8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Skiing Big Tupper is Trespassing

MC2 5678F589
Well this is annoying:

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/534798.html

In the absence of operating lifts, people have been hiking the mountain and skiing or snowboarding back down, but LaValley said that shouldn't happen.

"It would be trespassing," LaValley said. "We've got insurance liability issues that people need to be aware of."
Maybe they should just put a "Ski At Your Own Risk" sign up.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Skiing Big Tupper is Trespassing

njadk
That's a bummer. I managed to get there for President's weekend last year...got in 14 runs for $15. Doubt I'll ever beat that again. It really is a shame that they weren't able to stay open.

When they announced the closing for this season, I thought about how many people would make the hike or take a snowmobile up the mountain. With the snowfall so far this season, I expect more than a few people have done it, hence the article. I had a similar conversation with someone about Bearpen Mtn. in the Catskills the other day...if someone is determined enough to make the trek up the mountain, one newspaper article won't stop them.

I'm thinking about their decision to sell a groomer. Even with the pessimistic outlook of the Big Tupper project following the Article 78 suit, why give up that quickly? Selling off their snowmaking equipment years earlier certainly had an impact on their ability to operate the last few seasons...

Al
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Don't ask questions you don't want answers to.  As far as I'm concerned, I have no idea that you're not allowed up there.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
Unlike Gore and Whireface, Tupper is located on privately owned land. Simple concept of private property.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
adkskier wrote
Unlike Gore and Whireface, Tupper is located on privately owned land. Simple concept of private property.
I know. They can do whatever they want on their own property. I was just saying I'd like to be able to ski there without resorting to stealth techniques or worrying about getting arrested for trespassing.

Seems that a simple sign could absolve them of liability, but I'm no lawyer.

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Gore also has a no uphill policy.  lamo, when whiteface is OK with it
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

MC2 5678F589
What if you're on the Schaefer Trail? It's a DEC trail, how can they prevent you from hiking it?
Reply | Threaded
|

Highpeaksdrifter
In reply to this post by adkskier
adkskier wrote
For sure. Like there isn't enough public land up here to ski.
There's truth that lives
And truth that dies
I don't know which
So never mind - Leonard Cohen