Anybody attend this?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ski Bowl future

skimore
Petronio wrote
Anybody attend this?

Quite the informative notice. Were they discussing possible hotdog eating contest
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Petronio
Would be interesting to hear what they said. It's all kinda tentative down there.... not exactly busy.

Dad should be able to get the scoop from MP.
Reply | Threaded
|

green light
Read about it in the Post Star. Quite interesting.
its a beautiful thing
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by Petronio
I thought it had something to do with upgrades for nordic events.  Not sure about that.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
I heard they were planning a high speed bubble quad, 1000% more snow making so they will be 100% open by Christmas all because some kid in NJ said it should be so... Oh - and a waffle hut.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
100% by Christmas! No exceptions!
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
At end of February, I went to the Ski Bowl for a cross-country race on the tubing hill. A fun loop, with a couple of beyond technical corners. Had an interesting convo with someone about this very topic. A more serious xc trail at Gore... possibly with snowmaking.

http://poststar.com/business/local/gore-eyes-ski-bowl-growth/article_fe52379b-8267-5abf-8c06-b3b28bcce557.html
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I think it makes a lot of sense to make the Ski Bowl a nordic venue. Much of the infrastructure is there including huge pumping capacity, parking, and lodge and it's close to town.  You need guns and pipe. Making snow for nordic ... it takes much less snow.  Save our boy Pete some driving too.

On the down side it could hurt some private competitors.  Maybe.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Ok maybe this will work. Is there a sizeable xc race crowd to be attracted ? Peter ?

Would be cool if it took off.
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
I was in attendance, basically Gore needs to amend their contract with the town to run summer operations i.e.slip line and scenic rides up the 46er lift. Winter opt only need permission from the town to expand the XC route which may conflict with the existing cross country bike trails. Attendance was good considering small town, many good questions , support from the business community. My feeling is that the Nordic expansion is a go and the summer opts are an almost.
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Peter Minde wrote
. A more serious xc trail at Gore
Oh, just like they used to have a little further up the hill
Reply | Threaded
|

BRLKED
Yes a more serious Nordic Ski trail. FIS homologated, able to attract a more diverse population of local and national skier.It's all about heads in beds.
Reply | Threaded
|

endoftheline
In reply to this post by skimore
<quote author="skimore">
Peter Minde wrote
. A more serious xc trail at Gore
Oh, just like they used to have a little further up the hill  

I thought Gore was mostly a Nordic area anyway, sure seems that way, especially on a snowboard.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
 ZINGO
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
@ Snowballs Gore hosted several scholastic and some JNQ xc races on their tubing hill this winter due to the snow drought which caused race cancellations all over NY and elsewhere in the northeast.  If Gore did it right: an FIS homologated trail with snowmaking, it would be a big boost to the racing community in this part of NY.  The other venues in the area don't have snowmaking and - except for Garnet Hill -  are lower elevation than the Snow Bowl.

Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
Wow the powers that be must be reading this board and taking in all of our good ideas. The article from the Post Star confirms the tubing hill is RIP. That is a real bummer. I thought it actually did OK and loved taking the kids there a time or two each year. I guess we will have to do that at West Mountain now. Overall I think the nordic races are a much better use of the facility. Running the hudson chair for sightseeing and mountain biking brings some really cool possibilities too. More music festivals would be great too IMO.

Are there still thoughts/plans to have the entrance to the ski bowl reconfigured to align with 28N?
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
The scuttlebutt that I heard was, that the tubing hill wasn't utilized [for tubing] as much as it might have been.  That was apparently taken into consideration when they decided to hold xc races there.  This is third hand; haven't been able to confirm.