classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
jtp
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

SkiTune/Wax NYC Area

jtp
Hi, I live in NYC.  If you do, you know it's horrible for ski equipment and tuning.  I usually do all that at the mountain.  I am heading up to sugarbush in a few weeks and I am going to leave on Thursday, I will be getting there late most likely.  My skis need a tune anyway, and I was thinking of hitting MRG on Friday (when no one's there).  I think I'd like to get them tuned before I hit MRG, so I think I need to bite the bullet and look for a tune in NYC or the surrounding area - I have a car.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

J.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: SkiTune/Wax NYC Area

Thehof
Sno Haus. It's in Hempstead right outside Garden City on Franklin Ave.
That's where I've been going for like 30 years. See Ivan. Call ahead and maybe
They can do it while you wait and shop of course. It maybe to far , but that's
My two cents.
"No Falls=No Bslls
jtp
Reply | Threaded
|

jtp
Hey thanks, that is a little bit of a hike, but good to know.  I called the ski shop at Mad River Glen and had a really "bra" like conversation with one of the guys.  They said they can usually do it in the morning before the lifts open, but couldn't promise, but since it's Friday morning, there was a good shot.  It looks like we're going to be leaving earlier now anyway.  But this is good to know in case  I do need to ever get a tune here.  The City just sucks for it.

I heard about some place in Brooklyn that's decent, can't recall the name.

Anyway, I'll be in the market for some new boots soon, maybe before the Steamboat trip.

Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
There's a place out near Paramus (Ski Barn) on Route 17 -- kind of an easy drive over the GWB.  Also an REI in Yonkers as well as in Teaneck.  Full disclosure, have not used either.  I have used Ski Haus in Poughkeepsie, and their main shop is in Brewster -- they do okay work.

Petonio
Reply | Threaded
|

Brownski
I've used Ski Barn. They are competent. An added benefit is that the route from NYC will take you past the Campmor store (also on rt 17 in Paramus).
"You want your skis? Go get 'em!" -W. Miller
Reply | Threaded
|

DomB
In reply to this post by jtp
I forget the name of the store, but it is on a main strip in Bay Ridge.  I want to say 5th avenue.  That is toward the southwest tip of Brooklyn, so I don't know how convenient it is.  When I was in the city I did my tunes there and it was fine.   It was within a 5 minute drive of Bay Ridge Honda if that helps narrow it down.