classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Skiing with a Pulled Hamstring

Adrider83
So,

I was driving to the gym Tuesday night...something inspired me to hit the local track instead (I was a 400 runner and hurdler through college).  Needless to say, 10 years later, I don't still got it.  I pulled my hamstring...fairly badly.  Can walk slowly, with a small limp.

Aside from rest, ice, compression, elevation, anyone else have tips?  Any one ever skied with a pulled hamstring?  I feel like I could probably ski easy in a week, but no real point in pushing it, at this point.   Nice way to cap off season 2016.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Skiing with a Pulled Hamstring

ml242
Anecdotal, but go to your nearest chinatown and get a massage. I couldn't walk a couple years ago after pulling my hamstring on the roadbike and it really helped me out.
frk
Reply | Threaded
|

frk
In reply to this post by Adrider83
I am a PT,skier, and runner who has skied with a strained hamstring. Generally, skiing modestly will be probably be ok but why take a chance. Here is some simple advice. Don't stretch at this time as it will just retear healing tissue. Stretching is ok later in healing process. When you can walk without a limp you can start jogging again. Look up Nordic hamstring drills. Once you've have strained a hamstring, you are likely to be a repeat customer. Suggest you have 1-2 pt visits for instruction and guidance for simple, lifelong hamstring harmony. There is too much info on Internet for a layperson to filter so that is why I suggest seeing a PT. anyone who is self directed can rehab self once given good instruction.
Reply | Threaded
|

Harvey
Administrator
Bummer bud.  

I tore my hamstring in a season ending injury on Sagamore at Gore.  It was horrible as I had to ski on one leg in some serious mank down to the BRQ back up and then down Echo to the base.  I'm embarrassed to say I was on the wrong side of patrol that day and felt I had to rescue myself to be fair.

My only good fortune that day was a one week old car that was my first automatic trans ever, so I was able to drive home.

I got a huge bruise on my leg and it hurt like hell.

Got nothing helpful to add but sorry about this, and get well soon.
"You just need to go at that shit wide open, hang on, and own it." —Camp
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Find a good physical therapist, ask him/her about a good massage therapist, and use and listen to both. This is what I have learned after arriving in Colorado this year with a knee full of water. You don't know better.
funny like a clown
Reply | Threaded
|

Adrider83
Thanks for the advice all.  Unfortunately, I am a repeat customer, from my college days as a hurdler.  However, this is my first pull since college (about 10 years)...that's what I get for trying to hurdle/sprint again.  

After two full days, it is still sensitive, but I'm essentially walking without a limp.  Last time this happened, I had a team of trainers working to help me get better, so I'm just trying to make sure I do what I can, now that I'm on my own, to make sure I don't rush back, etc.  Time to fish some more, I suppose.
Reply | Threaded
|

tjf1967
If you are sure you just pulled it tape it up and ski it out.  At some point you will feel it let go and all the soreness will drain away.  I am no Dr. just saying what works for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

JTG4eva!
tjf1967 wrote
I am no Dr.
But did you stay at a Holiday Inn last night?

Worst injury I've had since my school days was a grade 3 gastroc tear, the result of attempting running I probably shouldn't have been doing, especially without having stretched properly.  But, damn it all, I was gonna show those kids how a proper wind sprint was done.....until, POP!  Well, POP! On the first push off.  30 to 40 year old muscles don't like to be thrown back into running, I guess!
We REALLY need a proper roll eyes emoji!!
Z
Reply | Threaded
|

Z
In reply to this post by tjf1967
My wife bought this stuff called Mag Butter from 2 Loons Apothecary in AuSable for my son during X-C running season last fall.  I've been using it on strained muscles and it is amazing stuff.  I had a tight hammy back in January and 3 days after putting this stuff on a couple times a day and it was gone.  Pulled a groin muscle a couple weeks ago in a two chair pile up on the top of the summit quad when the liftie wasn't paying attention.  Two days of this stuff and it went away.  Normally those pulls on a late 40's body take weeks to get rid of.
if You French Fry when you should Pizza you are going to have a bad time
Reply | Threaded
|

Benny Profane
Adrider83 wrote
Thanks for the advice all.  Unfortunately, I am a repeat customer, from my college days as a hurdler.  However, this is my first pull since college (about 10 years)...that's what I get for trying to hurdle/sprint again.  

After two full days, it is still sensitive, but I'm essentially walking without a limp.  Last time this happened, I had a team of trainers working to help me get better, so I'm just trying to make sure I do what I can, now that I'm on my own, to make sure I don't rush back, etc.  Time to fish some more, I suppose.

Find someone who dry needles and applies KTape, and a good masseuse who will hurt you (don't be a pussy). Stay off of it if you can, dummy, and think good thoughts. Oh, drink a lot of water before you drink.
funny like a clown