Skier dies at Hunter

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
26 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skier dies at Hunter

snoloco
No real sustained steeps at Belleayre, or anything even the pitch of the Tower 10 hill, but a good intermediates mountain and an easy step up to skiing black rated terrain.  Wanatuska is a very easy trail to me regardless of whether I'm skiing or riding.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

evantful
In reply to this post by Lateski
I suspect Belleayre's blacks can lure some people in, due to their relatively short run and the skating needed to get to the summit blue trails, that get people in over their head. One wrong accelerating turn and a hard hit with a tree awaits.

It does seem like a few more stories this year, but then again last year visits were down so much that accidents would be down quite a bit too.
Reply | Threaded
|

Petronio
Reply | Threaded
|

campgottagopee
In reply to this post by Lateski
Lateski wrote
There is some kind of freaky thing going on around the slopes this season.  I was stunned to learn a snowboarder was killed instantly after an accident at Belleayre on Wanatuska a few weeks ago, it's a pretty mild black run.  Goes to show, it can go very bad no matter what the terrain.
Agree. At Greek 2 guys I know have been seriously injured from what would seem as an everyday fall. One guy broken collar bone, ribs and punctured lung. He caught an edge or something. Another guy got tangled up getting off the quad and took a headed. He's now in a nursing home, can't talk and his right side is completely paralyzed.  Ugh.
Reply | Threaded
|

dmc_hunter
Inherent risk....  It's something that makes skiing and snowboarding fun..

deal...
Reply | Threaded
|

louie.mirags
In reply to this post by Petronio
These stories always leave me wanting to know more specifics so we can all learn something from the tragedy.