Ski Wax

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Ski Wax

Peter Minde
@ tBatt I'm into cross country ski racing.  95% of the time I'm on hydrocarbon wax.  I don't get crazy about high tech wax application unless there's a race.  I'll use low fluoro glide wax in warm spring conditions, just for the dirt and water repellency.  But that stuff is just too much $$ to use on a regular basis.

@ Telemark Dave  Back in the day we had Jackrabbit red and blue kick waxes.  Lotta pine tar in there.  Wonderful stuff.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
If your skiing tomorrow, put on the coldest wax you can find. I have an old block of Holmenkal green in my wax box.
I might just stoke the stove and read a book.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
PeeTex wrote
If your skiing tomorrow, put on the coldest wax you can find. I have an old block of Holmenkal green in my wax box.
Back when I was alpine racing at university, one of my teammates came from Labrador City.. He was stoked about skiing in the "South" because he could actually wax ... Apparently the snow there was so cold and dry that a bare base was faster than any wax...
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
Telemark Dave wrote
PeeTex wrote
Back when I was alpine racing at university, one of my teammates came from Labrador City.. He was stoked about skiing in the "South" because he could actually wax ... Apparently the snow there was so cold and dry that a bare base was faster than any wax...
Dave - I think that green wax is so hard you can use it to fill in the gouges in your skis if you run out of P-Tex.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
PeeTex wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
PeeTex wrote
Dave - I think that green wax is so hard you can use it to fill in the gouges in your skis if you run out of P-Tex.
Almost...
It's a pretty commonly used wax in these parts.   I have Swix CH and LF green glide, as well as Start, and  Vauhti green.
Also some Swix Polar Glide - even harder.  Easiest way to check between brands  is a scratch test, just like for mineral hardness.  The biggest debate isn't which green wax, but whether or not to scrape it warm or let it cool - then it chips off when scraped.  Eye protection is a must!
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
 if you run out of P-Tex.
When is that gonna happen ?
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote
PeeTex wrote
Telemark Dave wrote
PeeTex wrote
Almost...
It's a pretty commonly used wax in these parts.   I have Swix CH and LF green glide, as well as Start, and  Vauhti green.
Also some Swix Polar Glide - even harder.  Easiest way to check between brands  is a scratch test, just like for mineral hardness.  The biggest debate isn't which green wax, but whether or not to scrape it warm or let it cool - then it chips off when scraped.  Eye protection is a must!
Got a couple cold condition powders in the box that specifically say "scrape when still warm," otherwise I let everything cool before scraping.  Also worthwhile applying multiple layers of green to harden the base.  Psyched to break out Swix Polar this weekend,
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Snowballs
Snowballs wrote
PeeTex wrote
 if you run out of P-Tex.
I ordered a dozen sticks in December, already used 2. Took a few more hits today but will wait a little longer to do base repair. I think I will have enough for this season and next, but will need to re-order after that.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Peter Minde wrote

Got a couple cold condition powders in the box that specifically say "scrape when still warm," otherwise I let everything cool before scraping.  Also worthwhile applying multiple layers of green to harden the base.  Psyched to break out Swix Polar this weekend,
I will set the skis out on the snow after a wax. Let the bases get to snow temp and then scrape. I made up a bunch of 8mm scrapers a few years back. After they dull out I run them over the jointer to freshen them up. That cold temp wax, when it is at cold temp is a bitch to scrape.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Ok guys, we're hexing ourselves with all this green wax chitchat .. The forecast looks like another polar air mass will be settling in by Sat evening.. -25c then -30c Sun PM.  Any Nordic skiing will obviously be Classic, Skating is no fun when the glide is minimal..
On the flip side, the existing backcountry conditions will remain freakin' amazing.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
Snowballs wrote
PeeTex wrote
 if you run out of P-Tex.
I ordered a dozen sticks in December, already used 2. Took a few more hits today but will wait a little longer to do base repair. I think I will have enough for this season and next, but will need to re-order after that.
Uh, not exactly the PeeTex I was referring to.