classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
ck1
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Ski shop recommendations

ck1
Maybe this post should be in the Gear X folder. Can people recommend their favorite ski shop for tune-ups in lower NY area - Hudson Valley, Catskills, even NYC? I have a pair of skis that are really banged up (a few core shots under foot).

Thanks,
Chris
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Ski shop recommendations

Benny Profane
Seriously, my favorite shop right now are the Gore tuners. Incredibly convenient. I haven't handed them a core shot yet, but, for simple stuff, I have been very happy, and, the price is right. I had two pair done a few weeks ago, and it was about 50 bucks. But, more important, I did it while I was skiing. (of course, this won't work if you only have one pair) They work fast, too. They promised the second tune, which I dropped off around 1pm, in 20 minutes. I said, hey, no whoop, taking like three runs anyway.
Also, they tune for the obvious conditions right outside their door, instead of some mythical conditions some dude in Westchester might imagine are existent up north.

Tip them well. They deserve it. Cheerful service, too.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Danzilla
I agree with Benny on this. Gore shop does wonders and if you need it quick they will do it quick - even if you have a core shot. They do binding work too. Good stuff. Make sure you tell them if you are a pass holder. You can drop off on your way in. Go get booted up and grab a breakfast sandwich and your sticks will be ready.
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
Uhm, I'm sure Gore's shop is excellent, however, it ain't near "lower NY area - Hudson Valley, Catskills, even NYC?".

Sorry but I don't know the area your looking in.
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Well, I assume this person is going to go ski upstate somewhere, right?
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by ck1
ck1 wrote
Maybe this post should be in the Gear X folder. Can people recommend their favorite ski shop for tune-ups in lower NY area - Hudson Valley, Catskills, even NYC?
Sounds from his post that ck1 lives downstate and skis the Catskills.

What does anyone think of Potter Brothers?

I had one tune at Plattekill and I thought it was solid.

"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
Benny Profane wrote
Well, I assume this person is going to go ski upstate somewhere, right?
No clue --- Ass-U-Me
ck1
Reply | Threaded
|

ck1
Thanks for the recommendations all. I am embarrassed to admit that after skiing in NY for 30 years, I have never been to Gore. It's been on my list for a long time and somehow the stars have just not aligned. Knowing that I can get the quiver overhauled while exploring this mountain I have heard so much about makes it even more enticing.

I think I will try Plattekill though in the interim. I am heading there this weekend for some pregame turns.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
ck1 wrote
I have never been to Gore.

A little diversity is a good thing.

Certainly seems like if anyone has experience with core shots it would be the Plattekill shop.

Tell em NYSB sent ya.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
ck1
Reply | Threaded
|

ck1
Will do. I'll report back next week. Thanks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skidds
I prefer Ski Haus to Potter Brothers in the Fishkill/Poughkeepsie area.  Ski Haus is generally more knowledgable, and does all work on site.  Not sure if they do it anymore, but Potter Bros used to send more extensive work to their Kingston store.
Reply | Threaded
|

ScottyJack
In reply to this post by Benny Profane
you know what they say about assume....  ASS!
I ride with Crazy Horse!
ck1
Reply | Threaded
|

ck1
In reply to this post by Skidds
Thanks. Yeah, I forgot about Ski Haus. I might try them if they are unable to accommodate me at Plattekill. Last time I tried (2 years ago) Potter Bros was still sending stuff to Kingston and they said they could not work on my skis for legal reasons because the edge was cracked. A nice guy in Lake Tahoe was up for the challenge though and got the boards into skiable shape.

Thanks