campgottagopee
Exactly ^^^^^^

That and I'm not always thirsty when I drink
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skiing the Glades Alone

Adk Jeff
I don't think twice about it.  Reality is I'm with my family or friends 99% of the time.  I enjoy skiing solo, it just doesn't happen much other than for a run or two at a time when I'm with friends who aren't tree skiers (idiots). And if I was at the mountain all by myself for the day, I'd still head in, maybe except for the gnarliest, furthest out, least travelled stuff.  

I do ski my backyard backcountry stuff solo frequently all winter.  Often at night.  I carry my cell phone, which I guess is good only if my wife decides she's going to take my call :)
Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
In reply to this post by Skiray
Skiray wrote
Roger that BIG TIME. Speaking of sharing a skiing experience, what is your nearest mountain and how far are you from Phoenix..
I live in Flagstaff. We are about two hours north of Phoenix on top of the Mogollen Rim at 7000 feet. The ski area is 14 miles and 2300 vertical feet up from the downtown area so it takes me about 20 minutes to get there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Adk Jeff wrote
I do ski my backyard backcountry stuff solo frequently all winter.  Often at night.  I carry my cell phone, which I guess is good only if my wife decides she's going to take my call :)
I think my wife would not take my call if I didn't take her with me too! Ha.
The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
In reply to this post by raisingarizona
In bounds on busy glade days...yes, would ski alone no problem.    

Out of bounds or tight/lonely glades, no.    

My partner(s) and I speak before each drop in.....visual ID as much as possible while keeping your own lines.  Stops and checks on longer trails.

If you carry a whistle (great idea) try to attach it to your jacket near your shoulder.   You may not be able to unzip a pocket.    You don't have to wear it there all season, just when you are in the trees.  

Yep, radios and cell phones.      But honestly....checking your mind/body/ability while skiing is the best solution.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Marcski
I can neither confirm nor deny.
Reply | Threaded
|

snoloco
I only ski alone in glades when it's within view of a trail.  Otherwise I try and avoid doing it.
I've lived in New York my entire life.
Reply | Threaded
|

Spongeworthy
In reply to this post by I:)skiing
I:)skiing wrote
In bounds on busy glade days...yes, would ski alone no problem.    

Out of bounds or tight/lonely glades, no.    

But honestly....checking your mind/body/ability while skiing is the best solution.
Couldn't have said it better.
"They don't think it be like it is, but it do." Oscar Gamble
Reply | Threaded
|

riverc0il
The thing is... if you are skiing an open glade... you are rarely skiing alone. And if for some reason you suffer an accident and you need help, someone is probably going to happen across you in a short amount of time. On map open glades are pretty busy places. You might actually have a better chance of having someone happen upon you in a glade than if you skid off the side of a groomer and go into the woods and no one sees you.

Off map in bounds... depends on the day of the week and traffic patterns and how well known the glade is. But again, there aren't many lesser known secrets any more. Someone is probably going to happen across you unless you are outside of the standard line and schwacking.

Off map out of bounds or very unknown off map in bounds... I guess that is when you ski within yourself a bit more and don't charge hard. But I don't really charge hard in glades.

Due to various circumstances and not having a regular crew that I ski with, I almost always ski trees alone. In bounds, on map, off map, out of bounds, wherever. I backcountry alone as well (for what little true "backcountry" there is around here). Not the safest thing in the world but beats sitting at home twiddling my thumbs or thinking about all the great lines I could be skiing. We all have our own risk tolerance settings. My risk tolerance setting usually boils down to "is it covered in enough snow?" and "are conditions sufficient as to not put me in danger?" My risk tolerance really doesn't question whether or not I am alone no matter what I ski. I may take a more conservative line if I am alone... but I still explore.
Reply | Threaded
|

Peter Minde
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
The only time I ski glades alone is when I'm by myself
+1
Reply | Threaded
|

PeeTex
In reply to this post by campgottagopee
campgottagopee wrote
And I could have sworn you were schizophrenic.
Don't ski the trees, ski the spaces between the trees.
Reply | Threaded
|

Skiray
In reply to this post by Peter Minde
Peter Minde wrote
campgottagopee wrote
+1
Hey I know this guy.. Well hopefully next season you wont be skiing alone because you will be with us!

The family that skis together, stays together.

AlbaAdventures.com
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
In reply to this post by Harvey
Harvey wrote
 but I'm going in regardless.
And why wouldn't you? You took more of a risk driving to the Mtn. The misconception of tree skiing is funny
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
skimore wrote
Harvey wrote
 but I'm going in regardless.
And why wouldn't you? You took more of a risk driving to the Mtn. The misconception of tree skiing is funny
Agree. Actually IMO driving home is the biggest risk.  "Regardless" refers to the sign.

As mentioned I actually feel safer alone.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

I:)skiing
Tree skiing vs Driving.

Tree skiing---you and you alone are in control of your fate.     True the equipment you chose, old, broken, etc, may come into play but 95% if not more, is you.    Your decisions to, go in, turn right, turn left, go faster, try to split some tight wood, or hop a rock.    

Driving---You can pick your car but there can and are always mechanical issues.  50% of accidents are someone else's fault.     Think drunk, drugged or sleeping drivers, texting etc.    Therefore you only control 48-50% of your fate when driving.    

Reply | Threaded
|

raisingarizona
So many variables such as....

Are you familiar with the terrain, hidden obstacles and did you see there area before the last snow storm?
-This is the thinking that goes into skiing bigger terrain/lines for me. Sometimes you have to wait for it.
-This was really important when I was into dropping off of big cliff lines, you better be confident of where and what you are      doing, a 50 foot drop to a hidden rock could kill you or worse.

How are you feeling?

Traffic in said area and rescue difficulty? Also, weather. Is weather moving in and would that make rescue more difficult or impossible?

Feelings on snowpack? Confident in stability?

Of course I'm thinking more about back country than marked glades but some of it could apply.

Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
I used to ski woods alone all the time without thinking about it.  These days I'll ski them alone, but first asses and remind myself that I've got to be more careful.  I go about it as I would going into the woods in any situation.

Have with me: ability to make fire, cell phone, whistle (not on my ass, or in backpack-- but fixed on jacket/zipper that's close to my mouth in case I become immobile.)  Always stay on in an area of confidence or know where it drains in to.
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
I'm thinking RA would chuckle if he saw the Straightbrook Glades.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp