Ski Length

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ski Length

Highpeaksdrifter

Are you a short skis suck, long skis truck type of guy or do you like shorter skis and think guys who ski long are trying to compensate for another short coming.

A person can drive themselves nuts with height, weight, ability, terrain, snow conditions, turn style, etc. Also if you’re buying rockered skis (if you’re not now you will) contact points have to be taken into consideration.

For me it just boils down to how you feel on them. Last Oct. I knew I wanted the Nordica Firearrow 84, but was having a hard time deciding between 168 and 176. BTW…I’m 5’8”…180…and can still get down the hill pretty good for an old fella. They where a new model last season and I was not able to make it to a spring demo 2011 for the next seasons gear. Anyway I went with the 168 and liked them very much. Even at that length they never felt like they had a speed limit. I tried my buddies FA84s in 178. I had to work the turn harder, but they just felt better to me, especially when I was skiing fast. I kept them until the end of Feb. then I sold them and got the same ski in 176. I’m happier now, but not sure why because they are a lot of fun for me at either length, just in slightly different ways. Maybe it’s just mental. BTW…I’m not a very particular type of person, I’m more a whatever type of guy when it comes to the beer I drink, the clothes I wear, the bike I ride, etc. When it comes to skis for some reason I drive myself a little crazy…I want things to be just so.

The guy I sold the 168’s to is 6’2” and about 230. He’s a solid intermediate skier, very moderate speeds. He tried them for ½ a day, loved them…sold.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ski Length

campgottagopee
This post was updated on .
For me it's all about what feels the best. My skis have always been on the longish side, back in my hayday I skied the Atomic Yellow Sleds in a 210, loved that ski. I've tried shorter skis (172) and really didn't care for them at all, found myself looking for the ski to finish, but all it would do is wash out on me, prolly do to L.O.F.T. That said, on a longer ski I can feel the entire ski thru  the turn and like the way it finishes for me. Don't get that washed out skiddy feeling that I get on some of the shorter skis I've tried.
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
 errrr don't know anymore - radius and cam/rock sorta muddy that water. guess i'm in the middle of the road for cruisin around most days on groomed manmade on a traditional cambered/early rise all mountain 16ish r and GS/cheater skis  - 177/180 (6'/215#) keeps 'em easy to handle throught the bumps and trees
SL skis are 165's at 13ish r - but need to be in a turn ALL the time though, only come out for race night/training
had my finger hovering over the enter button for the nordica blem h&b's in a 185 or 186 to accomodate for the rocker
if my powder days ever exceeded a day or 2 over 12" and needed a pow ski i'd prolly go low 190's
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Highpeaksdrifter
Highpeaksdrifter wrote

The guy I sold the 168’s to is 6’2” and about 230. He’s a solid intermediate skier, very moderate speeds. He tried them for ½ a day, loved them…sold.
 That much mass should be on something considerably longer