Skier's death at Whiteface draws scrutiny from NYS

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Skier's death at Whiteface draws scrutiny from NYS

Saratogahalfday
State Police say their detectives are investigating the death last week of a skier at Whiteface Mountain in Wilmington.

Nicholas Koch, 21, died Dec. 23, after, troopers said, he went off a trail on the Adirondack Mountain's ski resort and struck a group of trees.

The Danville, Penn., man's death is being investigated by the State Police's Bureau of Criminal Investigation. State Police announced the investigation on Tuesday.

Troopers said Koch was at the mountain with his family, troopers said.

He was taken to the University of Vermont Health Care Center in Burlington and died there from his injuries.

State Police are searching for witnesses to the crash and say anyone with information can call them at (518) 873-2750.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Skier's death at Whiteface draws scrutiny from NYS

Benny Profane
Hmmmmm......

Round up the usual suspects?

I was thinking after the Killington death, and now this, that blood samples should be taken from victims in these incidents, including those that may have been involved but survived. But, that'll never happen.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
Benny Profane wrote
Hmmmmm......

Round up the usual suspects?

I was thinking after the Killington death, and now this, that blood samples should be taken from victims in these incidents, including those that may have been involved but survived. But, that'll never happen.
Toxicology might be worthwhile.  In 1990, I had a roommate who did ski patrol at Hunter.  He made it seem like half the people at the mountain skied with a flask of schnapps in their pocket.  NB I can't verify that, it could very well be an exaggeration.

Also curious about the time of day / fitness level of the deceased.  Later in the day, when one has already done a few runs and is fatigued.  When I'm tired, I'm more prone to a fall.   Or if one is skiing faster than one's ability and not strong enough to make the skis do what they want.
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I don't think we're ever really going to know.  Anyone, of any ability level can catch an edge and take a dive.  I think like a car, speed is usually a factor.  
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
You should see how some of the Phoenix people do up here between 9500 to 11500 feet after a few beverages.
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
The should make abrasive ski clothing so people don’t slide when the fall. You could select the grit based on the steepness of the terrain. Steep icy trails get a 40, green trails a 180. Just a thought.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Huezee
Yikes.  I still have thoughts about a close call I had back in college when skiing at WF.  I'm not sure which trail I was on at the time, maybe Excelsior, but I was carving some SG turns at probably 6/10's (well within control) and came over a roll and hit a bare spot.  There was no warning and it took everything I had to regain my edge and not sail into the rapidly approaching hardwoods. After I collected myself I noticed two patrollers standing about ~100' below the roll. I yelled to them to mark the bare spot to warn people... they just stared at me and continued to watch people hit the rocks like lemmings at the cliffside.