This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Skiing while texting

Michaeltokyo
The FB app on my BB is great wherever I go for uploading pics.  Share the moment (when there's reception).
Reply | Threaded
|

skimore
Harv will be texting all over the hill with his new isotners
Reply | Threaded
|

Chris
Harv doesn't blog while he ski's, he ski's while he blogs.

I carry a cell phone- always nice to have if you get hurt, lost ect.. the only bad thing is breaking the cell phone while skiing, another added risk.

In the backcountry I always bring a camera and cell phone.  While at the resort only a phone unless it's going to be a deep day

I've never been a huge fan of people yapping on the lift- but on the other side of things having a smart phone on the hill allows lots of people to ski much more.  Work from the lift- receiving emails ect
The day begins...  Your mountain awaits.
Reply | Threaded
|

Hoser
In reply to this post by Adk Jeff
Personally hate to bring the cell phone while skiing,  really want to disconnect from the world, but its helpful in an emergency as noted earlier.

Use the texting to keep in contact with the family, never talk during a chair/gondi ride!
Reply | Threaded
|

JasonWx

this is what happens when you txt, while skiing ..

this young lady is buried up to her neck. she skied off the trail while txt ing.. photo was taken at Plattekill just after the 80inch dump..
"Peace and Love"
Reply | Threaded
|

adkskier
While the Gore Patrol doesn't text, they have a dedicated hot line (the bat phone) to take emergency calls from skiers. Program 518.251.3838 into your phone. It's printed on the back of season passes and should be printed on tickets, but I haven't had a ticket to look at. This is just for emergencies like calling 911. Texting has been used for emergencies when skiers got lost in the woods and their phone was too weak for voice communication. That day a patroller tried texting them and successfully communicated with them. There is a fledgling movement among public safety experts to create 911 texting.
I Think, Therefore I Ski
Reply | Threaded
|

Powderqueen
I find the Iphone does it all...music, photos, text, email, FB...all on the lift!
Reply | Threaded
|

Hudsonhiker
I always bring my camera. I just got a new Panasonic Lumix ZS 5 for my birthday. I haven’t tried it in cold weather yet but I think it’s going to be great. When I ski I try to get away from the day to day stuff so no other devices get to go.
I have been known to have a whistle, kazoo, harmonica, horn or other implement for the enjoyment of laughter. I like the singing the best thou. Have FUN and think snow.  
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
I usually have my phone and my iPod. I'm almost always listening to music when I ski, to the point where it feels foreign if I'm not. The phone takes pictures, but I rarely take an actual camera. I'm always meeting up with people on the hill. Since service is shady on Gore, I'll usually try to call them. If no answer, I'll text them rather than leaving a voicemail.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Lots of interesting points-of-view.

I ski with a phone and a small point-and-shoot camera.

It's funny because for five years, I resisted having a landline in the cabin.  I really didn't want to hear the ringer, or to be reachable. When we finally got electricity, we ran the lines underground and included a phone line because it was cheap to do it while the trench was open.

What's happened is that I'm actually able to ski more, because I can work from the mountains. I really don't like doing it, but it's much better than not being there. The cell is also useful as I can work from the car during the drives. I wish life wasn't so compressed, but it is.

Txting has also allowed Zelda and I to dump the (IMO obnoxious) two-way radios we used to use to keep in touch. With Verizon we can't count on being able to connect with voice. One bar will deliver a txt, but not a call. By 1:30, I'm usually skiing solo or with other tree skiers, and it allows us to stay in touch. (Usually I'm negotiating for more time.) Obviously being able to communicate is a luxury, not a necessity. You could just pick a meeting time and stick to it.

And I agree with Hoser... txting is far less rude in the Gondi than voice.

I had a few opportunities to make use of my phone last weekend.  It certainly wasn't crucial by any means, but it was fun on Saturday to watch that lake effect band swing down from Whiteface towards Gore, checking the radar shot on the Harvey Road homepage.  And without txting I wouldn't have snagged a run on Topridge on Sunday.

If I had to choose between the two devices, I'd definitely choose the camera over the phone.

Chris wrote
Harv doesn't blog while he ski's, he ski's while he blogs.
That's poetic Chris. And if I understand what you are saying, you're right.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
Harvey44 wrote
If I had to choose between the two devices, I'd definitely choose the camera over the phone.

But in a crunch, your blackberry has a pretty solid camera on it, no?
Maybe it's just the new generation, but I still would much rather have the phone. Hell, even if I'm setting a meeting place, it's my clock!
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
fujative wrote
Harvey44 wrote

But in a crunch, your blackberry has a pretty solid camera on it, no?
Maybe it's just the new generation, but I still would much rather have the phone. Hell, even if I'm setting a meeting place, it's my clock!
Neither camera is really great.  The BB camera has much better color and saturation. The sharpness isn't all that good, but it would work for blogging.  The are two issues with it ...  the delay on the shutter is REALLY long, sometimes it's 2 or 3 seconds.  Fine for setting the scene, but no good for capturing skiers.  Plus I still haven't figured out how to download the pics, except one at time by emailing them to myself.  I'm sure there is a way to do this, but I have tried and can't figure it out.

I have also stopped wearing a watch on the hill because I have my phone.
Reply | Threaded
|

Sick Bird Rider
I don't have a cell phone. Do ski with a camera. I can see the benefits though: one time my nephew Pudd checked the Jay snow report on his Crackberry while we were riding the lift, saw how inaccurate it was and sent them an email complaining about it.
Love Jay Peak? Hate Jay Peak? You might enjoy this: The Real Jay Peak Snow Report
Reply | Threaded
|

tBatt
In reply to this post by Harvey
True, Harv, the lag is incredibly annoying. The resolution isn't great, either.

Does your BB have a Micro SD card in it? If so, then it's pretty easy.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
In reply to this post by JasonWx
JasonWx wrote
Jason really needs to come clean and tell this story in it's entirety.
Reply | Threaded
|

Snowballs
Banned User
Yep.