Ski Wax

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
31 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ski Wax

Spongeworthy
I've been tuning my skis for 12+ years and have been using Swix universal hydrocarbon wax for the last 3 years.

No complaints, but does anyone have a recommendation for something that might be better?
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ski Wax

PeeTex
Dominator Zoom
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
In reply to this post by Spongeworthy
A special blend of leftovers from 40 years of waxing skis.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

BigK75
I personally buy my wax from racewax.com which I have found to have great prices.  I find the wax good until the temperatures get below -20 celcius and then all bets are off :)
Reply | Threaded
|

gorgonzola
+1 for racewax.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Similar to SBR.  Oh, and shouldn't Ski Wax be taken out of the "woodstove" and moved to "gear"?  It's going to melt regardless of the brand...

TD
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I have been using this for quite a few years now.  I find it does a great job for a universal wax in a variety of conditions. If its super cold, I can add some powders.

Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
I've switched to Hertel Super Hot Sauce. Seems good in all temps. I hate scraping, so the best thing for me is how easy it is to scrape or brush off. This is a very user-friendly wax.

Harv, please move this if apropos.
Reply | Threaded
|

greif
I find Swix LF waxes noticeably better than the plain hydrocarbon wax.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
I've been using wax from Hertel for 15+ years. Hertel Super Hotsauce will meet most people' speeds. I use the Hotsauce for the initial wax layer following a stone grind and then maintain using their race wax. It's reasonably priced and I find it more durable than Swix. They also offer an excellent set of waxing instructions. Hertelskiwax.com
I know they sell in some retail stores, but I've never seen it yet. I always buy direct. Fast delivery.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by greif
When the snow is dirty, or there's a lot of humidity, any fluorinated wax will work better than hydrocarbon.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
Peter Minde wrote
When the snow is dirty, or there's a lot of humidity, any fluorinated wax will work better than hydrocarbon.
But the hydrocarbon wax won't shorten your life:

http://sports.espn.go.com/action/freeskiing/news/story?id=6042035
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
Spongeworthy wrote
I've been tuning my skis for 12+ years and have been using Swix universal hydrocarbon wax for the last 3 years.

No complaints, but does anyone have a recommendation for something that might be better?

I don't mean to hijack, but how did you learn to tune your skis?  I am assuming you mean sharpening and wax.  I am curious because it would be good to learn but I am not sure how to learn.  I know waxing is more straightforward.  Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
This post was updated on .
Spongeworthy wrote
Peter Minde wrote
But the hydrocarbon wax won't shorten your life:

http://sports.espn.go.com/action/freeskiing/news/story?id=6042035
Maybe 4 times a year I'll apply pure fluorocarbon powder and high fluor glide wax, and I use a mask.  World Cup wax techs work on way more skis than you or me, and they have some serious breathing apparatus.  Check the video below, at around 3:20.

I've heard that on the xc circuit at least, there are concerns that many venues don't offer ski prep areas with adequate ventilation.  That's definitely an issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV4xanCNPXU

<nabble_embed>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yV4xanCNPXU</nabble_embed>

Anyway, you gotta die of something.
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Back in the gold rush days in the Sierra Nevada, the transplanted Norwegians introduced skiing as a way to both travel and compete in the winter... Skis were long, as in 10-12 feet, and races went straight downhill.  Just like now, the need for fast skis led to specially formulated recipes for wax... But it wasn't called wax.. It was Dope....
...and the guys who concocted it?

Dopers.  
"there is great chaos under heaven, and the situation is excellent" Disclaimer: Telemark Dave is a Hinterlandian. He is not from New York State, and in fact, doesn't even ski there very often. He is also obsessive-compulsive about Voile Charger BC's.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by DomB
DomB wrote
I don't mean to hijack, but how did you learn to tune your skis?  I am assuming you mean sharpening and wax.  I am curious because it would be good to learn but I am not sure how to learn.  I know waxing is more straightforward.  Thanks!
Check out this collection of videos, it can be as complicated as you like but the key is a good bench, ski vise and quality tools: http://www.tokous.com/Video%20Index.htm

Also, check out the catalog at Artechski, they have a great selection of tools. http://www.artechski.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA3bymBRC19IrD7O_NrYsBEiQAb2dpA58NeS2HoWWScEpSEgcdhZDWM5VXuEzNrE9gh6lsPRkaArun8P8HAQ
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by Telemark Dave
Telemark Dave wrote
Back in the gold rush days in the Sierra Nevada, the transplanted Norwegians introduced skiing as a way to both travel and compete in the winter... Skis were long, as in 10-12 feet, and races went straight downhill.  Just like now, the need for fast skis led to specially formulated recipes for wax... But it wasn't called wax.. It was Dope....

Dopers.  
Good job Telemark Dave, I'd forgotten about that!
Reply | Threaded
|

Telemark Dave
Peter Minde wrote
Telemark Dave wrote

Dopers.  
Good job Telemark Dave, I'd forgotten about that!
Thanks Peter.  Bit of a thread drift, but also a bit of levity... Just in case there's been too much fluorocarbon inhalation..
Along the same current.. SBR has a cherished bit of 70's nostalgia - some "Jackrabbit" dry and wet grip wax.  It could easily be mistaken for blond/black hashish on appearance alone, though it has a vague pine tar type odor.
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by PeeTex
PeeTex wrote
DomB wrote
Check out this collection of videos, it can be as complicated as you like but the key is a good bench, ski vise and quality tools: http://www.tokous.com/Video%20Index.htm

Also, check out the catalog at Artechski, they have a great selection of tools. http://www.artechski.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQiA3bymBRC19IrD7O_NrYsBEiQAb2dpA58NeS2HoWWScEpSEgcdhZDWM5VXuEzNrE9gh6lsPRkaArun8P8HAQ
Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
You guys all racing or something?
I just get a universal wax to keep the bases saturated. I'm not looking to shave .3 seconds off my time for the next gondi lap.

I've been using Boardside Down wax for a few years now. $12 for a half pound (225g) as opposed to Swix's $20 for 180g of CH7.