen to local stations: NPR, EQX and The Buzz up north. I use Pandora through Bluetooth if I want to hear different stuff. I don't really miss Sirius. I guess it was nice to listen to Howard and get every football game. Other than that, meh.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
I got in 2006 when Stern switched over..
 pay 118 year ...for the whole shebang...
I just listen to Stern and a couple of music stations..when Stern leaves so will I..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I do a lot of driving, and yesterday it was great to have on the long haul home from McCauley. Maybe a waste for me in summer, I have a lot of north country utilities that fall into that category.

What channels do you guys like? I've been listening to Classic Vinyl mostly.
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx
stern
classic vinyl
beatles
ozzy's boneyard
hair band metal
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

green light
Deep Tracks
Jam On
Margaritaville
Prime Country
Siriously Sinatra
its a beautiful thing
Reply | Threaded
|

D.B. Cooper
In reply to this post by JasonWx
Shocker, given your signature.  "Hello hello."
Sent from the driver's seat of my car while in motion.